Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Dodge Charger SXT; Triple Nickel
1,520 Posts
Get ready for a slew of different opinions.

I use Mobile 1 Synthetic. There may be better out there, perhaps Royal Purple, but I never tried it. I’ve been reading some good stuff about Valvoline Full Synthetic though.
At the rate that I change my oil I’m not sure it would make much difference. I go by the cars DIC, it’s usually pretty spot on 7,500-8,000 miles.

Lord, I haven’t used Castrol in so long that I had forgotten about them until I read your post.
As long as you keep up on your changes I would think that it’s fine. Your driving style could dictate which is best as well.
I put a lot of hard miles on mine daily, that’s why I choose Mobil 1, I trust it.

Reactions: 22SmokeshowGT

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I'm all for giving new oils a try and using what you like. I've been an MB1 guy for years. The only thing I'd be interested in trying next would be AMSoil, but the MB1 has been great and I don't feel a need to change. I've had 4 vehicles I've used it it now, 2 of my Chargers, and my wife's Infiniti and now Benz.

You'll get a bunch of opinions, but Castrol is a known name that I'd have no problem using.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
Any synthetic oil in the proper viscosity is going to be just fine. The V6 isn't nearly as demanding on the oil as the tick-monsters.

Best,

·
Registered
7,490 Posts

I've been driving Alfas for years, you would not believe the racket a discussion about oils tends to turn out in that niche 🙃
This forum used to be that way when we had a vendor that would push product whenever any thread mentioned the word oil, lubrication, and a number of other things. It was kinda funny, actually.

:)

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
2,064 Posts
Any synthetic oil in the proper viscosity is going to be just fine. The V6 isn't nearly as demanding on the oil as the tick-monsters.

Best,
At first I was like......
Cartoon Art Font Recreation Fictional character

But then....
Hair Nose Head Cartoon Eye

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
2,064 Posts
This forum used to be that way when we had a vendor that would push product whenever any thread mentioned the word oil, lubrication, and a number of other things. It was kinda funny, actually.

:)

Sorry I ruined that. But hey, don't say you have no affiliation with a company and that the product you sell it strictly yours, but then said product has a EPA required registration by the company you originally said you had no affiliation with.

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
2,064 Posts
Mobil 1 for me. I suffered a Cam failure early on my ownership. I repaired it. I would say even with the rough life I have done, (many drag strip runs and road trips) it has faired well. Wear numbers still are fantastic.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Screenshot

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Love this post because it has stats instead of feels and vibes.
Agreed.
BTW, @CE9311, where do you send for that?
I obviously don’t run mine like a lot of you, you know us lower trim models😂, but it would be interesting to see merely for longevity purposes.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
Agreed.
I obviously don’t run mine like a lot of you, you know us lower trim models😂, but it would be interesting to see merely for longevity purposes.

They'll send you the test sample bottle for free which includes a box for free shipping back to them (if you ship from within the US). On your next oil change, fill the sample bottle about half way and send it back to them. They'll charge you $30 and send the results back like you see above.

Best,

• Helpful
Reactions: Rhill1124

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
2,064 Posts
Agreed.
As Ritz stated I use Blackstone. I have used them for years with various other cars, trucks and even aircraft.

There is an addtional test for "TBN" which is indicator of active additive in the oil for wear. Even with such a long trip I had a decent amount left before requiring a change. This test is additional fee but worth it if you are wanting to extend oil changes.

I use to do 4K full syn oil changes on the Charger but not extend to 5K knowing I still have the protection. Although I have greatly if not completely cut back on my Hard usage as before as I want to get more road trips out of the car.

And far as lower trim models, Plenty of people look down on us Pursuits cause we don't have leather and heated cooled cupholders along with fancery body stuff. But who cares. If you enjoy your car and get what you want out of it does no matter. If I had a chance to grab a newer 300 Series with a Pentastar I totally would. Be a fantastic long distance trip car if I were not planning on doing rully rully fun stuff.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
I've been reading quite a bit about Castrol Edge 5w20 and wonder if anyone here uses it instead of Pennzoil 5w20.
What have you been reading about CE 5-20 that would cause concern or prompt asking if others are using it? Use what meets the specification. In my opinion oil brand loyalty falls in line with all other forms of brand loyalty. Most of it is opinions.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
What have you been reading about CE 5-20 that would cause concern or prompt asking if others are using it? Use what meets the specification. In my opinion oil brand loyalty falls in line with all other forms of brand loyalty. Most of it is opinions.
I've been loyal to MB1, but that's because it has worked for me and I don't feel like changing it up for no real reason. I'd have no problem running Castrol, Valvoline, Royal Purple, Pennzoil, AMSoil or really anything that's the correct oil for the vehicle. People swear Super Tech is good and Amazon oil.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
]And far as lower trim models, Plenty of people look down on us Pursuits cause we don't have leather and heated cooled cupholders along with fancery body stuff. But who cares. If you enjoy your car and get what you want out of it does no matter. If I had a chance to grab a newer 300 Series with a Pentastar I totally would. Be a fantastic long distance trip car if I were not planning on doing rully rully fun stuff.
I agree, I was making a joke off of a joke (I think it was a joke) Anguish made in another thread.
I love my SXT, serves me very well and is very comfortable. I love all of the other models as well, they just don’t suit my life right now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been reading quite a bit about Castrol Edge 5w20 and wonder if anyone here uses it instead of Pennzoil 5w20.
Dodge recommends a synthetic blend (half synthetic and half petroleum base). Such as Pennzoil 5W-20 in hot climates. Kind words from my dealership. Engine runs cool, and lifters have plenty of hydraulic pressure. My 392 Scat Pack gets 30 MPG on the hwy.

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts

They'll send you the test sample bottle for free which includes a box for free shipping back to them (if you ship from within the US). On your next oil change, fill the sample bottle about half way and send it back to them. They'll charge you $30 and send the results back like you see above.
Just mailed my first sample in today from oil change at 130k miles. This could be interesting. I hope it’s not frightening, they may tell me something that I didn’t really want to know.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts