Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to take delivery of my car tomorrow and have seen this mod in numerous sigs throughout this forum. However after searching through many pages I cant seem to narrow down what in fact it is and what it does.

If someone could point me to the appropriate thread or info on this mod it would be greatly apprecriated.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
The factory design is made so that the oil blow back through the crank case will be shot into the manifold and burned up and spit out...EPA reg. The prob with this design is that it will cuase knock reatard and chitty uneven idiling due to the oil collecting on the bottom of the pentium plate. The catch can catches this befor it can do that....You need it! I run one and would not think twice about not running one. I check mine about once a month and it is usually 1/4 full of nasty oil that you need to dispose of. Do not put it back into the motor. Billett Technologies makes the best one hands down IMO

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The factory design is made so that the oil blow back through the crank case will be shot into the manifold and burned up and spit out...EPA reg. The prob with this design is that it will cuase knock reatard and chitty uneven idiling due to the oil collecting on the bottom of the pentium plate. The catch can catches this befor it can do that....You need it! I run one and would not think twice about not running one. I check mine about once a month and it is usually 1/4 full of nasty oil that you need to dispose of. Do not put it back into the motor. Billett Technologies makes the best one hands down IMO
Thanks for the info. Any links on the most ecnomical place to buy one? Its looking at though one of them, a CAI and a predator are going to be fairly quick on the purchase list.

Feel free to pm me if open discussion regarding purchases is not allowed here as im new and may need to possibly read further into the rules and regulations.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Money should not be an issue with the catch can...spend the 100 bucks for a BT one. You can discuss buying stuff here as long as your talking about a certified vendor. Call Josh @ High Horse Performance or BMC Performance. I`m pretty sure you can get all of it from BMC

·
Registered
183 Posts
Billet Tech hands down superior quality.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I just ordered mine through Diablo. about $150 US i think it was. hopefully have it next week.

·
Registered
928 Posts
An SRT engineer put it best here:

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=253099&postcount=128

The (filtered) air that is pulled into the crankcase to gather blow-by is pulled (under vacuum) into the combustion process by-way of the intake manifold.

"Blow-by" consists of unspent air/fuel mixture that escapes past the rings, and as a result of oil being thrown about by the internal rotating components, it also contains some suspended oil particles (vapor).

As to the claims that oil produces knock by lowering octane-rating, the amount required to do so would drain the pan LONG before the next oil change was due. Some oil might be ingested during hard cornering, but it is momentary.

As to the contents of a catchcan; it's engine oil...sometimes there's water intermingled (it won't mix) as a result of cold start-up and evacuation of condensate present in the crankcase. Perfectly normal, and occurs in every engine on the planet (look how much condensate exits your exhaust system after cold-start-up).

The contents can be poured back into the engine, your engine will not care one way or the other as that same condensate will evaporate (again).

Catchcans are touchy-feely things :^)

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Whatever Mobius....do you really think an SRT Engineer would admit we needed one? Your one of 2 that thinks we dont need one. To the op, dont listen to this guy as he thinks catchcans are the antichrist.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Thanks for the info. Looking quite forward to picking up this car tomorrow. First Dodge i've ever owned.

Congrats on your new Charger! your going to love it....

Get the catch can for sure...

Check out BT or Stack performance both Quality catch cans....

·
Registered
928 Posts
Ya...I guess your right, all those SRT engineers who designed the LX platforms are liar's and cheats...steal babies and kill puppies too :^)

Last I looked folks are entitled to their opinion; it appears when the facts clash with your idea of the truth, everyone becomes a heretic...good luck with that :^)

Now instead of taking "my" word for it, I respectfully suggest the thread-starter dig a little deeper...maybe talk to folks who actually know a little(!) more about these things than you do.

Whatever Mobius....do you really think an SRT Engineer would admit we needed one? Your one of 2 that thinks we dont need one. To the op, dont listen to this guy as he thinks catchcans are the antichrist.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts