Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now this thread has the workings of other issues previously discussed, but I do not believe anyone really has touched on the answer. Basically, I am going to do an install of cams and springs for my R/T but want to go long-tube header ideally. Due to budget constraints, I can only go with a shorty header. Is this ok to do? Is there such a dramatic loss in power by going shorty on a cam/spring setup versus the long-tube? I already have the intake, as well as the exhaust installed.

Thanks for your help on this. If I had the money, then I would not even hesitate...

:nervous s

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
what cam and were does the cam start to pull at. if its a upper RPM cam than you will use the shorty headers to keep your bottom end pull for around town and traffic light to light sprints. but if you want to drag race it hard you will need the long tubes to help the cam and add upper end pull. but with that you will loose some bottom end pull that you for sure will notice on the streets and that were gears will fix that but as we all know we dont have a choice on that so your next fix for the lost bottom end is a torque convertor.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
my vote is to leave the short tubes on and get a pcm reflash for the cam from b&g to work with the cam. the reflash for $500 will do more than a $1000 set of headers. and hi flow cats will do more for you than long tubes. you get about the same HP from both long and short headers all that changes is the RPM range that they work in.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
You may pay an extra $500 for longtubes, but if you go with SLP for instance, you get the high flow cats too. So really long tubes aren't much more.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
so if I am reading this right..... LT/s are for the track bound folks...... shorties are for killin ponies on St. Rose Parkway

1 - 6 of 6 Posts