Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have been told a tuner is better than a chip, because the chip is worthless. I want to get the predator tuner, but would like to find a used one.. Where could I get one?

Also, can someone please help me understand what the tuner does and how it will help my car? I see people post about 93 octane tune or 93 tune for the CAI.. What exactly does that mean?

Will a tuner benefit my car with a CAI and custom flowmaster exhaust system?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
With the predator u will get 20 more HP and 20 more TQ and better gas mileage. I am running the 91 tune on 93 oct and throttle boost set at 15% and tire size set. I would look on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the predator u will get 20 more HP and 20 more TQ and better gas mileage. I am running the 91 tune on 93 oct and throttle boost set at 15% and tire size set. I would look on eBay

What does the 91 tune, 93 octane and 15% boost all mean?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out what it all means

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The 91 tune is a pre loaded tune in the predator. Like I am running 91 tune with 93 oct gas so I don't get no KNK. What ever tune u run (89 91 93) is the oct u want to run u can run a higher oct then the tune so u dont get the KNK. And the throttle boost tricks it to thank u are giving it more gas then u are

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 91 tune is a pre loaded tune in the predator. Like I am running 91 tune with 93 oct gas so I don't get no KNK. What ever tune u run (89 91 93) is the oct u want to run u can run a higher oct then the tune so u dont get the KNK. And the throttle boost tricks it to thank u are giving it more gas then u are

What's KNK? And what's your mpg like?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
KNK is knock. My mpg what from went from 25 to 28mpg

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
It when the car is to lean

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
As far as whether a "chip" or "tuner" is better, there really aren't any "chips" for these cars. All of the performance tunes are performed by reprogramming the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) with an enhanced tune.

This thread might help to clear things up a bit:
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139290

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts

I doubt you'd get that much HP increase (Tuner + exhaust + CAI) might or might not hit 20.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
There haven't ever been any dyno runs posted that show real HP gains with the predator. It's a tuning device that lets you get the most out of your mods and optimizes the performance they bring.

It's still a great addition to the overall performance of these cars, just don't expect it to make your 1/4 mile times better on a stock vehicle. ;) The predator improves responsiveness...but not HP.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There haven't ever been any dyno runs posted that show real HP gains with the predator. It's a tuning device that lets you get the most out of your mods and optimizes the performance they bring.

It's still a great addition to the overall performance of these cars, just don't expect it to make your 1/4 mile times better on a stock vehicle. ;) The predator improves responsiveness...but not HP.
I really just want to be able to tune my car to have better performance with my CAI and exhaust. Never have had it tuned since I installed both of them.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I really just want to be able to tune my car to have better performance with my CAI and exhaust. Never have had it tuned since I installed both of them.
Then the Predator is what you need. Just don't expect huge gains. It will help you get the most out of them but "the most" won't be huge...maybe a few HP at best. ;)

Exhust+CAI with tune...maybe 10-15 HP.

But the improved responsiveness will make you smile. :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Tuners are great for adjusting things like rear axle calibrations/wheels, speed limiters, and add a little bit more power or to firm up the shifts. I don't know how wound up these new Chargers are, but I know that with my stang, I only got about 7hp at the wheels with the 93 tune... but then again, it was wound up really tight to start with. If they were really conservative with the Chargers, you might be able to get a bit more. Keep in mind, power isn't the big issue... it's about how BROAD that powerband is!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Then the Predator is what you need. Just don't expect huge gains. It will help you get the most out of them but "the most" won't be huge...maybe a few HP at best. ;)

Glad to hear that :rocker:

Know where I could get one used for cheap?

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Glad to hear that :rocker:

Know where I could get one used for cheap?
Keep your eye out on eBay, and our for sale section. Also, check out our vendors if you rather get the newer model tuner that works with multiple cars as opposed to just one type of car. Only thing is you have to unmarry (tune your car back to stock) before using it on another vehicle. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts

Sorry D, but I went from 275rwhp and a CAI and cat-back only to 322rwhp with a custom dyno tune..

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts