Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard about sensor problems in cars with CAI specifically K&N filters that are impregnated with oil? This just came from a friend but he has heard that that over time the oil in the filter covers or fouls up sensors down line that then eventually will need to be replaced???
thanks
John

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have also heard that if you over oil your filter it can go down the line and affect the mass air flow sensor (MAF), which isn't cheap to replace. However, I also read that the Charger doesn't use an MAF, but a speed density system, so no worries there. Additonally, I also read that CAI systems have had no effect on LX cars...

·
Registered
111 Posts
2 Questions...

1) Are you specifically talking about K/N Oil Filters??? Just a bit confused, when you mention CAI as I take that to mean Cold Air Intake, as in the K/N Air Charger System...

I also read that CAI systems have had no effect on LX cars.
2) Again does thos apply to the K/N Air Charger or just the Oil Filter??? Where did you hear this?

I am about to purchase the K/N Air Charger 63-1114 and I do not want issues now or later as a result...

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
yes a CAI is cold air intake

Filters like K&N, air-raid and the like, use an oiled media, if when you clean your air filter and you re-oil it, you end up over oiling it, then the excess oil can be carried to the MAF burning onto the tires causeing sensor issues...

as far as CAI having no effect on LX cars...

they are referencing the fact that no matter what Cold air intake kit you buy... you will see little to no gains, and it is just a waste of money....

now if you were to put a blower on it.... thats a different story...

go over to LXforums.com and look at the CAI face off.... over 20 CAI kits dyno tested... with very minimal, if any gains... save your money to put towards headers or a cat-back exhaust

·
Registered
662 Posts
DAYTONA_R/T said:
go over to LXforums.com and look at the CAI face off.... over 20 CAI kits dyno tested... with very minimal, if any gains... save your money to put towards headers or a cat-back exhaust
This is exactly what I'm talking about. After hearing this, I'll probably just leave the stock air box alone.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I saw those Air Mod Dyno's, and have a question for you car "Geeks".. ( excuse the term ).

I don't remember, but were those tests done with just a stock car without any other mods ? Specifically Exhaust mods.

I'm an analytical sorta person, and if I look at mechanics, and you have X amount of output. ie exhaust. It wouldn't mater how big the inlet is.. so anyone know if an air filter with increased flow would enhance an exhaust that also increases flow ?

I'm having Zoomers installed this week, and was thinking about adding just a K&N Drop in for that possibility.

Hope it isn't a dumb question, but that is just how I figure things. lol

Tricster
Charger R/T

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
not sure if CV had cat-back kit or not...

not that it applies here, but on my current ride, testing was done by various members on the stock air box and CAI kits... turns out that with chevy trucks, the airbox flows more then enough air for the engine, the gain is in swapping the silencer tube to a straight tube... now granted, the LX cars already have a nice smooth intake tube.. and from what I have heard from talking LX owners at a local GTG, unless you go to forced induction... the stock box will supply all the air the engine wants...

now if you were to swap out to the dynomax header kit with high flow cats... dont know if that changes things at all...

I have only researched the performance aspect of the car slightly, as I dont have it yet, so getting as much general knowledge as I can on the car has been at my fore front...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was told by the guys at Zoomers exhaust to check out Valant they had engineered a nice cool intake. They weren't to much on the K&N filters. They also had said if you get the cat back system you should at least change your stock air filter with a high air flow filter.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Barracuda said:
I was told by the guys at Zoomers exhaust to check out Valant they had engineered a nice cool intake. They weren't to much on the K&N filters. They also had said if you get the cat back system you should at least change your stock air filter with a high air flow filter.
Volant?

also if you live in dusty areas (IE: like me, arizona desert) tru flow air filters work well... high flow and filter air better then K&N and the like...

·
Registered
93 Posts
DAYTONA_R/T: You state that the K&N or any of the CAI do not offer much, per other peoples tests, gains - if any, how do you justify this when you can look at the dyno sheets from K&N using a Magnum with the 5.7L Hemi and it gained like 23HP at the rear wheels?

I'd have to say from being in the racing industry for about 20 years racing everything from motocross to drag racing, every CAI I have ever dyno tested made gains. Specifically the last one, a K&N on my '98 Trans Am with no mods to it other than the CAI made a 21HP gain, dynoed before and then after the install, we did the install right on the dyno while it was strapped down.

You think a company like K&N is just fabricating their testing results to sell products? Just curious on your rational?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Okay, after reading all the information and resulting tennis match back & forth, I would have to say that the DCX engineers did a good job on this thing. Also, I agree with the computer issues as the "learning" of the ODBII system was an issue with the ECU in the T/A. I spent over $2000 in dyno testing for various mods, after each mod was added etc. and I/we dispelled a lot of 'theories' regarding various power-adders. The whole package was the result - we changed everything from the air intake to head/cam kit, headers (tried both long tube & short tube, long tubes won of course), no cats and extensive computer tuning. We ended up gaining around 115hp total for about $6000 worth of modifications and testing. We also put the car on a serious "diet" which helped of course only at the track. A diet would not work on the Daytona cause I'm not gutting the interior or cutting out metal on this car, the T/A was just a normal T/A and not a numbered or special car.

So, back to the K&N issue, I would have to say that without other mods to help the intake, that for the $$, you should just put in a K&N filter in the stock airbox.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts