Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i am just wondering if anybody else has this problems, i have been noticing that when i first start my car,drive it a lil while and come to a stop light i notice that my car seems to shake a bit, noting to violent but it is slightly noticeable. the rpms don't move, just seems like engine is moving some or something is just not right. not sure if this is clear but if anybody has any insight in this please let me know. thanks.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
most hemis are good for this i really dont think you got anything to worry about. but if it gets worse you might want to take it to the stealer ship.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
This seems to be common with the 5.7 cars and some folks have gone to the dealership and had the pcm flashed with good results (after the flash = no more quake). My car has had a quake at idle from Day 1. The quake is not always there. If I had faith in my dealership, I would go get it checked out. The problem is I don't like my dealership and avoid them at all costs. I'm hoping that when I switch to BND QuantumBlue oil at my next change, it might be a little smoother.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help, but does anybody know what is causing this?? i am running QB and AcesIV in my car and still some shaken. not sure if it could be because of my Mopar intake and cat-back exhaust, and people forgot to disconnect my battery to allow the car to restart itself. well next time i go to my local mechanic maybe i can see if they can flash my PCM if that is what could be causing the problem.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
well sometimes, and this is for all cars... after you install a catback or just straight pipes or anything like that like and you may of happened to overtigthen them a bit and thus it can expand and all that like metal does when its hot, then they can tend to shake or rattle a little bit from the vibrations of the exhuast gases exiting them.. also, you maybe may have hit something while driving and just didnt notice it, like some debris or a stick or something and you could have moved a pipe ever so slighty thus creating tension on it and thus would give you a bit of the shakes... this happened on a few of my cars in teh past.. all i did was put it up on the lift and inspect the piping to see if it looked as if had moved a bit or not.... and sure enough sometime the piping did move a little and was causing some rumbles here and there at certain time but not all the time.. its was wierd to say the least.... and if so, try and straighten it back out... the piping itself wont look all mangled up or anything, however it will look as if it is at a slight angle than before... trust me... and im not saying that this is your problem, but its a good place to try and look at first.... does it kinda feel like a slight rumble that can be felt in the steering wheel at all.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
would that cause the whole car to shake? cause when i put my arm on the windowsill i can notice my car shaken and i can notice my arm shaking to its just so wierd, i had this before i had my exhaust put on. i did hear some people getting the predator and once they get the car tuned it goes away , but i am just worried it could be something worse which could be causing damage to my car. any other ideas what it could be. MCB i am not sure if i can feel it in my steering wheel, but i will let you know when i leave work to go home, if i do what could it be then? this does not happen all the time , it goes away the more i drive it.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
pretty sure it has to do with the exhaust piping when its cold... then when it heats up and expands, it will go away.... thats my best opinion without actually looking at your car... and you say this is only at idle right or when you first start the car right? if its hapenings while your acceleratiing and accelrating only, then i would chekxc under the boot of the cv axles... thats another thing that would cause terrible shakes, but only when on the pedal

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
correct this does not happen with i accelerate , only when i am sitting at a stop light ideling, if it is the exhaust then why was it happening with the stock exhaust when i had it on. ok , i will take it back to the shop where i had the exhaust put on , but when i do what shoudl i tell them to look for and fix?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
have them look at your cv axles then for damage, thy will have to inspect under the boot to see whats going on

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If this is the quake that many with the 5.7 experience, then it is feels like the car has a slight misfire. It might be better to be safe than sorry and get it checked out. There is a practically identical thread as this one started around the same time. Many people with stock 5.7 cars experience this.

Edit: Here's the other thread (5.7Daytona, it's yours as well): http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114259

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
The "Hemi shake" ...... standard on every 5.7 or 6.1 equipped vehicle .... try sitting in a cammed car and you'll really feel some "vibrations" .... LOL

It's normal .... some people have had it diminished or eliminated after a few days/weeks of using an oil catch can like the one from Billet Tech.

I noticed it diminished after using a BT catch can for a while ...

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
It's been discussed several times. Chrysler is aware but has not (publicly at least) identified the cause. IMO, it's the engine swallowing a chunk of the oil that has a propensity to pool at the bottom of the intake. People have suggested the quantum oil does not readily vaporize, so is less likely to pool in the intake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts