I beat that a charger will never ever see that amount of miles

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
nearly sickening..

·
Registered
751 Posts
Maybe or maybe not, regular maintenance and long periods of driving are the key. Why do you think highway tractors last so long, true the engine design is a little different than that of a passenger vehicle diesel but its the conditions they run in mostly. Taxi cabs are a good example, lots of them get hundreds of thousands of miles and accomplish it by never shutting down and being reasonably maintained. The hardest thing for wear on a properly maintained motor is startup, we don't have the benefit of a prelube system like a lot of larger motors do( heavy equipment, compressor motors and so forth)and a motor wears very little while running because the oil is protecting all the bearing surfaces and cylinder walls.

I have seen a few others more recently, Penzoil bought a guys 1995 Chev 4X4 when it broke a million miles and pulled the motor out and use it as an add campaign( of course he used Penzoil). Mind you I am Chevy TBI biased, I respect the 87-95 trucks and passenger car ( up to 93 in the Caprice) motors, they are pretty bulletproof, mine and few friends were living proof of that. 96 up is another story, what a bunch of garbage, Vortec=Junk.

Either way its all in the maintenance and mostly in the conditions, the less startups a motor sees the longer it lives.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
As much as I love my Changer and support the big 3 you can't deny the longevity of some Japanese cars. When I meet my wife she was driving a 91 Acura which we still own. The car has a little over 300K and is still running strong. I'm about to teach my second child to drive in that car.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Impressive... but watch him trade it in for something like a Charger. :)

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
dammm tht sickkkk

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
yea thats really impressive. i cant imagine driving 200 miles a day average... thats crazy. i'm too lazy to look it up again but i remember reading in the guiness book of world records, theres an old (rear engine) vw bug that has over 2 million miles on the original motor... thats crazy... but yea like other ppl said its all about hwy time and maintenance

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I bet that guy had to do an oil change every. That is a lot of mile. I probably won't drive that many miles in my life.

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
"That's 200-plus miles a day. Every day. Including Sundays. For 12 years. "

I find it a bit hard to believe. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that it's a hoax.

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
As stated in the article (which I obviously can't verify as true), the poor guy drove cross-country every month for 12 years...

Quickie from Mapquest: Atlanta, GA - Seattle, WA:
Total Est. Time: 38 hours, 53 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 2677.41 miles

I do know my company has many salesmen that travel a lot, and some of them have darned-high mileage on their cars, including Ford Taureses (Taurii?). I could take a quick e-mail survey at work and find out what kind of miles they have.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
As much as I love my Changer and support the big 3 you can't deny the longevity of some Japanese cars. When I meet my wife she was driving a 91 Acura which we still own. The car has a little over 300K and is still running strong. I'm about to teach my second child to drive in that car.
you cant even bring import longevity to the forefront here. Domestics do the same thing all day long if maintained properly. I can post pics of several f150's i work on with 300k plus, some near 450 and these are work trucks. You can google and get even more pics. Imports are no more reliable than domestics. ITs all about who works on the car and how much money is spent on maintence

·
Registered
48 Posts
you cant even bring import longevity to the forefront here. Domestics do the same thing all day long if maintained properly. I can post pics of several f150's i work on with 300k plus, some near 450 and these are work trucks. You can google and get even more pics. Imports are no more reliable than domestics. ITs all about who works on the car and how much money is spent on maintence
Agreed, i have a 98 TransAM here that can beat 98% chargers on this board and it has 189k on it. its all about taking care of it. It slaps my srt8 charger/cherokee all day long. Cherokee can hang with it in 1/8 but after that its all over for the srt's

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I bet mine does. I got the lifetime power train warranty:grin:
Well, what are you waiting for?
Ill sit here and wait for the next 12 years!
See ya later !

·
Registered
378 Posts
Wasn't there an old Audi or a Volvo that had over a million miles and the car company of what ever car it was gave the owner a new one. I know I have seen that somewheres. Some one let me know if I'm not making this up. LOL!!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Honda should give him a New car! FREE

·
Registered
338 Posts
Agreed on most of the responses here. It is all about how you maintain the car. Both import and domestic alike, it can be accomplished. Just my 2 cents... But this is my first domestic, b4 this I was an import freak but converted to the mopar muscle! :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts