Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know this has possibly been discussed. But i really did not find any useful info. I have a 2011 5.7 I already have done the CAI, Cat back Headers to be installed this weekend I hope. Also a stage 1 tune from hemifever with a 180 thermostat. So I know there are options for cams.
1. 392 Manual cam
2 266 Comp cam
3 270 Comp Cam
4 274 Comp Cam.
My biggest concern is driveability at some point you have to do a stall speed TC what would be the biggest cam I could get away with before I had to change out the TC because the cam is just to big. I am going to have to do this swap sooner then later as I believe I am starting to lose a lifter. Getting a minor tick to the engine and I am sure it will only get worse.

Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had the 270 in my 13’ challenger for about a year before I put a converter in. Ran fine. It’s all in the tune and yes, much of the time it takes several revisions to get it just right.

The 270 is a great mid to upper powerband cam while the 274 from what I have seen and heard, is more upper oriented. If you are racing you would definitely want a converter for that cam (in my opinion).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the 270 in my 13’ challenger for about a year before I put a converter in. Ran fine. It’s all in the tune and yes, much of the time it takes several revisions to get it just right.

The 270 is a great mid to upper powerband cam while the 274 from what I have seen and heard, is more upper oriented. If you are racing you would definitely want a converter for that cam (in my opinion).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. I am mainly going to be street driving it. But I may go to the strip every once and a while. I am only on the second revision on my tune right now. Holding off until I can get my headers installed before I start logging data to get the tune right for now. I like the sound of the 270 also. So that will probably be the cam I end up with.
Thanks again

·
Registered
701 Posts
270 is about where you'll be before it is an absolute pig off the line and daily driving. The 274 is fairly aggressive, tuning will take some time, and you'll need a T/C to get good use out of it (unless you're doing some highway roll racing stuff). I went with an MMX 5.7 cam, which is closer to the 270. It's almost between the 266 and the 270.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I had the MMX cam and after I installed longtubes I was at around 410 hp at the wheels. Before the longtubes I was at around 385 hp. Did not lose any torque or hp below 3500 rpms. (Kind of like the 392 manual cam) Gains were above 3500 rpms. If you go with the 270 and just get an OK tune you will lose HP down low. Like said it is all in the tuning. Longtubes are a must IMO with any Cam and the 5.7L>

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the MMX cam and after I installed longtubes I was at around 410 hp at the wheels. Before the longtubes I was at around 385 hp. Did not lose any torque or hp below 3500 rpms. (Kind of like the 392 manual cam) Gains were above 3500 rpms. If you go with the 270 and just get an OK tune you will lose HP down low. Like said it is all in the tuning. Longtubes are a must IMO with any Cam and the 5.7L>
I don't have long tubes but I am running shorty headers and I have Hemifever doing the tuning. Also have the flowmaster catback just need to get either mid pipes with highflow cats or 86 the cats.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh BTW I ended up with the 392 manual cam. Just waiting on the rest of the parts to show up. ending up doing the valve springs so if I don't like the 392 cam I can go bigger.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
With the 392 manual cam and shorties you can expect around 385 hp to the wheels with Sean's tune. Respectful for a 5.7L. Gains will be above 3500 rpms. It will pull hard at 4500 and above

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sound good to me. Still thinking about going to long tubes when I do the cam swap. I put this here I am changing out the valve springs to PSI 1511ML and the note inside says to put a shim under every spring. But I have seen that on 5.7 you don't need shims. So what is the truth. Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I had to put shims on my MMX cam, not sure what the 392 cam needs. Lots of info about the 392 cam on the Challenger Talk forum. If removing the heads it is a good time to put on Longtubes if the finances are available. You are changing out the MDS lifters??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I have the entire kit with all new lifters, timing chain, crank bolt cam bolt, Spring kit. Yeah I installed the shorties from the bottom and that was a total nightmare. I have already gone way over my budget and another 700 for headers and mid pipes are really not in the budget. As much as I would love to put long tubes in. Unless I take a chance and buy the super cheap pro labs tuning headers but they scare me.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
When I reviewed the Challenger Talk forum to see what to go with when putting on the MMX, a lot of folks were just installing shorties with the 392 cam. That is what I initially started with. I.MO it will not make that much more hp with longtubes and the 392 cam. If you ever go with a larger cam (MMX or 270 comp) then longtubes are highly recommended

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I had a change of my mind and my friend changed it for me so I ended up going to comp cams 270. With bbk 6.1 long tubes and 3 inch high flow cats.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts