Charger Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I received/installed the AFE Stage 2 for my 3.5 on Wednesday. I've noticed at WOT that the engine seems to go from "full-power" to ... ummm ... "full-full-power", especially at about 5100rpm. Not sure how to describe it, it sounds like a turbo is kicking in! (but without another kick-in-the-seat jump in acceleration) There is a definite change in the sound of the engine! :grin:

Could there be a change in the intake system that happens there (valve opening?), or is the computer possibly detecting the higher amount of air and boosting the fuel input? :knockout: I don't think it's a problem, it's just something I didn't hear before the CAI went on. I did NOT do a "Fuse 11" reset after the intake install, I wanted to see if the computer adjusts itself. It sure ROARS at WOT now!

Has anyone else with a CAI noticed this?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Hi All,

I received/installed the AFE Stage 2 for my 3.5 on Wednesday. I've noticed at WOT that the engine seems to go from "full-power" to ... ummm ... "full-full-power", especially at about 5100rpm. Not sure how to describe it, it sounds like a turbo is kicking in! (but without another kick-in-the-seat jump in acceleration) There is a definite change in the sound of the engine! :grin:

Could there be a change in the intake system that happens there (valve opening?), or is the computer possibly detecting the higher amount of air and boosting the fuel input? :knockout: I don't think it's a problem, it's just something I didn't hear before the CAI went on. I did NOT do a "Fuse 11" reset after the intake install, I wanted to see if the computer adjusts itself. It sure ROARS at WOT now!

Has anyone else with a CAI noticed this?

Thanks all.
yes, in both the 3.5 and the 2.7 our intake manifolds are dual tuned. which means there is a valve in the runners.

this is how we have so much torque down low, but then when we get to a certain speed/rpm, the valve opens up so we dont sacrifice power mid range to up top.

its an old school setup, lots of fords run it as well, like the v8's, i think in the lightnings, but def the mustangs.

more or less it allows high velocity flow into the engine via one valve per runner, but opens up to two valves so the engine has enough air to support higher rpm driving.

its REALLY noticeable in a 2.7. i had one as a rental when i first became interested in buying a charger. when you floor em, stock intake and all.... its like the car raises rpms, but then after a few split seconds of accelerating, you hear the second set of valves open up in the runners and you feel it too! :)

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ST! That's kind of what I figured, but I guess it wasn't as noticeable until the CAI went in.

btw, I like the Tsunami-Blue! Great color idea! :grin:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts