Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom has an 08 Charger 3.5 V6. This morning while taking our foster kids to school, the car drove to the school just fine, but when she went to leave it wouldn't start. She turned the key on, the dash lit up like normal, and then she tried to start the car, and it all died. Janitor at the school jump started her, it took 15 minutes and several tries to get it to start. Then she drove it home, let it idle for a while and then it just died, and the same thing happened. We've tried to jump it again but to no avail. I had a friends car for the day, my truck is in the driveway. She parked the car in front of the driveway to empty it out and then it died. Now the car is stuck in park. When I got home I tested all the fuses, the battery, voltage at the jumper box under the hood, and everything checks out fine. The car has no power to anything but the dome lamps.When I tried to start it the first time, it had nothing but a dim red light on the dash. I tried it again after checking the battery/starter connections, and it acted normal, the dash lit up, the stereo display lit up, and then I tried to start it, the starter solenoid popped and the car lost all power again, which my mom states is exactly what happened this morning. I had my dad test the voltage at the jumper box under the hood. With they key on, voltage went from 12.6 to 12.3, when I went to start it, voltage dropped to 7. My mechanic friend recommended a new starter relay, autozone has them in stock for cheap. However, I did some Googling and this relay doesn't explain losing power to the whole car. I'm reading the problem is the WIN module.

Does anyone have any insight here? It's very important I get the car moved asap, at least out of the way of my driveway. We have 2 keys, and I tried both, no change with either key. We cannot afford as trip to the dealer right now, so please help me out here with some info guys!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
I'd suspect a bad battery. We've had lots of them test "good" but be problematic. The car is an 08 so the battery is likely 5+ years old.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd suspect a bad battery. We've had lots of them test "good" but be problematic. The car is an 08 so the battery is likely 5+ years old.
The battery is currently on the bench on the charger, it took 5 minutes and it said charge complete, so I have it on the trickle charge over night, will reinstall in the morning. I came across a post on another forum where the issue was the PCM, so who knows at this point, but we need the car up and running ASAP.

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
237 Posts
The battery is currently on the bench on the charger, it took 5 minutes and it said charge complete, so I have it on the trickle charge over night, will reinstall in the morning. I came across a post on another forum where the issue was the PCM, so who knows at this point, but we need the car up and running ASAP.

Thanks for the response!
If the battery is bad charging isn't going to fix it, at least not long term. You might get enough juice to start it once though. You mentioned it was stuck in park. If you remove the rubber tray from the right side of the shift lever there's a slot you can stick the key into that will let you shift it out of park. With some muscle to help, you should at least be able to get it out of the way of your truck while you troubleshoot.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yep, battery first, much more likely to fail than any of those other things.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I had a one year old battery in our minivan suddenly die for no reason. One of the cells shorted and dropped the overall output voltage. A new battery fixed the issue. It was originally starting the van with no problems, no sluggish cranking, nothing. We stopped at an Advance Auto to buy something else. Went out to leave and -no crank-, just relay clicking. WTH!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
x2 on whoever said charging the battery wont fix the issue. When goofy things happen like that and don't throw a check engine light, it's usually the battery.

Let us know what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts