Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

I have a scenario for you all. I found a black 2006 charger srt8 that I'm thinking about buying. The car has 50,000 on it, it has the following upgrades.
426 hemi
Kook Headers
Airaid Intake
Mopar Springs
Tremac Transmission
Edge Torque Converter
Diablo Performance Chip
Flowmaster exhaust
Bilstien shocks
Mopar Strut bar
Viper 22" wheels
3.91 gears
Cutouts

The owner wants 26000 for it? I think that a good deal but wanted your opinions? Also, has anyone heard of any problems with the 426 hemi? What should I look for when purchasing the vehicle. I was going to take it to a dealership to have them do a pre purchase inspection, but wanted to know if that would tell me anything about the engine work that was done? My main concern is I dont want to buy something that wasnt installed correctly or will break down.

thanks

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I would look into what an 06 in excellent shape with 50,000 is going for before deciding if 26,000 is a good deal. Just because it has performance upgrades doesn't mean it makes the car more valuable. Also I wouldn't take it to a dealer for an pre buy inspection, I don't take my car to a dealer for anything unless I have too. If it is possible I would take it to a reputable mechanic in the area for the inspection. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I'd do it just for that transmission. Have you test drove it?

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
This has a 6sp manual? If so, did someone work out the issues?....cant remember reading about someone being successful but maybe I missed it....

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
The transmission definitely stands out. If this does indeed have a 6-spd manual transmission, this is the first one I have heard of (other than the few Dodge made as test cars prior to the Chally being released). Many others gave up when the cost of adding a manual was WAY too much. We are talking about $10K+. More information is needed.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
To me, the big questions are

1. What shop did the work? It must be a place that specializes in 426s

2. How hard has it been driven?

I would be very leery of buying a heavily modded car with 50K on it

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Hello Guys,

I have a scenario for you all. I found a black 2006 charger srt8 that I'm thinking about buying. The car has 50,000 on it, it has the following upgrades.
426 hemi
Kook Headers
Airaid Intake
Mopar Springs
Tremac Transmission
Edge Torque Converter
Diablo Performance Chip
Flowmaster exhaust
Bilstien shocks
Mopar Strut bar
Viper 22" wheels
3.91 gears
Cutouts

The owner wants 26000 for it? I think that a good deal but wanted your opinions? Also, has anyone heard of any problems with the 426 hemi? What should I look for when purchasing the vehicle. I was going to take it to a dealership to have them do a pre purchase inspection, but wanted to know if that would tell me anything about the engine work that was done? My main concern is I dont want to buy something that wasnt installed correctly or will break down.

thanks
Bebyberry,

If you want a copy of the build sheet PM me the Vin with build sheet request in the title and I will send you one. That way you can at least determine what options the car came with originally.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts

Never thought I'd say it...but I agree with the MCeasar. :D

It could very easily be the best deal of the year...or you could end up with a dust-collector in your garage.

Why would someone put that much money and work into the car, then turn around and sell it? Smells fishy to me.

Does the work carry any type of warranty? If he's done everything to it that he's claiming, that is EXTENSIVE work.

Does anyone even know if the Tremac will handle the output from a built 426?

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
A Tremec handles Viper ACR uses a Tremec, so it should handle a 426.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts

It could very easily be the best deal of the year...or you could end up with a dust-collector in your garage.

Why would someone put that much money and work into the car, then turn around and sell it? Smells fishy to me.

Does the work carry any type of warranty? If he's done everything to it that he's claiming, that is EXTENSIVE work.

Does anyone even know if the Tremac will handle the output from a built 426?
come over to the dark side Luke!

·
Banned
8,603 Posts

Does anyone even know if the Tremac will handle the output from a built 426?[/QUOTE]

The Tremac comes in most of the fast cars built today...Corvette Z06, Mustang Shelby, Viper, etc.....

The SRT10 Ram truck i had came with the Tremac 6 spd...it handled over 700 LBTQ w/o issue except for the clutch....I put 3 in that truck over the course of 30K miles....The OEM went the first time I went to the track....the next went about 10K miles (forgot the brand)...the last one was a Spec stage III that I put 15K miles on before trading......

If I remember right the clutch was the issue that killed the Charger conversion Keisler Engineering worked on back in 2006........

·
Registered
6,061 Posts

Does anyone even know if the Tremac will handle the output from a built 426?[/QUOTE]

The Tremac comes in most of the fast cars built today...Corvette Z06, Mustang Shelby, Viper, etc.....

The SRT10 Ram truck i had came with the Tremac 6 spd...it handled over 700 LBTQ w/o issue except for the clutch....I put 3 in that truck over the course of 30K miles....The OEM went the first time I went to the track....the next went about 10K miles (forgot the brand)...the last one was a Spec stage III that I put 15K miles on before trading......

If I remember right the clutch was the issue that killed the Charger conversion Keisler Engineering worked on back in 2006........

Why do people keep calling it Tremac? It is Tremec, right? As in the T-56, etc. http://www.tremec.com/

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts

exactly, find out WHAT shop made the parts and what shop did the install. How long has that 426 been in there? A LOT of problems can surface in a matter of some break in miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The work was done by inertia motorsports in Texas. I called the company to confirm that the work was done there. The reason for the sale is the guy is going through a divorce and needs to sell the car. Here is link to the specs on the car

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3823243/2006-dodge-charger-srt8-sedan-4d

I don't know to much about the transmission but would love your opinions

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
That is a well known shop and I believe the car is owned by a forum member either here or on the LX Forums.

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
The mods list a Tremec trans with an Edge torque converter....since Tremec doesnt make an auto trans I would want the owner to clarify before any offers are made....buyer beware!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
The mods list a Tremec trans with an Edge torque converter....since Tremec doesnt make an auto trans I would want the owner to clarify before any offers are made....buyer beware!
The picture he shows on that website clearly shows the stock automatic shifter...so yea, something seems strange about that.

Overall, it just seems like a pretty big chunk of change to throw into a project someone else built.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.