Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! In a few days I am going to be purchasing a 2020 Black Scat Pack Widebody Preowned with 4500 miles on it. It already has some imperfections in the paint from the previous owner (nothing significant) but I can tell (especially because it's black paint) that the front bumper/lip/hood and front/back flares are going to get wrecked by rock chips and other road debris. I want to try my best to preserve the factory paint, and whatever I need to do, I want to do it ASAP.

I know some people talk about ceramic coat, and some people talk about the clear plastic wrap to protect the paint. I called one place and they said to cover just the front bumper, hood, and all 4 fender flares it would be $2500, which I find to be pretty steep. I might consider $2000 it if it was for the entire car. I hear the ceramic coat doesn't protect the car as good with rock chips and that it wouldn't be a good idea if the car isn't brand new because it will make the imperfections in the paint stand out more.

What are your thoughts? What has worked for you? I don't want my car getting scratched/chipped up!

Thanks for your advice in advance, and looking forward to being part of the community.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Paint correction and ceramic would be the cheapest way out
Would be 5k plus just to clear wrap the car.
Check with the local car guys for the best detailer and ceramic guy.
Souls run anywhere between 1k to 2k depending on how much paint correction you need.
If you live in Zoo Jersey I got a guy 🤣

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Ceramic isn't going to prevent paint chips.... it isn't some magic layer for physical damage. If you really want to prevent the chips you'll need a film and done right it isn't cheap.

As I've gotten older and daily drive my cars I've come to accept some chips here and there and keep a paint pen handy for when it is needed. I generally buy cars used (wife gets the new ones!) so when I was looking to replace my 2006 Charger I was stunned how many 2015+ had more chips and dings than my 150k mile car! Sure I had rusty rear quarters but if you park smart and take care of your car that goes a long way!

I had a black 1996 Impala SS... that was a lot of car to keep clean so I feel your pain.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I absolutely recommend paint protection film which can be topped with a ceramic coating. If I remember correctly, It cost me about $2K to do the front bumper, hood, fenders, sideskirts, lower doors, lower rear bumper (behind the wheels), and the trunk sill.

·
Registered
2021 Widebody Scatpack
21 Posts
I'd recommend putting rock guards on front/rear. I have a SPWB and it was the first thing I did with the tires sticking out like they do. Came with the mopar front ones in the trunk, but I went with ZL1 Addons due to some recommendations and personal preference

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
OMG I look at some of these prices and tip over. One loose rock. One uncourteous owner who parks next to you out of spite. Yara yada yada and there goes the 2 to 5 thousand dollar paint protection. And I thought just washing and an occasional wax job was good enough for the compliments I received until I sold it or someone else totalled it for me. I've got to get on board next new car.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
If this is going to be a daily driver I'd say **** it and just wash it and do your best. It's black, and it sits extremely low to the ground. You'll spend $5k on a film only to find you have chips along the lower portions of the doors, A Pillars, rear doors. I have 147k miles of nothing on mine, minus a new bumper cover 2 years ago after a deer collision, and it's chipped up a bit but no rash. I have chips on both my A pillars, both mirrors, the bottoms of the front doors.

I used to wash mine weekly, full strip and clay bar, compound, polish, wax, and sealant twice a year or more, and now I do it once in the spring and you couldn't tell a different. It's driven 18k miles a year in the Northeast, so it sees all four seasons, and is parked outside on occasion. When I was it, it looks brand new to the untrained eye. People cannot believe it's 8 years old and 147k miles. It's got dozens of flaws, but it's a daily and over the past few years I've come to accept it.

Now if it's going to be a weekend warrior or garage queen, then by all means do it.

·
Registered
2021 Widebody Scatpack
21 Posts
I agree with the daily driver treatment, mine is also my DD. I couldn't see myself paying $5k for films/treatments. I like the rock guard, because they look good, cheap, and catch lots of the crap the tires throw. My car parks outside, get washed, and a detail done a couple time s a year.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'm on Black car #6 (I swore after the 2nd one I wouldn't get another one). It is absolutely a labor of love.

Wash it, wax it and be careful where you park if you're going to daily drive it. Anything else is literally just giving your money away.

Maybe hit up @Junkman2008 's YouTube and follow his advice on care for the paint.

·
Registered
2019 TorRed Charger Scatpack Daytona
340 Posts
I'd recommend PPF on the front end as you said, shop around for quotes for a good installer + good film.

I had PPF installed front bumper, whole hood, headlights and that cost about 1300+tax here in Canada.
Adding the fenders would have made it a lot higher, but I have a narrow body so not an issue. Doing the fenders on all four corners would be needed on your car in my opinion.

I had ceramic coating applied afterwards to the whole car and that ran me about 1K CAD. Had a discount through a friend. And its very well maintained. No new rock chips in the PPF related areas. Its nice to pull up to meets or after a drive and be able to wipe off bugs, with no issue.

Very satisfied.
In addition, as someone else mentioned rock guards on all four corners have helped immensely and they're not noticeable :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
My car is my daily which is the reason I have the film applied. More mileage = more chances for it to get damaged. My film has no holes in it after almost a year of use, and it has a 10 year warranty. My father's brand-ish new trucks already have tons of rock chips from driving back and forth to Chicago where he works, and he regrets not getting film applied.

What it comes down to, I suppose, is how much you care about how your car looks. Some people care more than others, and that's okay. Take a look at this video and see how well PPF protected this Porche.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My car is my daily which is the reason I have the film applied. More mileage = more chances for it to get damaged. My film has no holes in it after almost a year of use, and it has a 10 year warranty. My father's brand-ish new trucks already have tons of rock chips from driving back and forth to Chicago where he works, and he regrets not getting film applied.

What it comes down to, I suppose, is how much you care about how your car looks. Some people care more than others, and that's okay. Take a look at this video and see how well PPF protected this Porche.

Thanks for your response! If you don't mind me asking, how much of your car is covered and how much did it cost?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks for your response! If you don't mind me asking, how much of your car is covered and how much did it cost?
I don't remember how much I paid because I had it done in sections, but I can double check when I get home. I have full PPF on my hood, front bumper (and headlights), fenders, and sideskirts, and partial PPF on my A pillars, roof, doors (lower), and bumper (behind the wheels and on the trunk sill).

I work in a detailing shop so I coated the car a few weeks after having the PPF applied.

·
Registered
2019 TorRed Charger Scatpack Daytona
340 Posts
I don't remember how much I paid because I had it done in sections, but I can double check when I get home. I have full PPF on my hood, front bumper (and headlights), fenders, and sideskirts, and partial PPF on my A pillars, roof, doors (lower), and bumper (behind the wheels and on the trunk sill).

I work in a detailing shop so I coated the car a few weeks after having the PPF applied.
I'm jealous lol

·
Registered
3,583 Posts

I'd be curious to see what that looks like. I've seen some good PPF jobs, and also some horrible ones. I saw a Porsche that looked absolutely terrible.

Reactions: 1ian20

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've been looking at getting PPF for my 21 SPWB and have been quoted from $5K to 7K for a full wrap and partial front warp has been between $1500 & $2600. Seems very taxed to me for pricing, but what I've been quoted does appear to be on par with what others pricing. It looks to be very labor intensive, so I could understand why.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts