Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for creating a new thread, but I couldn't find the thread that had the procedure for calibrating the throttle. I tried this procedure and didn't notice any difference...but it got me to thinking, what would happen if you did the procedure and didn't press the throttle all the way down. It seems to me that it might make the throttle a bit more sensitive because it is compressing the throttle travel into a shorter range. Does that make sense to anyone? Not sure how pleasant it would be to drive the car like that, but if it did do this, I suspect that it might accelerate a little faster because the time to get from 0 to 100% throttle position would have to be shorter since the travel of the pedal would be less than going all the way to the floor. Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
i think that the ammount of time betweem slammer your foot to the ground.. and the 3 inches before your foot hits is so far past negligible that theres no way you could ever tell the difference between where 100% is calibrated to.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think that the ammount of time betweem slammer your foot to the ground.. and the 3 inches before your foot hits is so far past negligible that theres no way you could ever tell the difference between where 100% is calibrated to.
I'm not surprised by your response...but nonetheless, since I don't understand exactly how the fly by wire works, I thought I'd put the question out there to see what the consensus was. Do you believe the throttle calibration procedure is legit?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
if you have evic you can check it.

hold down compass and music note for 10 seconds then go to the screen that shows "pdl pos .... XX%" u should be able to see ur exact peddle position. its kinda fun to put it on cruise control and watch how it goes from 50 % uphill to 0 downhill, or drafting somebody, or somethin

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont think that would work. HAL is smarter than that, i think.
Yes, HAL appears to be quite intelligent! Almost too intelligent. I just wish he knew when I wanted 100% performance (and gave it to me), and when I wanted to get economical performance!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
yea hal should be more like a tuner. if u get evic u should have the option to do ur own tune. that'd be awesome. i dont think dodge would ever release something like that though. i wish i could just put it in an "mds mode" sometimes on the high way. i dont even kno when its on or not.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
there needs to be a way to kill the Hal mother effer. i mean seriously. how come hes so damn invincible. i mean seriously. seems like nothing short of a giant trash compactor could really do that bastardo in.

i want to drive my car. not have Hal drive me

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I'm not surprised by your response...but nonetheless, since I don't understand exactly how the fly by wire works, I thought I'd put the question out there to see what the consensus was. Do you believe the throttle calibration procedure is legit?
There is a potentiometer that is attached to the gas pedal. It changes voltage in proportion to the movement from your foot. This signal is then sent to an actuator that controls the throttle body.

As for calibration, these is nothing the end user (you) can do. If a re-calibration is necessary (as in changing out your PCM), a Starscan tool is required. Basically it looks at closed and wide open gas pedal position in relation to the voltage output and makes sure the throttle body can actuate to those positions. That's it, it doesn't care what the voltage is in-between as long as it meets closed and WOT position requirements.

Now if you really wanted to increase throttle body actuator velocity, the gain output from the potentiometer would need to be increased. I would suspect that it would be hard to hold a steady speed if someone could change it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there needs to be a way to kill the Hal mother effer. i mean seriously. how come hes so damn invincible. i mean seriously. seems like nothing short of a giant trash compactor could really do that bastardo in.

i want to drive my car. not have Hal drive me
I agree...at the very least, there should be an option to shut him down and put the car in 1969 "muscle mode". I'm ok with HAL being there if I want him...cause quite frankly, don't want my son or significant other having that much fun in my girl...LOL.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I agree...at the very least, there should be an option to shut him down and put the car in 1969 "muscle mode". I'm ok with HAL being there if I want him...cause quite frankly, don't want my son or significant other having that much fun in my girl...LOL.
It's not HAL causing the problem, but rather the Electroninc Stability Program. HAL just takes in data from numerous sensors and gives an output back.

Turn off ESP/BAS completely, you'll have your 1969 muscle. These cars are so easy to lose control with it disabled. I've scared myself several times. hehehe. Get the NoESP mod or if lucky enough, do the key trick. Once disabled, punch it around a corner and hang on. :)

As for the adaptive learning traits, that program does suck. If we could turn that off, that would be fantastic.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
As for the adaptive learning traits, that program does suck. If we could turn that off, that would be fantastic.
thats more of what i meant. in fact exactly what i meant i guess. when your car is constantly changing the way it acts... how is it the same car? i mean.. you can never adjust to it.... and when you think you have... reset the comp with fuse 11 and BOOM its like a new fkn car

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
thats more of what i meant. in fact exactly what i meant i guess. when your car is constantly changing the way it acts... how is it the same car? i mean.. you can never adjust to it.... and when you think you have... reset the comp with fuse 11 and BOOM its like a new fkn car

lol, yeah, but only for a few hundered or so miles then it's right back to grandma mode. Too bad they didn't just include a button that would allow you to select your driving habits, "sprited" and the boring "normal" city.

Kinda like a "tone" selection you see on some radios.

·
Registered
151 Posts
lol, yeah, but only for a few hundered or so miles then it's right back to grandma mode. Too bad they didn't just include a button that would allow you to select your driving habits, "sprited" and the boring "normal" city.

Kinda like a "tone" selection you see on some radios.
I agree ,but also would be happy without having to think I have to drive it like I stole it just for my Daytona to perform the way it should after say a trip with my parents with me and then I want to show my dad how a hemi still feels.
Randy

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's not HAL causing the problem, but rather the Electroninc Stability Program. HAL just takes in data from numerous sensors and gives an output back.

Turn off ESP/BAS completely, you'll have your 1969 muscle. These cars are so easy to lose control with it disabled. I've scared myself several times. hehehe. Get the NoESP mod or if lucky enough, do the key trick. Once disabled, punch it around a corner and hang on. :)

I know what you mean...we had a little rain today and with ESP off, it was way too easy to get sideways...now I can see why they put that on the car...a novice driver could very easily hurt him or herself and others without the protection ESP and BAS offer.

But, the adaptive learning, that is another story...it really sucks! I really do wish there was a way to have the performance you want when you want it, and not have to "learn" it each time. Like someone else said...a switch for "spirited" driving, and for "economical" driving. BTW, somebody else said the fuse pulling trick resets everything, but the one time I tried it, it didn't seem to make any difference. In fact, my 0-60 time actually worsened. What I found, so far, is that driving in Autostick mode and romping on it a few times seems to wake her up...so far that is the only thing I have noticed that produces results, but they aren't instant...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts