Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

Being that this topic is a known problem in the dodge community. I would like to get some ideas for the problem I'm facing with my 2007 dodge charger r/t.

Saturday evening my car ran dry out of gas at only 1/4 a tank.. have anyone had this issue and resolved the problem. Any answers would be glad appreciated thanks.
:D

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
This is a known topic? Not that I've heard of. There was an issue with the 06's and the car stalling after fill ups that required the gas tank to be changed by the dealer. But haven't heard of it running flat out.

Sounds like you need your fuel gage changed.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Does your 07 have access to extended EVIC? Hold the compass and music note button for 7 seconds.

If so, there is a page in there that displays the actual fuel in the left and right sides of the fuel tank (measured in pints)

·
Registered
284 Posts
My 2004 Intrepid did that. It would take a while to drop off full then run out at 1/4 tank. Dealer replaced the sending unit and no help. So I opened the tank and bent the float arm. Fixed!
Hope you don't have to resort to that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does your 07 have access to extended EVIC? Hold the compass and music note button for 7 seconds.

If so, there is a page in there that displays the actual fuel in the left and right sides of the fuel tank (measured in pints)
Yes it does indeed show... I had approximately 33 miles left till empty. I'm thinking it might be a fuel pump issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a known topic? Not that I've heard of. There was an issue with the 06's and the car stalling after fill ups that required the gas tank to be changed by the dealer. But haven't heard of it running flat out.

Sounds like you need your fuel gage changed.
My car has stalled plenty of times. I really need to get to the bottom of this. The dealership told me I need to change my fuel pump I took it to my mechanic and he said my fuel pump was fine.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
My car has stalled plenty of times. I really need to get to the bottom of this. The dealership told me I need to change my fuel pump I took it to my mechanic and he said my fuel pump was fine.
Assuming the dealer checked the gauge,It sounds like a fuel pump/level sensor module problem.The fuel level sensor is part of the fuel pump,thats why the dealer said fuel pump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Assuming the dealer checked the gauge,It sounds like a fuel pump/level sensor module problem.The fuel level sensor is part of the fuel pump,thats why the dealer said fuel pump.
I might as well change it, I was just quoted from the dealer its a thousand dollar job. But my mechanic is willing to do it for 300 lol.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Read this on a faulty fuel gauge...

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8197&highlight=fuel+gauge+reading+correctly

To check if it's actually the gauge (vs the calibration) do this...

Cluster Range Diagnostic. (Works on all LX models)

1) Be sure key is set to the 'OFF' position.
2) Press and hold the 'Trip Meter Reset' button.
3) Turn the key to 'ON' position.

The gauges will step through the whole range. If your gauge is acting funny, this is an easy way to see if it's the sender or the gauge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts