Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at getting a cold air intake for my sxt 3.5L v6, and i have been looking around on ebay trying to find a good one, are there any suggestions on a cheap, but effective system?

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Buy the one that you think looks the best and fits within your budget. There isn't going to be enough of a performance difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones to warrant the higher price. I'm running one that locates the filter in the fender behind the fog lights. I bought it from an Ebay seller, but bought it direct through him because I know him from my truck club.
http://www.truedualexhaust.com/dodge.html

Scroll all the way to bottom of page.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy the one that you think looks the best and fits within your budget. There isn't going to be enough of a performance difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones to warrant the higher price. I'm running one that locates the filter in the fender behind the fog lights. I bought it from an Ebay seller, but bought it direct through him because I know him from my truck club.

Awesome! Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Does it matter where the air filter is, some of the ones I see on eBay end before it turns down towards the fog light area, and some go down to where the fog light is?

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
The ones in the fender area will truly pull in cold air from outside the engine bay. But once you get moving down the road there's not much of a difference.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ones in the fender area will truly pull in cold air from outside the engine bay. But once you get moving down the road there's not much of a difference.
Now will the gas mileage increase or will the CAI have a negative effect on mpg

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
You probably wont be able to notice any gas mileage increase as it would be small.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the same model charger and I went with a K&N CAI and I have been very happy
with cant say the gas mileage has increased and it sounds good! I think with the gas mileage issue it takes off faster so you use more juice but if you dont take advantage of the extra power you should see spike in mpg's.

·
Registered
76 Posts
From everything I've read, the only impact a CAI will have on gas mileage is decreasing it. Since you're sucking in more air the computer adds more fuel to keep the fuel/air ratio balanced. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I recently bought an inexpensive CAI off eBay from the seller "chromeintakes" for $65 shipped. I was able to install it myself and it works just as good as a $300 MOPAR one. 90% of a cold air intake are pipes and elbows that are exactly the same no matter which one you buy, the biggest factor in the filter.

My plan is to replace the filter on mine with a brand name one like K&N down the road, and replace the elbows that came with it (they're not metal they're made of some sort of silicone material) with something sturdier when needed. Once I do those 2 things I'll have one that is identical to a top shelf brand name CAI at about half the cost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts