Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: Disclaimer: This is intended as experimentation, and is not intended as a true replacement of a proper cold air intake solution as only 2 exist for our motors that I'm aware of. :) (stock air box and Volant's box) It IS intended however to moderately improve intake breathability over the stock setup. The term "Cold Air Intake" (as pointed out in the replies herein) does not directly apply here (yet), and a more suitable term for this mod would be "Open Air Intake" as the filter is completely unboxed and out in the open. With that being said...let the mod begin! :D

Ok guys, this is for those of you looking for a CAI solution without wanting to spend more than about $70!

I figured I'd experiment with this to see how well it worked for me on the Charger, as it worked beautifully on my Chevy Lumina.

What I have done is as follows (incl. pics). Firstly, I bought a K&N Filter, model E-1796. This is the same one I used on my Lumina, but it didn't fit as well on that car. This one is perfect. If anyone plans to use this, ONLY buy this model of K&N filter as the rest of them won't mount up properly due to the size requirement for the flange diameter. I'll post one pic, and then 8 links to other pics of the install and fabrication. This install has thrown NO DTC codes like some people have had happen with the installs of thier CAI's. The install also doesn't require the battery disconnect. Another bennefit is this allows for the easiest conversion back to stock setup over a normal CAI setup. The only downside with this setup is a bit more of the warm air in the engine compartment reaches the filter, but this is anything but detrimental.

This is an overview of the completed install

This is a close-up of the completed install, incl support bracket and coupling

This is a close-up view from the side of the completed install. This also shows how the filter sits upon the support bracket.

This closely shows the coupling of the filter to the stock intake. An important not here: The ID (inner diameter) of the K&N flange is 3.75", however, this can be stretched (and needs to be) with whatever coupler you find to use, to 4". This is a must to achieve a proper seal with the stock tube as the stock tube's ID is ~4-3/8"!!!

This is a closeup of the filter removed, showing the aluminum coupler I used for the install. I found it at a local surplus store, you might have to search for one in various places. Important note here: BE SURE YOU USE A METAL COUPLER! PVC will warp from the engine heat generated in the engine bay!!! (Yes I tried this first to see how it would work.) This piece needs to be as close to, or exactly, 4 inches in diameter!

This is an overview of the support bracket I fabricated, with the filter removed.

This is an overview from the side of the support bracket.Notice there is more than enough clearance between the side of the filter and the front of the engine bay.

This is a closeup of the mounting bracket I constructed. I utilized the slot that the Mopar CAI normally slides into, on the front of the engine coolant return tank. Make sure the long metal piece that supports the filter itself is of a large enough guage to support approx. 5lbs of suspended weight with only one side attatched. The guage of the metal is less important if you plan on extending the support piece all the way to the front of the engine bay and attatching to the screw on the front frame where the stock air-box mounted.

I hope this will help some of you who wish to not spend over $200 to install another aftermarket CAI!

I might choose to fabricate a metal shield to block some of the heat in the engine bay from reaching the filter. If I do, I will update this post with pics and instructions.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Looks very nice and professional. I'm sure a shield would only benefit the end product. Keep us posted on any new developments.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blkout said:
If you mean that its not a COLD air intake, I just touched it. :whistle:

To be technical, the stock air box and the Volant are the only true CAI's made for our engines. The Mopar and K&N and others all allow heat from the engine bay to enter the filter. CAI is a relative term in most cases. :)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
RTjunkie said:
To be technical, the stock air box and the Volant are the only true CAI's made for our engines. The Mopar and K&N and others all allow heat from the engine bay to enter the filter. CAI is a relative term in most cases. :)
Thats why. Do a search on my testing. I drove everyone nuts here for a while.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
RTjunkie said:
I totally agree with your first sentence, however CAI is not a relative term but an often misused term.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
I think that 'high flow filter assembly', or 'reduced friction filter assembly', would be more appropriate...:) .

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blkout said:
I totally agree with your first sentence, however CAI is not a relative term but an often misused term.

I can agree with that, it is misused, but until someone manages to make common a more suitable term for this type of induction, CAI will end up being universally used.

The only suitable replacement I've ever used in my own vocabulary would be "Open Air Intake".

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
RTjunkie said:
I can agree with that, it is misused, but until someone manages to make common a more suitable term for this type of induction, CAI will end up being universally used.

The only suitable replacement I've ever used in my own vocabulary would be "Open Air Intake".

Keep in mind, I'm not knocking your creativity. Kudos to you on a nice cheap mod. :clap:

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Blkout said:
Keep in mind, I'm not knocking your creativity. Kudos to you on a nice cheap mod. :clap:

Oh I realized that right off...I know you weren't trying to bash, hehe. And Fanx! :)

Fanx to High Hemi too! :D

I wish I had a Mopar CAI just to study...I honestly feel that with some true fabrication work I could make this work using the same principles Mopar built into thier setup....who knows. Will have to see what time will tell.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Down here in Houston, you could only get Cold Air Intake about 5 days a year regardless of design.

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
I put that same filter on my Mopar CAI...it has approx 40% more filter area than the Mopar...I was going to compare Dyno numbers if I ever get back to get the exhaust dyno results...

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
teros said:
Down here in Houston, you could only get Cold Air Intake about 5 days a year regardless of design.

Haha, maybe you just need a luke warm air intake then. LOL.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I did mine a little differently, and it is a true COLD (or near ambient) Air Intake. It is double walled, and now triple insulated (pix shows double wall, double insulated). I have also recently changed the airbox lid to the Daytona lid, which is one inch larger in diameter. I am currently using a True Flow air filter element...formerly used a K and N. The additional duct in the front of the airbox comes from just behind the grill. The airbox is now also double insulated. Using a ScanGauge, my intake temp. on the highway runs no higher than 5 degrees above ambient (usually 0-3), and in town, no more than 20 degrees above ambient.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
magnuman said:
I did mine a little differently, and it is a true COLD (or near ambient) Air Intake. It is double walled, and now triple insulated (pix shows double wall, double insulated). I have also recently changed the airbox lid to the Daytona lid, which is one inch larger in diameter. I am currently using a True Flow air filter element...formerly used a K and N. The additional duct in the front of the airbox comes from just behind the grill. The airbox is now also double insulated. Using a ScanGauge, my intake temp. on the highway runs no higher than 5 degrees above ambient (usually 0-3), and in town, no more than 20 degrees above ambient.

Interesting. How's the loss or gain in power as a result of the smaller diameter tubing running to the manifold?

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
F'n MEAN! I have nothing to prove this, but from hearing CAI's on other Hemi's, I think there is a direct accoustic link to the shape of the filter used, as well as placement and objects surrounding the mounting. I haven't heard a typical cone-shaped filter equiped CAI that has quite the amplification that this specific K&N has. (Part of my reason for choosing it...tried a couple different ones on the Lumina.) There is a serious resonating increase in volume from under the hood in the ~2800-4200 RPM range. Enough that I can physically feel it very well from the drivers seat, with the windows down. (Still stock exhaust!)

I'll see if I can find someone with a laptop around here and attempt to make some recordings. I can hook up my power inverter and a mini mixing console in my car then to record the sound using a studio mic. You'll have a VERY clear representation of the sound. :) Just gotta find that laptop...lol

1 - 20 of 48 Posts