Charger Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dilema. I want to mount my sirius aftermarket receiver in the sunglasses holder but the power adapter does not reach.

It's a cigarette lighter power adapter. Is there a way to cut the wire and splice into a wire up by the two map/dome lights that are next to the sunglass holder?

Detailed instructions would be great if anyone has them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
17,686 Posts
Here's my dilema. I want to mount my sirius aftermarket receiver in the sunglasses holder but the power adapter does not reach.

It's a cigarette lighter power adapter. Is there a way to cut the wire and splice into a wire up by the two map/dome lights that are next to the sunglass holder?

Detailed instructions would be great if anyone has them.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Hang on, I'll find them.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
FIRST YOU NEED TO know THAT MOST SIRUS UNITS RUN ON 6 VOLTS AND IF YOU CUT OFF THE PLUG AND WIRE IT DIRRECT YOU WILL FRY IT. the way to tell is to pry open the plug-most of the time there is a little screw on it and the tip on the end of it will unscrew and it will seperate and if there nothing in it your good for a direct wire BUT if you see a coil and a couple of resistors and a diode yours is runing at 6 volts and has to be either modified or you can pick up a female cig sock from pep boys or a boat store and wire it in that way and there is a hot all the time dome light wire in the over head for the center map light. if i remember right its white. just test it with a test light to be sure-

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FIRST YOU NEED TO know THAT MOST SIRUS UNITS RUN ON 6 VOLTS AND IF YOU CUT OFF THE PLUG AND WIRE IT DIRRECT YOU WILL FRY IT. the way to tell is to pry open the plug-most of the time there is a little screw on it and the tip on the end of it will unscrew and it will seperate and if there nothing in it your good for a direct wire BUT if you see a coil and a couple of resistors and a diode yours is runing at 6 volts and has to be either modified or you can pick up a female cig sock from pep boys or a boat store and wire it in that way and there is a hot all the time dome light wire in the over head for the center map light. if i remember right its white. just test it with a test light to be sure-
Very nice to know.

I just broke open a spare cigarette wire adapter that I had laying around. The only thing it was a small fuse and a spring. The two wires are black and black with a blue? stripe.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
ok its a 12 volt and can be wired dirrect then-YOUR GOOD TO GO AND HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT just wire it dirrect- the wire that going to the center pin of the plug you just cut off is the hot and the wire going to the side ground ears is the ground

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
no-just strip the cover on the wire back a little to show the braided wire and then strip off the end of the sirus wires about a inch and wrap the wire around the exposed wire and then wrap black tape around it then do the next one. you can all use wire taps if you have any laying around at the store they call them scotich locks

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I just went down and ripped the console out. The plug that is for the lights has three wires.

Yellow and white
Yellow and blue

Black and green.

No pink...............................

The other plug is for the sunroof controls and they are all orange with stripes.

Which one do I use?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Electrity in all forms scares me silly. Take it to Best Buy and they'll wire it in for $25, guaranteed! I've had them install a Radar Detector up by the mirror, an overhead Insignia DVD back of the sunroof and power for a dash mounted Garmin StreetPilot C340.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.