Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your opinions and experience with the build quality of your car.

I'm somewhat disappointed in the overall build quality of my 2019 Scat Pack. The left front has a rattle driving over rough roads at slow speeds. The car has 35,000 miles but the noise has been present since the car hit the 20,000 mile mark. I just pulled the car out of the service department after they had it for 2 weeks troubleshooting it using diagnostic ears, test driving it, back ordering parts and installed those parts that comprise the complete strut assembly. The noise is still present so they opened up a STAR report to get some outside assistance and approval to replace more parts. I take it back Monday under the open ticket for more parts replacement.

As I read the forums its evident there are a lot of issues. There is the un-explainable rear brake pad design change on the Brembo 4 pots where the new pad has a narrower sweep across the rotor. This seems to affect late 2019 production and pad spares. It affect the Challenger too. My dealer said they just did a $3000 brake job on a Trackhawk that had toasted brakes and warped rotors. The replacement rear pads were the narrow design.

There is a recent complaint about loose adhesive tape discovered making noise between the interior roof liner and roof on sunroof configured Scat Pack. Possibly a very costly repair for FCA if they need to remove the front or rear window to remove the roof liner to repair whatever is wrong. Not to mention the inconvenience to the owner.

And there are multiple complaints about failed U-Connect units going back order for months. Not to mention the dreaded software releases that temporarily freeze units. Or the clocks that reset automatically twice a year in the WRONG direction.

List other quality issues you are aware of.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I've had two Chargers, a loaded R/T 5.7, and a bare bones Super Bee. Both have been great. You have to realize these are rental fleet cars with big motors. You're paying the $35k for the motor, not fancy stuff. My wife's 2018 Infiniti cost more than my 392, and has lots and lots more goodies than even my fully optioned R/T, but it still has a rattle in the dash. Also, the maintenance on my 392 is still cheaper than the Infiniti.

They're a bargain car and quality for what you pay for. The car is essentially the same, minus the motor and brakes, from the SE model than can be bought in the low 20s up to the Hellcat Redeye which I've seen for over $90k.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No significant issues with my Charger at 39K+ miles...

I had an AC module that went bad that was replaced at N/C under warranty.
I had the radio flashed to update the software which fixed my BT connectivity issues, also done at N/C under warranty.

·
Registered
285 Posts
They better NOT have build quality issues with the ever increasing price. The 2020 models are finally up on the canadian site.

A 2020 SXT Charger with AWD is $45,000. I think people are insane to pay this price. The 392 and Hellcat versions have increased by $10,000 over 5 years with almost no significant updates.

If they're not offering Ram Classics still in a few years I don't know how anyone who doesn't make $100,000 a year can afford one.

Think I have to accept that somehow Mopars are too rich for my blood. Really sad to see them approaching luxury car price but without the quality.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
They better NOT have build quality issues with the ever increasing price. The 2020 models are finally up on the canadian site.

A 2020 SXT Charger with AWD is $45,000. I think people are insane to pay this price. The 392 and Hellcat versions have increased by $10,000 over 5 years with almost no significant updates.

If they're not offering Ram Classics still in a few years I don't know how anyone who doesn't make $100,000 a year can afford one.

Think I have to accept that somehow Mopars are too rich for my blood. Really sad to see them approaching luxury car price but without the quality.
I agree with you that the price of "common folks" vehicles is getting insane, it isn't just Dodge. My brother in law just spend over $90k on an F-250 or 350 dually. I saw a RAM 1500 last year for $69k. However, look at the price of a new Kia Sorento and you're at $50k. Vehicle prices seem like they skyrocketed in the past decade. It's no wonder people are financing cars for 7 years.

I'd be curious to know what the vehicle with the least overall complaints is. It's certainly not the German luxury brands, as I'd say those have the highest number of complaints, and while Honda's and Toyota's have been known to be reliable, have always to me seemed on the cheaper side unless you buy the fully loaded versions which then the price is sky high as well.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Can't look at the finished price, in your top of the line models this is all powertrain cost. It's sort of a joke but it's really true, these are $20K cars with expensive drivelines. A Hellcat is really the same car inside as the SXT but with that said, I have had no issues with my 2016. Paint and build quality were excellent imho and I've had no other problems with it at all.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
I agree with you that the price of "common folks" vehicles is getting insane, it isn't just Dodge. My brother in law just spend over $90k on an F-250 or 350 dually. I saw a RAM 1500 last year for $69k. However, look at the price of a new Kia Sorento and you're at $50k. Vehicle prices seem like they skyrocketed in the past decade. It's no wonder people are financing cars for 7 years.

I'd be curious to know what the vehicle with the least overall complaints is. It's certainly not the German luxury brands, as I'd say those have the highest number of complaints, and while Honda's and Toyota's have been known to be reliable, have always to me seemed on the cheaper side unless you buy the fully loaded versions which then the price is sky high as well.
I've seen enough complaints on interior quality alone to steer me away from the newer gen mopars. I was going to plan out a Ram 2500 6.4 stick shift but they axed those too. The stick shift 5.7 challengers are too expensive. The v6 Chargers are too expensive. The "All New with the same old engine/trans Rams 1500s are way too expensive.

It's gotten really sad. Normal cars are becoming out of reach for any normal working class people who also want to be financially responsible. Sure I could pay $700 a month for the Charger or Challenger I want but what does that suggest I care about to my wife and kids?

I make reasonable money, and I'm watching these car prices wondering where the hell everyone is getting all this money?

Something tells me I'm going to end up in an econo box Kia and it hurts my soul.

There's just no way I'm paying that money for an unimpressive version of a car, let alone one thats been in oroduction 10 years.

It may seem like I ***** and complain but it's only because I love cars and driving. Driving seems to be the last feature of modern cars.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've had two Chargers, a loaded R/T 5.7, and a bare bones Super Bee. Both have been great. You have to realize these are rental fleet cars with big motors. .........
Lol. But even rental companies have standards.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 19 is 13 months old and has 8,700 miles. I have a few inconsistent interior rattles that irritate me but that has been the only issue. I'm debating taking it to the dealer but don't feel like having them chase rattles which could result in creating new ones. I don't know if it is the car's overall quality or the horrific roads in Michigan that are to blame for the rattles...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ScatF8; The interior squeak I had was the plastic skirt around the passenger seat. I pulled, pushed, punched it and finally got underneath with spray lube and gave it a good squirt where the plastic snaps in place.

The other was a rattle coming from the driver seat belt retractor latch that locks in place during hard stops. Off with the B pillar panel and a spritz of lube quieted it down. I tested the safety pawl and it still works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ScatF8; The interior squeak I had was the plastic skirt around the passenger seat. I pulled, pushed, punched it and finally got underneath with spray lube and gave it a good squirt where the plastic snaps in place.

The other was a rattle coming from the driver seat belt retractor latch that locks in place during hard stops. Off with the B pillar panel and a spritz of lube quieted it down. I tested the safety pawl and it still works.
Thanks for the tip. I have rattling in both driver/passenger b pillars. Something in the front dash plastic by the windshield on the drivers side, and one mid dash near the main display

·
Registered
193 Posts
Is it a Dodge.....I expect crap from all American car makers. My Infiniti G37 was solid, so was my Acura CLS.
I'll tell you where I notice the most difference..The DEALERS. The foreign dealers go out of their way to please, & the locations are far nicer.
So far 2 trips to the deaerl for my door panel & ZERO communication from them , or customer care. I had to call them each time for updates.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Is it a Dodge.....I expect crap from all American car makers. My Infiniti G37 was solid, so was my Acura CLS.
I'll tell you where I notice the most difference..The DEALERS. The foreign dealers go out of their way to please, & the locations are far nicer.
So far 2 trips to the deaerl for my door panel & ZERO communication from them , or customer care. I had to call them each time for updates.
If you look into it majority of the manufacturers have passed sround the same execs and engineers over time, people will bounce sround companies. They're also using the same pool of suppliers for parts. They're all comprised of a whole pile of parts from different locstions. American vehicles aren't really american anymore. Additionally a lot of the domestics are put together in north america.

They all have problems and they all have good cars too. Some good some bad. The difference is flavour and styling. Thats it.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Hi jt2016, I am so sorry that you feel this way. Please know that our team would be more than happy to provide assistance. Please follow up with us via DM to provide more details regarding your concerns.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
My 19 is 13 months old and has 8,700 miles. I have a few inconsistent interior rattles that irritate me but that has been the only issue. I'm debating taking it to the dealer but don't feel like having them chase rattles which could result in creating new ones. I don't know if it is the car's overall quality or the horrific roads in Michigan that are to blame for the rattles...
Hi ScatF8, Sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local Dodge dealer, please let us know via DM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.
Rob
DodgeCares

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
Well there you have it! Dodge does care and will send you to the dealer for repairs! LOL

Like Slidd said, you are paying for performance. Took my wife in to look at the new Hellcats, first thing she asked after sitting in the passenger seat was what is the difference between my 2013 and the 2019. I had to show her the way the control knobs were re-arranged and the different looking (Somewhat) Evic. Doors, dash pretty much everything is the same. Want quality build with very few problems get a German car or something like Infinity.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts