Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know about this stuff? I had a long day yesterday and washed my Charger. I got some Meguir's "hot rims chrome wheel cleaner" and didn't read the instructions as I figured it was a spray and wipe type deal. Anyway, I wiped with a soft dry cloth and the wheels looked great. That was the last part of washing my car I did. This morning before I went to work my Rims were "cloudy" looking. I was like WTF. I ended up rinsing them off and drying them and they looked like brand new...I mean they couldn't look better.

I am probably being paranoid but on the back of the Meguir's bottle it says "do not leave on to set" -- Obviously, I did it on overnight and after I rinsed my wheels off today they looked great. The bottle doesn't say if leaving on too long can "hurt" or damage the wheels....or if it's just because that stuff will get greasy like it did. Anyone use this stuff before and know if there's any reason I should be concerned about the stuff setting on too long and causing any discoloration or damage?

As I said, the wheels look like mirrors right now but I'm just curious if this stuff could cause damage and why?

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
Yes, you can leave it on too long. :yes::yes::yes:

I am an avid Meguiar's customer and have discontinued using that product on the stock rims since I ended up having to replace my stock rims once already. Its not that it is a bad product, but the clearcoat on the OEM rims is very, I stress very sensitive. That product is very strong. The powder-coat was flaking off my Daytona rims as well as the clearcoat was peeling around the ram head centers. I know it was caused by that product because the wheels were only on my ride for 7 months and the problems began. Other Charger owners have had similar/same experience.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43934&highlight=meguiar's

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51724&highlight=meguiar's

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44565&highlight=meguiar's

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
If your talking about Meguiars Chrome polish (comes in a red flat kinda bottle with a chrome rim on the front), Ive been using this product for 10 years on all custom wheels and have never had a problem with leaving it on there overnight, 8 hours, 2 hours, 10 hours, and wiping it off the next day (takes 3 seconds)

I would never use hot wheels cleaner or any wheel cleaner other then soap n water on aftermarket chrome rims, If anything, get an amonia free glass cleaner, poor half of it out and fill it up water so its half cleaner, half water. That and a microfiber = does wonders, and its easy to keep in a spray bottle in the trunk all the time

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
turbo, thanks for the info, damn, I did NOT expect to see threads like that when I posted this. I expected someone to say i'm paranoid...sheeet...glad I asked.

I think there is some good news in this. 1) Everyone that seemed to have this problem over time got replacements via warranty. Right now my rims look incredible, but I won't use this stuff again just in case. I'll use soap and water only.

But that also is interesting, because someone claimed they ONLY use soap and water on their daytona and the clear coat is peeling, so I wonder if it isn't just some bad wheels Dodge put out. The pics that were posted look like cheesey wheels to be honest. My 20'' wheels look much nicer then that. Not saying something "won't" happen in the future, but I sure as hell won't be using this Meguirs "HOT RIMS CHROME CLEANER" in the future.

Chargeron, thanks for your info. Your post is a little confusing, and the reason why is because you say you would never use "HOT RIMS" cleaner (don't think that means to apply when hot, just is the name of the product as you can use on cold rims) but the product you describe that "DOES" work fine no matter how long you leave it on is the same thing.

It IS in a red bottle, it DOES HAVE a Chrome wheel on the front, it DOES come in a red flat bottle, it DOES say Chrome Wheel Cleaner. I'm certain this is the product you are referring to which you said you ALSO have left on for prolonged periods of time. If you get a chance, please click the 3rd link Turbo posted and check out the thumbnail of the product -- he posted a pic there.

As I said though, there is absolutely no damage to my wheels right now, and I did heavily wipe down the wheels even when I sprayed this on there, so there was only a light haze left this morning. I washed off all 4 wheels and they look so good it's ridiculous. Regardless, I think this was a good post b/c I won't use this stuff again (just in case.)

Just for fun Chargeron, if you get to check that third link and see the product, please let me know if that is what you've used for so many years without ever any issue.

The odd thing is I reallly am surprised that if this Meguiars stuff could cause so much damage...why haven't they been sued? Wheels are very expensive and if a product they charge an arm and a leg for is causing damage to wheels i'm surprised they haven't been sued and discontinued the product.

The one post where someone said they ONLY use soap and water on their Daytona and the same, exact thing is happening really makes me wonder if the cause really is this Meguirs.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Yeah, dude my rims and several other members turned out nasty after using this stuff and leaving it on too long. Stay far away from that and any wheel cleaner besides soap and water for that matter. It was just too much of a pain in the AZZ getting these replaced under warranty.

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
I am not saying that the Meguair's wheel cleaner is a bad product. In fact it is a very good product and does its job of cleaning the wheels hands down. What I am saying is that it is too strong for the wimpy clearcoat that DCX is using on their rims. This would explain why the folks that use soap & water are also having problems.

Since I still have a couple bottles of the stuff, I use it on the tips of my Borla 112's and they are sparkling clean every time. :)

Also, I agree the warranty replacement process for the rims is a pain in the @zz.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Turbo, thanks....I wonder if b/c of all the issues the latest models of the 2007..DCX is constructing much better wheels because as I said, that stuff wasn't only on there for more then 15 seconds, it was on there for over 15 HOURS and not a single blemish -- that won't happen again and I really thought I was being paranoid by posting this -- you should always read the instructions, was dumb on my part but looks like either wheels are much better or I just got lucky because I wiped most of the stuff off as opposed to just spraying and letting sitting on there.

I still hope Chargeron gets a chance to take a look at the 3rd link you posted and state whether that's the "same" product they've let sit overnight -- sure sounds identical. Either way, I won't do that again and love how my wheels look...

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
The reason im saying to never use hot wheels cleaner (pinkish bottle with rims on the front) is because ive seen that product ruin many sets of rims after awhile

Most people that have alot of experience with aftermarket rims will tell you soap and water only, chrome polish every now n then. And what i suggested with the amonia free cleaner / water mix as a quick touchup between

rim cleaning bottled solutions are like eating a burger and fries at a fast food joint when your on the run and hungy, might be quick, but not exactly the "healithest" thing for the situation lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts