Charger Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped my car off on Friday to get a cam installed, and I still don't have it back. :( It is taking for ever. I was going to get it back today, but they said when they were changing the valve springs, one of the keepers flew off and they couldn't find it, so they have to overnight one, and I'll get my car back tomorrow. I can't wait to get my car back. Hopefully when I get my car back, it will all have been worth it.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I dropped my car off on Friday to get a cam installed, and I still don't have it back. :( It is taking for ever. I was going to get it back today, but they said when they were changing the valve springs, one of the keepers flew off and they couldn't find it, so they have to overnight one, and I'll get my car back tomorrow. I can't wait to get my car back. Hopefully when I get my car back, it will all have been worth it.
What cam are you getting installed?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've considering that one myself. If you don't mind me asking, what's it running you to get the work done?
I was originally quoted at $650, then they found out that I was doing valve springs too, and they said because I was doing springs too, they would have to take the heads off. So they said that would take another hour or two. Then they call me after I got home from dropping it off, and tell me that is recommended that I change the head gasket when the heads are removed, and they asked me if wanted to do that too, so there goes another $40 bucks. Then they said there will be a little extra cost because the have to replace some fluids that leaked when they were taking every thing apart. I think in the end the installation will cost about $900-1000, I don't know yet. The sidewinder, the springs and the install kit from 402 motoring I spent like $650. So all in all, I'll have spent about $1,500-1,700 to get this all done. And I am hoping to gain at least 30 hp, and maybe some more when I get my car tuned when I get my diablo.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I was originally quoted at $650, then they found out that I was doing valve springs too, and they said because I was doing springs too, they would have to take the heads off. So they said that would take another hour or two. Then they call me after I got home from dropping it off, and tell me that is recommended that I change the head gasket when the heads are removed, and they asked me if wanted to do that too, so there goes another $40 bucks. Then they said there will be a little extra cost because the have to replace some fluids that leaked when they were taking every thing apart. I think in the end the installation will cost about $900-1000, I don't know yet. The sidewinder, the springs and the install kit from 402 motoring I spent like $650. So all in all, I'll have spent about $1,500-1,700 to get this all done. And I am hoping to gain at least 30 hp, and maybe some more when I get my car tuned when I get my diablo.
It's the little things that add up in the end. Still, I don't think that is to bad and the gains will be well worth it. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted on how well it works for you.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's the little things that add up in the end. Still, I don't think that is to bad and the gains will be well worth it. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted on how well it works for you.
I think for the most part, most people say it is about a $900-$1100 installation. BTW, as soon as I get it back, I plan on making some sound clips and posting my review of the cam. As soon as I get my diablo, I am off to the dyno.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Why do you need new valve springs when you do a cam? I though that new springs are needed when your modification make the engine rev higher. Do you plan to shift at a higher rpm after the cam?

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Someone, correct me if i'm wrong...I believe that new (or SRT) springs are used because of the higher lift of the new cam...the stock spring just won't cut it.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Metgo, I would be very nervous about them "loosing a keeper" and not finding it!
Where did it go? In the engine?

Hope the head was far far from the engine when then did that!

Murphy's law is a bugger!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Metgo, I would be very nervous about them "loosing a keeper" and not finding it!

What he said ^ :silenced:

·
Registered
998 Posts
Ouch, i hope they find that floater!

Does this cam retain the MDS abilities or no?

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

It shot off somewhere when the took the pressure off the spring. I asked them if they had a magnet to catch it and they said they did and that one just got away some how. They ordered me a new one, so I think things should be fine.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ouch, i hope they find that floater!

Does this cam retain the MDS abilities or no?
From what I've read, this is the most aggressive cam that retains MDS. That is the main reason I chose this cam.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You got to respect their honesty. A lot of places would have said the parts store sent the wrong gasket or some bull like that. Be polite during the wait, sh!t happens.

·
Vendor
791 Posts
The only part that worries me is that you said they told you they had to top off fluids. When you remove the heads, there's no way to keep the fluids (oil and coolant) from mixing together. We always do a full fluids swap, especially an oil change, when we do cam swaps because you run a huge risk of getting coolant in the oil and this can be catastrophic to the engine.

Joshua, HHP

1 - 17 of 17 Posts