Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

This really isn't a charger specific question/problem but, more like something thats really frustrating me and I need reccomendations/a solution.

I bought my charger used and as you know on alot of used car lots they write the details of the car on the front windshield with those weird markers. Well, now everytime it rains or my winshield fogs up I can see ALL the writing because water doesnt stick to where they wrote on my windshield.

I would really like to know how to clean the bloody thing cause I'm sick of looking at it. I've used windex, CLR, Spray nine....and I'm about to go as far as to use brake cleaner!

If anyone has a solution or has seen this before or anything please...any input will help I'm sure.

Thanks,

(I know sry for the long post)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Windshield Cleaner

The strongest alcohol you can get from the pharmacy and newsprint should do it. If that doesn't work...smear some peanut butter on there...Yes the edible kind. Works well on tree sap and doesn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
"Goo Gone" by far is the best product to remove residue of any kind.......it's cheap too....

- Mark

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
"Goo Gone" by far is the best product to remove residue of any kind.......it's cheap too....
x2. Anything you can possibly think of, itll take it out!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I read a post where someone used a clay bar, and said that it worked really well. Might be worth a try, dont know for sure though.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
yea clay will deff take it off.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Bon Ami......get it in the food store.
Bon Ami is great. Goo Gone may stain or damage some of the plastic pieces.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The problem BigBlue is having is not residue left by the paint marker, it is a stain left on the glass. Problem is caused by the chemicals in those markers/paint. The sun's rays and heat changes causes the chemicals to etch inside the glass. Kinda like leaving your decals on your Daytona Chargers for a few years and then removing them. There will be a color difference due to paint fade from the sun's rays.

Goo Gone is a superb product. Will work on almost any surface and cause no harm or discoloration at all if you remove it right away. Problem is, it is for any type of residue that needs to be lifted. His glass does not have any residue on it. So this might be one of the rare times that the product will not work.

Bon Ami is about a buck a can and is old school and great for glass cleaning. But don't get it on your paint and not notice it. Bon Ami is pretty abrasive.

The clay bar I've used on paint work many times and so it might work on glass too! The clay bar removes imperfections. So it might be able to remove the stain the paint marker has caused.

I've had this same problem a few times over the years. I've used multiple chemicals to remove the staining on the windshield depending what I had on hand at the time.

Some things that work well (but you have to then clean your entire windshield with soapy water after for the obvious reasons) are...........

Acetone (straight is the best!) if you don't have any on hand and your wife has nail polish remover........it might do the trick. But the straight stuff right out of the can is the best!

Wax and Grease remover...... auto body supply store quality

it will work, but is the least recommendable........STRAIGHT GASOLINE. I used it in a pinch and then washed the windshield real well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
312 Posts
The first thing I would try is the clay bar as it should remove any sort of imperfections in the windshield (by definition) and compared to everything else that people have suggested, it is the least harmful if you hit your paint or the rubber seal around the windshield. Give that a shot first before you go with the more harsh stuff. Just my $0.02.

Good luck and let us know if you get something that works!

·
Banned
370 Posts
A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser!

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Clean your window really well again. Use the clay bar as mentioned, then apply some rainx to your entire windshield.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts