Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys! I own a 2010 Dodge Charger (V6). About 9-10 months ago, out of nowhere, my car started to vibrate at a very specific speed, 45-50mph. It would happen randomly, and it would only happen when I slowly pressed the gas pedal (but not all way). It should also be noted that if I ever fully pressed the gas pedal, or released it and pressed it again, the vibration would not occur. So it was as if the vibration had to do with a certain position of the gas pedal along with a certain speed of the car.

At first I just ignored it because the vibration was not that noticeable, but with time the intensity and frequency of it increased. A few months down the road, the vibration started occurring at speeds like 60 mph, or even 70 mph, but the most occurring point for it is still at 45-50mph. Now, this is where I got alerted and started paying visits to various mechanics to get things checked. We ran computerized tests, and we also tried to fix other issues which may or may not be related. So far, I have done the following:

• Changed the tires, they're brand new now
  • Had the fuel injectors cleaned
  • Replaced the rocker arms/bushing that was damaged
  • Changed the gear oil and the differential oil
  • Changed the mounting for the engine and the gear
  • Had the throttle body cleaned
  • Changed the Brake Switch (probably unrelated anyway)

But with my luck, the issue didn't totally go away even after doing all of that. Although, I would say that when I got the fuel injectors and the Throttle Body cleaned (this month), the frequency of this vibration problem dropped dramatically, but it is still there. The computerized diagnosis doesn't show any errors related to the engine, gear, or the throttle body itself. Upon my last visit, the mechanic at MOPAR said that there's a chance that the motor of the throttle body could be faulty. But since I've pretty much emptied my wallet fixing so many things, I didn't want to go with another suggestion without being absolutely sure that it's worth it.

Apart from the vibration issue, I think it's worth mentioning that I also feel some stalling when my car's idle and I slowly start to accelerate. It's only felt when, again, I press the gas pedal gently. Also, if I am driving at any speed, if I release the gas pedal and press it again, right after pressing it gently I would feel a very, very small jerk. As if something was preventing me from accelerating and it just got out of the way. That jerk doesn't happen while I'm accelerating with my foot on the gas pedal, it's usually at the very beginning. I think it is also somehow related to the stalling that I feel when I move from idle to an accelerating state. However, I never feel any jerks or stalls if I'm constantly accelerating at higher speeds. The car can easily do a 100mph without trouble.

On a final note, to explain how the vibration feels like, it's as if it's coming from the front half of the car, mainly the engine area. It is also felt around my feet as I press the gas pedal as well, but it is strong enough to let the driver and the shotgun passenger feel like the car's shaking. Keep in mind that this vibration would keep occurring as long as I hold the gas pedal in that certain position which triggered it. It would stop occurring if I press it further, or if I release and press it again. Very random.

I hope I can get some assistance on this issue. It's been a real pain dealing with it in the past few months. Thank you guys for reading until the end. :)

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Try some quality premium fuel then go back to mid grade. Add your preferred fuel additive. Over the counter (lol) i recommend Chevron's fuel system cleaner to diagnose a dirty system, then if that seems to help use Aces IV from our vendor Bndautomotive.com here afterwards.
You might have carbon build up if you use higher grade fuel all the time or never actually drive your car like you stole it lol. Idk what happened to it but I swear my signature had my favorite saying, An Open Throttle run a day keeps the Carbon away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try some quality premium fuel then go back to mid grade. Add your preferred fuel additive. Over the counter (lol) i recommend Chevron's fuel system cleaner to diagnose a dirty system, then if that seems to help use Aces IV from our vendor Bndautomotive.com here afterwards.
You might have carbon build up if you use higher grade fuel all the time or never actually drive your car like you stole it lol. Idk what happened to it but I swear my signature had my favorite saying, An Open Throttle run a day keeps the Carbon away.
But that's the thing though, I drive my car every single day. The average amount of miles that I drive per day is 50, since my home and workplace has quite a lot of distance. I did consider the premium quality fuel thing a while back, thought it would make a difference but it didn't. Currently I'm using the recommended fuel type for my car anyway.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Have you had any exhaust work done?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Could be a trans mount
The way he is describing the problem my money would be a mount and if he replaced the mounts did he use OE or a cheap aftermarket?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I'd look at the driveshaft. Plenty of wear parts there that can lead to vibration.

You can swap a used one in cheaply enough, or rebuild & rebalance the one you've got.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you had any exhaust work done?
Nope, no history of any exhaust work.

Sounds like a broken or weak motor mount
Got them both replaced back in August. Didn't notice any change before or after the replacement. The issue existed about 5-6 months prior to the replacement anyway.

did he use OE or a cheap aftermarket?
All authentic, from MOPAR.

Maybe driveshaft center bearing is going out?
I'd look at the driveshaft. Plenty of wear parts there that can lead to vibration.
Hmm... haven't thought about that. I've had the car physically inspected a couple of times recently. Nobody ever pointed out any signs of trouble with the driveshaft. 🤔

So you guys don't think it could be related to the throttle body?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Look at the driveshaft center bearing & carrier. Before loosening it grab it and see if its loosely mounted. If its tightly secured mark the position with a sharpie because the bolt holes in the mount flange allow for movement. Mark its current position somehow.

Loosen it pull it down a little so you can rotate it and feel for bearing wear or stiffness.

Good Luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts