Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have had their cam installed how much did you pay for it??
Looking into doing a possible cam swap for the BEE! :D

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
your probably looking at a little over a grand ;/

on HPP's website, their cam package which includes all springs/lifters whatever. (on a cam that by its self costs 500 bucks) along with all new oil and anything that may need to be added or whatever during the swap.

runs you about 1700 bucks total. for them to do it at their location. i understand that is a pretty typical rate. however im not speaking from experience, just trying to give some input ;) best of luck!

·
Registered
8,719 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
My dealer wanted $1200 for the cam/spring swap, which is in the ballpark of what I hear. If you're willing to drive up to Michigan, the guy who did my cam / spring install did it for MUCH less than that. He's 04hemipwr on the lxforums. He did a fantastic job and has done head / cam work on about 14 Hemi's so far.

Good luck man!

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
I just got mine done a week or 2 ago. I got the valve springs and a sidewinder cam installed for $1,000 and that includes the 2 new head gaskets they had to buy me. If you are doing a cam only swap with no valve springs they can do even cheaper.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
if your on a 5.7L. do the springs. period. get the 6.1 springs. theyre sposed to be better than the.. is the the "comp" springs i cant remember

·
Registered
829 Posts
I just got mine done a week or 2 ago. I got the valve springs and a sidewinder cam installed for $1,000 and that includes the 2 new head gaskets they had to buy me. If you are doing a cam only swap with no valve springs they can do even cheaper.
I'm CERTAIN 04hemipwr on the lxforums would beat that price quite a bit even though $1K is a great deal. That is, if you're in the MI/OH area...

·
Registered
829 Posts
if your on a 5.7L. do the springs. period. get the 6.1 springs. theyre sposed to be better than the.. is the the "comp" springs i cant remember
MOST definitely. This has been track proven that higher performance cams will need stiffer springs. Use 6.1L exhaust springs all around. I think a whole set of 6.1 springs is around $110 or something... You'll also need 6.1 rods or equivalent. Using the stock 5.7 springs will make her tick like a motha. Again the rods aren't that expensive.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
If you were in NY id say get ahold of Erik/hemi31 from BFNY Performance. He has the best install rates goin.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Off topic, but do mild cams like the sidewinder set off CEL's and also would the dealer be able to tell you have an aftermarket cam?

·
Registered
167 Posts
yes 1000 bucks is a big time rip off i cannot belive people charge that much for a cam swap!

but if you put the sidewinder in you can not even tell there is a cam in it so if you are underwarrenty and the motor blows the only way i bet the could tell is if they look at the cam because on the end it says franks racing sidewinder.
i tried to take my truck in for warrenty and he laughed at me because the cam i have sounds like a cam its lopes like crazy. the franks cam do not lope at all.

·
Registered
829 Posts
yes 1000 bucks is a big time rip off i cannot belive people charge that much for a cam swap!

but if you put the sidewinder in you can not even tell there is a cam in it so if you are underwarrenty and the motor blows the only way i bet the could tell is if they look at the cam because on the end it says franks racing sidewinder.
i tried to take my truck in for warrenty and he laughed at me because the cam i have sounds like a cam its lopes like crazy. the franks cam do not lope at all.
Hey Bud - good to see you over here!

I gotta chime in here guys. IMHO, if you're tearing into your engine to do head / cam swaps and then expect your dealer to honor all engine-related warranties, you're stealing. If you have a warranty issue unrelated to the engine, by all means exercise your warranty rights. However, you cannot expect DCX to warranty and engine that's been significantly altered. Once you get this point, you have to realize that you pay to play and shouldn't expect your car manufacturer to foot the bill based on your custom work. Be fair guys.

With that said, these swaps have not shown any ill effects, especially if you're looking at mild to moderate cam/heads, so your risk is low.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
If you blow your engine because of the cam or heads, what you do is put the stock ones back on, and take it to the deal and say "I don't know what happened, I was just drving down the road and Boomb!"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts