Charger Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my trusty oil changing service (have been using them for years with my wife's 4runner) and had my first oil change (did this at 2000). I requested synthetic oil as well. -Well this morning (2600 miles later) my check-engine light went on. The dealer said the error message reports an oil pressure problem. I checked my oil change receipt and it appears 5-40 wt had been used at 2000mi, not 5-20. Even if i knew this at the time I wouldn't have blinked. -but the dealer tells me even 5-40 is thick enough to cause problems. So.. it appears I'll be going to the dealer for my oil changes from here on (even though they aren't carrying a 5-20 synthetic). The 5.7 is very particular.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I went to my trusty oil changing service (have been using them for years with my wife's 4runner) and had my first oil change (did this at 2000). I requested synthetic oil as well. -Well this morning (2600 miles later) my check-engine light went on. The dealer said the error message reports an oil pressure problem. I checked my oil change receipt and it appears 5-40 wt had been used at 2000mi, not 5-20. Even if i knew this at the time I wouldn't have blinked. -but the dealer tells me even 5-40 is thick enough to cause problems. So.. it appears I'll be going to the dealer for my oil changes from here on (even though they aren't carrying a 5-20 synthetic). The 5.7 is very particular.

I wouldn't go to a Jiffy Lube type place if my life depended on it. I take my oil and filter to the dealership. They're just a bunch of kids on crack putting God knows what in your car.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I wouldn't go to a Jiffy Lube type place if my life depended on it. I take my oil and filter to the dealership. They're just a bunch of kids on crack putting God knows what in your car.
Wow dude I'm not going to get into it again cause i started a thread on this very thing about a week ago...this is a BS message.

That is all.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Personally, I don't trust the dealerships any more than the quick lubes. I do my own changes and I know it is done and done right.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I went to Oil Can Henry's for mine. They did a great job and they poured in 7 quarts of Mobil 1, one quart at a time. Insanely expensive but the manager gave me $10 off for peeling ass on the way out :rockon:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Wow dude I'm not going to get into it again cause i started a thread on this very thing about a week ago...this is a BS message.

That is all.

All I know is that there are a lot of people that avoid the franchise quick lube places.

I'm not saying if you go to JL you WILL get boned...but the chances are higher.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Personally, I don't trust the dealerships any more than the quick lubes. I do my own changes and I know it is done and done right.

AMEN!

As I've said before:

Letting someone else change your oil is like artificial insemination. The result may be the same, but it's not nearly as much fun, and you can never really be sure the right fluid was used...

·
Registered
453 Posts
AMEN!

As I've said before:

Letting someone else change your oil is like artificial insemination. The result may be the same, but it's not nearly as much fun, and you can never really be sure the right fluid was used...

·
Registered
708 Posts
All I know is that there are a lot of people that avoid the franchise quick lube places.

I'm not saying if you go to JL you WILL get boned...but the chances are higher.
But you're sure we can score some crack, right?

·
Registered
636 Posts
AMEN!

As I've said before:

I am glad I have been doing this much correctly, never really like artifical insemination anyway....

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
At the dealer your car disappears, then reappears. Who knows what happen. I know the guys at Pep Boys, I can see them and my car thru the window, and they allow me in the bay area.
I bring my oil since most of the time they are out of Royal Purple.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Not only does changing your own ensure it's done right but it is cheaper and faster.

I can change into work clothes, change the oil, inspect everything on the service list, and rotate the tires in less time than it takes to drive ($3 a gallon) to a stealership or QL place.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you use a quick lube place, just hover over them...don't let anything happen that you don't see. I do change my own oil, but I have used quick changes places many times with many cars, and have had no problems...ever.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
My dealership gave me free oil changes up to 36K miles, so I take advantage of that, if it wasn't free I would do it myself. Even the Dodge dealer shorted me a quart of oil one time, took me aa week to catch it, they did it again for free, lol. I always check everything right after leaving the dealer.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I went to Oil Can Henry's for mine. They did a great job and they poured in 7 quarts of Mobil 1, one quart at a time. Insanely expensive but the manager gave me $10 off for peeling ass on the way out :rockon:

Just go to Walmart and get the Mobil1 5-20. It's like only 5 bucks a quart, sometimes less.

And yeah, the MDS system does like anything higher than 20 weight.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I often don't have time to do my own changes and I use a local Jiffy Lube type place. These guys are great. Tehy love hte Charger and the head guy had his own shop for years - plus they let me stay right there and watch.
I did have a bad Jiffy Lube experience a long time ago. Long story but when my girlfriend got to NY from Philly in her car it wouldn't start. Put it on a lift and whoops - no oil drain plug. She had been to Jiffy Lube only hours before.

Dealer could make the same mistake.

·
Registered
953 Posts
there ya go
thats the only way to do it

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Just go to Walmart and get the Mobil1 5-20. It's like only 5 bucks a quart, sometimes less.

And yeah, the MDS system does like anything higher than 20 weight.
Mine uses the 0w 40 and my local Walmarts didn't have it in stock. Costco carries Mobil 1 but not 0w 40. I was having a hard time finding it for a good deal.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Anything bad can happen at any place. Personally, I don't believe it's quite a likely at a dealership though.

I used to go to Uncle Ed's (they're probably not in every state) until they stripped my drain plug. And of course didn't say anything, just let me drive off. I hardly made it 1.5 miles before all the oil had drained out. The manager neatly pointed to the "we're not responsible" sign, as if that was an end all getting them out of responsibility. I convinced him that I too would not be responsible for anything I did as a result of this. He finally got the message that the business, owner, himself, and every employee working there that day, in particular the screw up who stripped my plug, that this would turn into a life changing event - all that just to get them to own up and replace the oil pan. They did eventually pay for it all.

I wasn't really the businesses fault directly, just some lazy kid who didn't bother to know any better. But they could have done more to avoid such a mishap, like better hiring screening and training, and a more management involvement.

There is a local shop where I live (Penzoil or Valvoline) that always has the owner / manager right there watching everything. When I used to go there, I always tried to pull into his bay. He's been doing it for years, and I know he has that down pat. It's not that hard, but when it's MY car, I want a person who knows what they're doing.

So like Skeletonizer said above - I do my own now, and know how it's done (and save a little money too).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts