Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I begin to lay out the issue I'm having I'll give you a layout of products for reference.

Headunit
Alpine D300

Mids & Highs
Focal 6 1/2" Components
Focal 6x9"
Alpine Type S 4"

Subs
JL Audio 12W3 (2)

Amps
JL Audio 500/1
Alpine PDX 4.100

The issue.

Basically my mids & hi amp is cutting out when the volume is in it's higher stages. But wait before you say that it's over heating, I can get in my car at 6 am (low temp outside) and if I turn it up too much before I get 1 mile down the road its off, but if I cut the H/U off and right back on it's back playing and as long as I don't cut the volume up it will stay on. I've even felt the amp in the trunk after it's cut off and it's not even hot. I had the volume fairly high on one occasion and paused the iPod before parking and once I cut the car on the next morning it automatically unpauses and when the music started, before I could turn the volume down the amp cut out. What gives? Could it be the way my amps are wired because the 500/1 will still push the subs but there are no words.

Also I was running a Phoenix Gold QX4150 prior to the PDX and I know for a fact that it was overheating because it was ungodly hot in the trunk so I quickly replaced that but since installing the Alpine my subs are even deeper then before IMO but the highs aren't as high. The amp is running at HPF for all channels.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and other info needed just ask and I will reply if it would help in the investigation:grin:

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
did you check the phase on the speaker wire leads in to the front crorr overs? and how about the phase leading out of the cross overs? check that first-next the cross overs on those speaker and the infinity's are know for having problems and cause ohm load of 1 and that will shut down the amp. next did you adjust the gains on the amp the street way-or did you do it the right way with the speaker lead's disconnected and adjust it with a volt meter. the volts out on the amp many to to high or to much for the volt [power] in put for the cross overs. you many have to ditch the cross overs and run caps in the right HZ's range at the speakers and tweeters in their place.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoa...I'm a car audio rookie 1st.

2nd I don't have Infiniti, It's a Focal 165 KF component set. Can you explain what you mean when you say phase?

The gains were adjusted the street way, I basically left them at NOM, factory setting

and lastly thanks for the great info no matter how foreign it is :lol:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
OK-focal and alpine and infinity cross overs are known for having problems and over loading the amp with to low of ohm's -first you should check to see if the speaker wires in the doors are touching any thing metal or if a screw for mounting the speaker has nicked a wire causing it to short to metal-also check the speaker termanal's to makes sure they are not to close to the metal in the doors and slightly touching-and as far as phase that means positive wire to positive the neg to neg-if they are wrong before the cross over you will get a over load and the amp will go in to protect mode at mid to high volumes. if all that seems fine then check your speaker wire lead's from the amp to the cross overs to make sure they didnt get nicked by a screw or a trim panel clip-even if its not cut if you pinch a speaker lead wire by smashing it down between a panel and the panel clip it will cause a uneven load and the amp will shut down to protect itself.-if all that checks out good-then the next thing in line to check is the cross over's them self's

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A+ thanks! Looks like its time for audio surgery, I hate getting those doors off!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hmm, so the 4.100 is going into protect yet you know it works properly at most volumes. Honestly, I think the amp has problems. If it was a major ground issue, it probably wouldn't work at all and you'd have alternator whine to boot.

It's *possible* it could be the passives, however most passives that have protection built in will reduce output to the tweeters only and once the volume is lowered it would increase the level again to the tweeters.

Did you buy the 4.100 from an authorized dealer? If so, I'd try to get it exchanged.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
his ground wire for the amp could also be not to bare metal and grounded tight-or if he has a pinched wire after the cross overs it will still play untill higher volumes-either way he going to have to go threw the whole wiring first-there is a small chance that the heat protection sensor is bad in the amp also and making it shut down before it's even hot yet.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I forgot the term but I think you may have a clipping issue with the mids amp
. I would swap the amp and see what happens. also you cam play a track with tons of bass only and if the subs dont cut out at high volume most likely it will be the mids amp. also one other test could be to disconnect the sub and and still see if it is happening. that way you could tell if it may be a power issue:) hope this helps.

·
Registered
580 Posts
his ground wire for the amp could also be not to bare metal and grounded tight-or if he has a pinched wire after the cross overs it will still play untill higher volumes-either way he going to have to go threw the whole wiring first-there is a small chance that the heat protection sensor is bad in the amp also and making it shut down before it's even hot yet.

Anything is possible, but if he had a pinched wire there is a very good chance he'd have alt whine, too. If would DEFINITELY check and even redo the power wiring going to the amp. Considering the battery is in the back, an 8 awg power wire dedicated to just the 4.100 is more than ample assuming there is at least 4 awg coming off the battery to a distribution block.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Wait; he had a different amp in there that worked before so I doubt the wiring is suspect. Definitely check it, but I'd really plan on swapping the amp out for a new one.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
and if he switched the amps and miswired the speaker leads before the cross overs that could be the problem or again bad ground-or defected amp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stereo Max

I just got my 2012 Charger and I have to say that it's just a fun damn car.. I'm disapointed in the performance of the stereo, I noticed the volume level max is like 38... Is there a way around to make this higher??? I don't get why they limit this , I mean my car, my ears I get it but let me make that determination not them.. I didn't pay a chunk of money not to have some type of control over it..

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts