Charger Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
can 285's fit an 18x7.5 stock rim?

i just read in a forum that a member has 285 tires on stock 18x7.5 rims. i was told that anything over 255 wouldnt not fit and i have also noticed that forum members with the 18x7.5 dont go higher then 255... if 285 would fit would there be a drop in performance ? would it be safe ? would the tire be bulding out of the rim the analogy i think of in this situation is "fat guy in a little coat" (tommy boy)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
i just read in a forum that a member has 285 tires on stock 18x7.5 rims. i was told that anything over 255 wouldnt not fit and i have also noticed that forum members with the 18x7.5 dont go higher then 255... if 285 would fit would there be a drop in performance ? would it be safe ? would the tire be bulding out of the rim the analogy i think of in this situation is "fat guy in a little coat" (tommy boy)
i am also curious.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
No. 7.5" is approximately 191mm. You're proposing to put tires on the rim that are almost 100mm (about 4 inches) wider than the rims. Even if you could manage to get them on there and they didn't rub, it's going to be unsafe having 2 inches of tire hanging over each side of the rim.

Best,

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
No way Jose'
I just bought a set of 275's, and the minimum wheel width is 9"...Thats the width of my SRT8 wheels.
285's reequire a 9.5 inch wheel...well, according to the tire calculator site

·
Registered
6,083 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
http://tirerack.com Everything I saw 285mm wide should go on a wheel 9½ to 11 inches wide!

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Performance loss? No.. 13.7's rock my socks off..

Unsafe? One hasn't blown off yet. I've had the pressure down to 20 psi in the rears, done some dry hops and ran atleast 50 times down the track without ever losing any pressure.

I was assured by my tire shop these would hold up fine and they have. If you don't feel safe doing so, go with something else. I got exactly what I asked for, the largest tire possible in the rear, with a smaller wheel in the front. I trust my guys 30 years of experience in helping me select these tires.

·
Registered
162 Posts
standard width for a 285 is 10"
Just because some goof wants to force the tire an a skinny rim and is successful does not mean it will be safe.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts

Unsafe? One hasn't blown off yet. I've had the pressure down to 20 psi in the rears, done some dry hops and ran atleast 50 times down the track without ever losing any pressure.

I was assured by my tire shop these would hold up fine and they have. If you don't feel safe doing so, go with something else. I got exactly what I asked for, the largest tire possible in the rear, with a smaller wheel in the front. I trust my guys 30 years of experience in helping me select these tires.
I wish my tire guys would do that for me... but they gave me "static" about putting larger than 255's on. I been dealing with them for 20 years, and didn't want to make any waves with them (they treat me real good for service, free balancing, and flat fixing's at no charge) so I went with the 255's. I guess if I pressed the issue they would have done me bigger (I wanted 275's), but I let go for the 255's. Maybe next time (and soon) I will be a bit more firm and see what happens. Would love to have the "fatties" like that in the rear, and put the 255's in the front. Glad to hear you having no trouble with'em.

I also agree...... name calling is for children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich

·
Registered
6,083 Posts

I have friends that smoke a pack a day and haven't died of lung cancer (yet), but that doesn't make it safe. Suit yourself. What you're doing is not safe so I wouldn't encourage other folks to put 285's on 7.5" rims. You can see the manufacturer recommended specs for yourself on tirerack.com. You need 9-10" rims for 285's to be within spec.

Best,

Best,

·
Registered
546 Posts
people have been putting monster rim and tires on cars and trucks for years now even when told they shouldn't. it is so hard to get a tire off of a rim even it is a balloon tire. look at drag cars.

in 1978 my father bought a brand new pontiac bonneville brougham with a 400ci small block. the largest rim at that time was 15 inches. if you were to tell anyone in the 70's 24 inch and 26 inch rims were going on a car they would laugh uncontrollably.

i like fat rubber. does that make me a chubby rubby?

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
I was highly skeptical myself, but a recommendation is just that... It is not binding.

Regardless, I'm not out here selling tires. If someone asks what the biggest tire will fit on their stock rims, I'll tell them what I have. The tire does just that - It fits the rim. I check the tire pressure at least once a week and I'm constantly changing the pressure every time I'm at the track. I feel they're safe - If you don't, then like I said previously, buy smaller tires.

I drag race my Charger and that's really about it. 95% of the time she's sitting in the garage collecting dust. If this were a daily driver, I sport something a little more practical. People need to judge for themselves what they feel will work best for them, and that's about the only endorsement I can give.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts