Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or you may know it off the top of your head.

I have my car atrt the dealer right now. ESP light is on - they said I need a new dynamic sensor.

They also tolf me I am due for a throttle body cleaning, rear differential service, and transmission service..... also a PCV Valve which I can see.

They said IT IS RECOMMENDED TO GET A THROTTLE BODY CLEANING EVERY 15000 MILES!!!!!! I never heard oft hat before.

I dont have the owners manual here with me, i wante dto kjnow if someone can look up in the manual for me what the recommended service is at 15k and 30k

I found this on edmunds website -http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/maintenance.do?step=step2&year=2006&make=Dodge&model=Charger&style=RT+4dr+Sedan+%285.7L+8cyl+5A%29&mileage=33000&engine=8VNAG5.7&transmission=AUTOMATIC&zip=11714&synpartner=edmunds

I dont know if this edmunds site is the same as the manual or not but I just want to bust the dealers chops about this so bad.......

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
How many mile are on your car? If you're at 15k there is no way you should need any of that. Forget about the thtottle body cleaning, they're trying to screw you on the rear differential and tranny service.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Man what's up with these dealers selling unnecessary services but skipping the important ones.

At 30k according to Schedule B ( the more severe schedule) you need to
Replace the SPARK PLUGS
Replace Air Filter
Change Engine Oil
Check and replace the PCV Valve
Rotate the Tires

·
Registered
226 Posts
I had a dealer try that throttle body cleaning crap on me with my magnum. only had 35k on it.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Thats what edmunds says as well.

I hate these dealerships.....

can i change thes parts myself????
That depends on your skill level but if you're pretty handy with a wrench a spark plug change isn't that hard, just make sure they go in straight and you don't overtorque them. There are 16 plugs to replace. You'll save alot on labor by doing it yourself and you can upgrade to Iridium spark plugs for 60k spark plug changes.

The air filter is easy. I haven't done a PCV valve but I can't imagine it being that hard, I just don't even know where that is. Rotating the tires can be done yourself if you got four jacks or you can just pay a tire place to do that work.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i just spoke with the dealer, he gave me the BS that the owners manual is "generic" and it is different for every car.....

I would assume that since this is what dodge's owners manual says - it is safe to go buy correct?

I hate being bull sh*tted...........

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
If you follow what the owner manual tells you they can't void your warranty Plus that Generic thing was written for LX Chargers, not all Dodge Cars in general.

I may do a transmission fluid change at 30k, but I won't do a flush, just a regular change. But I still think it'll be fine to wait till 60k too.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Part of the reason they specify you getting the throttle body cleaned is because of the intake design of these cars in stock form. (At least the HEMI's.)

The ventilation hose that pipes from the drivers-side of the motor, back into the intake path at the filter box often carries oily air. This suspended oil travels back to the throttle body, and over time I'm sure it builds up and requires some amount of cleaning. On the other hand, if you've installed a "breather filter" where this hose used to be, you can pretty much ignore the need to clean the throttle body until MUCH later since all that oil isn't passing back through your intake path.

By the way, that Dynamic Sensor is the heart of your ESP system, and is also the key to the ESP deletion mods. :) Disabling it forces you into "fun mode"...lol.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
How much did they quote you for the throttle body cleaning btw?

Also how much for the transmission fluid service and the differential service?

·
Registered
15 Posts
They gave me a quote for the Tranny service of 160 just to replace fluid. Not sure how much it is for the differential. I have to go to the dealer on saturday because I found out the the Rear Differential is leaking :(

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
they give me a loaner whenever i go..

im looking to find a nother dealer to go to, but hteyu wont give me a loaner car since i didnt buy from them.... can you request that they pay for a rental car if they are doing warranty work?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts