Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an SRT and had to take into a dealer to fix the fog lamps. Anyway, I picked it up drove it home 17miles in hot dry weather Thursday. opened it up today just to look at something else and noticed the air filter from the CAI was completely unscrewed and detached. I also noted the bracket was flipped from how I had it. I placed all brackets in a certain direction so I could easily unscrew it. Why the dealer felt like detaching it I have no clue but what damage could have been caused?

I took the whole thing off and cleaned it out really well and it did not look that bad. I am more concerned what may have gotten into the engine while it was off. It seems to drive fine like always.

· Registered
1,127 Posts
im pretty sure if something bad got in youd know by now, anything small and harmless should get burned up, if not youde know, cause it would go bang bang bang and youde see something kinda like this

· Registered
2,034 Posts
Nothing to worry about. You could drive around for weeks without an air filter, and you would just dirty up your oil quicker. Any bugs sucked in would be burned up and spit out. Back when I owned jet skis, they never had air filters as the air on a lake is pretty clean. Relax.

· Registered
8,143 Posts
I have an SRT and had to take into a dealer to fix the fog lamps. Anyway, I picked it up drove it home 17miles in hot dry weather Thursday. opened it up today just to look at something else and noticed the air filter from the CAI was completely unscrewed and detached. I also noted the bracket was flipped from how I had it. I placed all brackets in a certain direction so I could easily unscrew it. Why the dealer felt like detaching it I have no clue but what damage could have been caused?

I took the whole thing off and cleaned it out really well and it did not look that bad. I am more concerned what may have gotten into the engine while it was off. It seems to drive fine like always.
Like others have said, the worst that could have happened is that your oil got dirtier quicker...I mean, the car still runs and doesn't make weird noises like thumpthumpthump...so don't sweat it! I know guys who run the 1/4 with no air filter on expensive engines...and they don't sweat it.

As for the dealer fooling around with it...could be true what they say. MAYBE they didn't fool around with it...I'll tell you why... Last week I went to clean my CAI's filter, so I open the hood and notice that the filter is at an angle so I see if I could put it straight with only my hands, and it moved easily. Good thing for me I gather, was that the CAI was an aFe. A smaller filter most likely would have fallen right off...It was pretty loose. You can be sure that I'll verify it's tightness every month, if not sooner!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.