Charger Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that all CAI's over state themselves in there advertising. Thats a given. My question is why isnt the Airaid CAI the most popular CAI for the SRT8 crowd? It is the only one I have seen that actually uses the ram air hood. After all isnt it about getting the most COLD air into the engine. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
64 Posts
these are some observations from a noob also, so go easy on me..I can only go by some graphs I saw and customer reviews...they are all right up next to each other in performance it seems....close. some edgeing others out just by the barest of margins...So I took in all the other factors ,big and shiny,sounds scary,got a numbered unit that is all mine, more money than sense this month...alll that put together and I orderd the Stainless Airhammer.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I don't know if the ducting towards the ram air hood would flow enough air to fully take advantage of the hood. From the pictures I have seen, the piping towards the hood looks fairly narrow, especially compared to the piping from the air filter to the engine. If that's the case, then the majority of the air is coming from someplace else (hot engine bay air) to fill the void. Perhaps I'm missing something too?

·
Registered
230 Posts
my CAI gets the air out of the space behind the bumper on the drivers side just behind the foglight. The filter actually sits right behind the fog. But, Mine is the 3.5L v6 and I did get my CAI for $95.

·
Registered
731 Posts
You have 2 things to deal with when using the AirRaid system and it is a nice system, as I've had one prior to my AFE 2.

You need to get enough air into that scoop. You need to get the air from that scoop to the filter. Now, looking at the design after owning it for the year, I just couldn't see how it was doing a lot for it at all. The air is pushed to only one side of the filter. At that....where the air hits, is wide open so it could be pushed back away and interfere with the other air coming in from below the filter.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the design but I got a much better SOTP feelingfrom my AFE stage 2.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see your point. I guess its hard to tell from the pics how narrow the tube is for the intake from the ram air hood. Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
If your planning on putting on a sway bar, the AFE 2 wont work. The ram air is in the way. As stated be vagabond, the amount of additional air forced into the intake from the additional ram intake might not really have any measurable impact, but it does look cool. I went with the MOPAR CAI just to stick with MOPAR, and I like the look and ease of servicing the filter. :grin:

·
Registered
230 Posts
It seems like the ram air piece wouldn't help that much at all. You're basically re-directing the scoop "air" into the CAI and around corners, then out towards the engine, which is going to take longer (however small this time may be) to get to the engine.

Now here's a technical question that I don't know anything about. How often do you have to change the filter in these aftermarket CAIs that I'm going to put into my SRT8?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts