Charger Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While getting an alignment on my car, I was told that my camber was off and I would need to replace the upper control arm with an adjustable one, and it would be $425 installed. They also informed me that I should do both the left and right ones to fix this properly, which would come to $850.

Year and half ago I hit a street light that was down across the highway :mad: . No immediate problems, but I've had residual problems ever since. This appears to be one of them. I don't know anything about alignments, but I've looked around and found 'camber kits' such as this:

http://www.carpartswholesale.com/v5...r_Rear-comma-_Upper&sc=Product+Listing+Page:1

Is it possible that I can use this as a cheaper solution instead of replacing the upper control arm with such an expensive adjustable replacement? Are these camber kits and/or upper control arms hard to install? Is the camber mis-alignment a sign of deeper problems?

Attached is the numbers from the alignment, and the estimate for the upper control arm installed. It's a 2008 SXT Charger. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
I find it odd they list two seperate min/max camber specs for front left and front right. I would assume that they would be the same specs for both sides.

Also, looking at the specs they provided, you right front wheel is within range, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Sounds like you may have damaged the left front control arm when you hit that light pole. I would probably just replace it with a non-adjustable control arm and you should be fine (assuming that any other suspension parts are in good working condition).

Of course it never hurts to get a second opinion, so you can always take it to another alignment shop and see what they think as well.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Sounds like you may have damaged the left front control arm when you hit that light pole. I would probably just replace it with a non-adjustable control arm and you should be fine (assuming that any other suspension parts are in good working condition).
x2. If none of the mounting points got bent for the suspension then just replacing the control arm should get everything back to the OEM location. The knuckle could have been tweaked in the accident which would cause the same off-camber condition. It's best to find the out of spec components rather than buying an adjustable part to counteract other problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'm going to try to take it to another shop and see if I can get a second opinion on the alignment.

I did my brakes and rotors today, and I took a look at the upper control arm while I was at it, and a quick look at everything else in that area. I didn't see anything visually 'bent' or 'cracked' or anything. Would a minor misalignment like this be noticeable by a visual inspection?

@Ramrod, thanks for the links to the adjustable parts. Any experience with SPC? Are they a good brand? I might go this route if I can not identify the problem after a second opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.