Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new headers and exhaust led to error codes P0420 & P0430, which translate to:

Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Banks 1 & 2).

Cleared it once, but it came right back. Is this coming from the O2 sensors, or somewhere else? I'd like to know before I take her back in the shop, so I don't have to watch the wingnuts scratch their heads for a half hour.
:)

Thanks in advance,

Mr M

·
Registered
13,222 Posts
Share it with us! Please!

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oops, sorry. I have Kooks Long Tubes. I found the old conversation about the O2 sensors from like, October of last year.

Yes, I am slow.

As for the answer, I'm just getting around to asking if someone has come up with the simulator doo-hicky that fools the system into thinking all is A-OK...

"Has come up with the simulator doo-hicky that fools the system into thinking all is A-OK?"

:)

·
Registered
481 Posts
all hemis with longtubes throw those two codes. my latest try are the mechanicl o2 sims. they are working so far. thanks again blkout. hate the cel light. it will drive you nuts.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
The high flow cats are the problem...they flow too well for the o2's to keep enough heat to operate within the pcm's paremeters..

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
rick - when the hell did you post this bud?

i have never seen this before man.....ordering them right now if they are working for everyone else.

mr.morgan - i think you are the first kooks i have seen with this issue....it has mostly been the dynatechs for some reason.

i am still wondering if the mopars are throwing codes? anyone?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I told blkout about them when he installed his magnaflow hi flow cats and threw cells...There's a couple of threads about it...Blkout has used them for a month or so with no cats and no cells...

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
slickrick said:
The high flow cats are the problem...they flow too well for the o2's to keep enough heat to operate within the pcm's paremeters..

Where did you get that explanation from? On most cars, it's usually that the 02 diffrence betweeen the 2 sensors is diffrent then stock. Hence the CEL. Never heard of the sensor being too cool.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
slickrick said:
I told blkout about them when he installed his magnaflow hi flow cats and threw cells...There's a couple of threads about it...Blkout has used them for a month or so with no cats and no cells...
ok i ordered one to see what happens. hopefully have it before the weekend to install and see if it will help or not....

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
falchulk said:
Where did you get that explanation from? On most cars, it's usually that the 02 diffrence betweeen the 2 sensors is diffrent then stock. Hence the CEL. Never heard of the sensor being too cool.
Ok...heat isn't a factor ?

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GoDaddy said:
ok i ordered one to see what happens...
Just takes one? I'd think it would take two.

I'd also think the electrical simulators were a surer bet, as they're sending the correct voltage back to the computer constantly. The mechanical ones look like they merely back the sensor out of the exhaust pipe a bit. Why that would would work, and work for every application, is beyond my mental capacity.

But, it's been often said that I have no O2 sense. :)

Mr M

·
Registered
143 Posts
Iwas under the impression the mopar header package with the high flow cats wouldnt do this...please correct me if I'm wrong.:confused:

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Normally what is done on most other cars would be to leave the sensor before the cat alone. Then replace the rear with a dummy one (really just a resistor with a fixed value). I dont know if the Charger setup prevents this though.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts