Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G' Morning all! I've done most of the "no pain" do it yourself upgrades including CAI, Kooks LT Headers & Cats, Corsa cat back and SC Flash. I'm also on the GB for the Predator. It just isn't fast enough yet!

So, I'm getting ready to venture inside of this bad boy HEMI. Time to upgrade the cam. I've done some searching and find reference to "sidewinders" and a few others, but can't find any threads discussing what's available, what to expect in performance gains, and what one has to change in addition to the cam to make it work (I.e. valve springs, special program/controller considerations, etc.)

I've been contemplating the $7K head and cam package offered by one of the vendors here, but the drive to get it installed or to fix any downstream issues is keeping me at bay. I'm in Nashville, TN.

Any advice from those who have taken this jump would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
542 Posts
$7K for heads and cam? U better be getting a free stroker with that...

Heads and cam I can't imagine going for more than full price that is, $5K installed.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
that 7K heads and cams ALSO come with a tc, I think a flash, all the hardware, the install work, and puts out about 500 crank horse on the 5.7, and has been dyno'd in warm humid air at over 402 RWHP! Thats is almost a 50% increase from stock numbers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that 7K heads and cams ALSO come with a tc, I think a flash, all the hardware, the install work, and puts out about 500 crank horse on the 5.7, and has been dyno'd in warm humid air at over 402 RWHP! Thats is almost a 50% increase from stock numbers.
That's exactly what I had in mind, well worth the investment in my book. I'd be scheduling a visit if the shop was closer.

Still like to know some thoughts on a cam that I can install that will compliment what I already have as a first step before I go for the ultimate package.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Well, you could fri the cam, or sidewinder. Lots of options, but unless you are doing the work it wont be dirt cheap. If you are gonna do the stage 3 kit, I would just not do anything and save the money until its ready to go.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I actually dropped my car off at the shop yesterday to get my sidewinder installed. I am doing a cam only swap along with SRT valve springs. I plan on making some sound clips when I get my car back if any of you are interested. Also, as soon as I get my diablo, I plan on getting my car dyno tuned, and then I will be able to tell you what the gains are.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel really dumb asking, but what exactly is the "sidewinder" cam? Mfr, part number, specs, where to buy, etc.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also believe that the sidewinder is the most aggressive mds friendly cam, that designed to work with with stock heads and and tune.

http://402motoring.com/product.php?... SRT8 Hemi LX&itemnumber=Z62vtyIwP7tdCui3Xe02
Thanks Metgo - found the Sidewinder at 402 racing. But $1750 (parts and labor) to install the cam and springs!! Whew!

Anyone done the cam swap at home? More specifically can the springs be changed via cylinder pressurization with some type of spring tool? I've done lots of old-school V8 cam and spring swaps but have never been into a new 5.7.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I actually dropped my car off at the shop yesterday to get my sidewinder installed. I am doing a cam only swap along with SRT valve springs. I plan on making some sound clips when I get my car back if any of you are interested. Also, as soon as I get my diablo, I plan on getting my car dyno tuned, and then I will be able to tell you what the gains are.
Can I ask what the price was for the labor?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if your doin the cam just wait and do heads at the same time, they gotta come off anyway.
Really? I thought this would require pulling the intake and valley pan (if there is such a thing on the 5.7) to gain access to the lifters. Pull the valve covers to allow the rockers to be loosened, pull the push rods and move the lifters out of the way and out comes the cam (of course after removing the front accessories, timing cover, chain and gears, oil pump and anything else that may be in the way).

Why do the heads need to come off? I've done plenty of spring swaps without pulling heads as long as you have the right tools. Am I missing something? :eek:

If the heads have to come off, then I'm definitely heading for HHP for a week of vacation while they install the package. :yes:

Unless there is a vendor with credentials in the Nashville, TN area??

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Talk to Josh at HHP. They have a few shops that are authorized installers for them. I know they have one in Southern Cal, and one I think in Florida, maybe a few more.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Can I ask what the price was for the labor?
They originally quoted me at $650, but they called me and told me it might end of being a little more, which is fine with me because most people spend at least $1000 to get it done.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I did the cam swap in my garage. Took about 6 hours. The valve spring is another story. I have to pull the heads to get them done. Here is why:

The metal sleve does not come off. There is one valve spring tool out there that suposetly works on this springs without removing the heads, but the exhaust springs on the passager side will be a pain.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The picture above is a comparison between the stock and SRT8 springs.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i have the sidewinder cam and head from frank racing...i got mine done by my buddy who is a tech at my 5 star dealer ......and im in memphis tn so give me shout if i can help you...i can get you hooked up over the weekend...so let me know

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i have the sidewinder cam and head from frank racing...i got mine done by my buddy who is a tech at my 5 star dealer ......and im in memphis tn so give me shout if i can help you...i can get you hooked up over the weekend...so let me know
Very cool - Thx Mexi. Right now it provides daily transportation to and from work, so lest I leave the wife without wheels (the kind of mistake that one makes just before the lawyers get involved), the weekend install would be good. Just curious what other mods you have with the cam and whether you feel (in the seat of your pants) that the cam install without head mods is a worthwhile venture. Did you have any problems with the tail-pipe sniffers here in TN after the install? Thx again!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mexi - I saw your sig after I posted so I know what mods you have. Still wondering 'bout the sniffers and what you thought about the performance gains.

·
Registered
366 Posts
well tailpipe sniffers should be fine. just make sure you have cats....as far as gains...i was 14.1 14.2 with 22's now im 13.4 13.5 with 22's and this was over a month ago in the heat ..... with the stock wheels and good air i should be getting close to the 12's ...hopfully...

ill pm you my number you can call me if you have any more ????

1 - 20 of 31 Posts