Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... I may be asking for it here, but don't be too harsh.

I traded a 2005 300 3.5 v6 for the 5.7 R/T. Now here's the thing... I had a CAI in the 300 and worked really well. Changed the sound of the exhaust and had a performance increase in the mid-range. But is the CAI really worth the bucks. I installed the Fram Airhog in the Charger last Friday night. Same results as CAI??? I think so. This install too changed the sound of the exhaust, and I can tell a slight diff in the low-to-mid-range. Isn't it really the same thing. The box that Chrysler has IS a cold air box (its sealed and under slight pressure at high speeds when the air is forced into the tube under the car right into the box). The differance would be only the smooooth piping. Figured this time around would try it with just the Air Hog. So far so good. Or is it that I don't know what I'm missing. 40.00-50.00 or 159.00 to almost 400.00 for less than 5% performance upgrade. Am I even in the ball park? Or is the scientist in me thinking too hard.

Thanks for any input in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
nCHARGE said:

I traded a 2005 300 3.5 v6 for the 5.7 R/T. Now here's the thing... I had a CAI in the 300 and worked really well. Changed the sound of the exhaust and had a performance increase in the mid-range. But is the CAI really worth the bucks. I installed the Fram Airhog in the Charger last Friday night. Same results as CAI??? I think so. This install too changed the sound of the exhaust, and I can tell a slight diff in the low-to-mid-range. Isn't it really the same thing. The box that Chrysler has IS a cold air box (its sealed and under slight pressure at high speeds when the air is forced into the tube under the car right into the box). The differance would be only the smooooth piping. Figured this time around would try it with just the Air Hog. So far so good. Or is it that I don't know what I'm missing. 40.00-50.00 or 159.00 to almost 400.00 for less than 5% performance upgrade. Am I even in the ball park? Or is the scientist in me thinking too hard.

um on a v8 its nice to have u can even make ur own intake with aluminum piping if u really wanted to... best bang for ur buck is just take the cat out and get striaght downpipe for the track and be 12's all day big time help for any car to take the cats out

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'd Say Your Gonna Get A Pants 15hp...lol.. I Say Just For The Rumble It's Worth The Bucks... If It Sounds Faster, Then It's Gotta Be Faster... That's My Motto And I'm Sticking To It...hell I Think By Doing The Hood Struts, She Feels At Least 5hp In The Pants Faster...lol...i Would Get It...

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
1BADHEMI said:
I'd Say Your Gonna Get A Pants 15hp...lol.. I Say Just For The Rumble It's Worth The Bucks... If It Sounds Faster, Then It's Gotta Be Faster... That's My Motto And I'm Sticking To It...hell I Think By Doing The Hood Struts, She Feels At Least 5hp In The Pants Faster...lol...i Would Get It...

5hp....i am expecting 7 or 8hp from those hood struts.....and yeah the mopar cai is worth every penny.......i had also used just the performance air filter and it is nothing compared to the mopar cai........and man not only does it sound bad - it looks incredible.......sprouces up the ol engine nicely!

·
Registered
185 Posts
MY 2 C's
In traffic the engine needs to bring the air into the engine (suck) and overcome the resistance of the air to move through the plumbing and the filter. The smoother the plumbing , the shorter the plumbing and the less resistance at the filter the better. All these items usually make more noise, some can be sweet. Horsepower gain ?, probably one horsepower, someone will probably chime in with dyno numbers. Now with a large scoop, cowl induction etc. where you force air into the engine there is some more benefit, probably one or two HP. Any heat (from under the hood) negates most of these gains. Superchargers and turbos are pulling air in and then compressing it as it enters the engine, any relief to the flow here is benificial, again added heat is a negative.
Exhaust systems require back pressure. Stock non-performance cars and trucks can have 10-12 pounds of back pressure. Performance cars like our Chargers have a little less. The less resticted an exhaust system is the more HP can be gained. The rule of thumb in a non-performance car has been 1 HP gained for every 1 pound of back pressure relieved, High performance cars maybe 1.5 HP per pound. Unless you remove the Exhaust completely you never remove all the back pressure. Keep in mind that some back pressure is required for the engine to operate correctly. Again less restriction = more noise. Now if you'd like both less noise and more HP let's talk H or X pipes. Is that more that 2cents?

·
Registered
290 Posts
That's Gonna Be About 3 Cents But Well Worth Every Penny... I Don't Care If The Car Went In Negative Horsepower...lol.. The Sound Alone Is All That Makes Me Happy.. I Have Custom Exhaust With An X-pipe And I Definitely Feel A Hp Gain.. Now Wether It's 5,10,or 20hp I Don't Care As Long As When I Drive It Down The Road People Look And Say What A Bad A$$ Car And Damn That Sounds Like A Grizzly ... That's Worth Every Red Cent I Spent And Then Some... But I Will Dyno Soon And Post The Results.. To Each His Own....

·
Registered
185 Posts
1BADHEMI.
I'm a stealth peformance kinda guy, I to like a healthy exhaust tone but interior drone wears thin after a while. I also don't like attracting attention, ricers, or a$$clowns to myself. Just knowing that there is enough HP under the hood to put me where or not where I want to be rings my chime. What works for you is what life is all about. If when you turn the key tomorrow that hemi cracks into a growl, smile, it's gonna be a great day !!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Exhaust systems require back pressure. Why would anything require back pressure? i don't unerstand that part. how does it help? :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Sorry to dig this thread back up but I'm still missing something (or maybe 2 somethings).

1 - if you install just the filter, do you get similar results as putting in the full CAI? Sounds like a lot less money for just the filter. Sure you might not get the full benefit, but if you get 75%, that's a whole lot for a whole lot less.
2 - which installs give you the dreaded drone: doing just the filter, doing the CAI, or do both do it?

Sounds like we've got several CAIs to pick from and several people making filters and CAIs (would probably go with K&N for just the filter or Mopar for CAI).

·
Registered
134 Posts
mnunes-
1-You will get the most benefit from a CAI when combined with other mods. If you did exhaust OR chip OR CAI you will get less gains than if you do ALL of them. So keep that in mind.
2-CAI's don't give you a drone in your cabin-loud exhaust systems do. The noise from a CAI will be louder when compared to simply adding a filter. When you get a CAI you will hear a bit of a rush of air when you stomp the gas and your Hemi takes a deep breath...in addition you may have a bit more engine noise. Factory intake systems are designed to reduce noise as much as possible.

A CAI *normally* gives a slightly louder exhaust note-or rather changes the exhaust note some. Again, this is most noticable with an aftermarket exhaust kit installed.

Bottom line, if you want great performance and great sound, go with a CAI...

later,
Nick

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
nCHARGE said:

You made one big step in the right direction and traded the 300 6cyl for a real motor vehicle. I have got CAI, Cat back, Stage 2, GSM ESP. If I could only do one of these it would be the CAI. I agree with GODADDY - love the Mopar CAI.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts