Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Charger RT 5.7 and I am looking to get a oil cath can now that I just installed a AFE cold air intake and will be installing a diablo 93 oct performance tune soon. I am looking to get a Billet Technologys oil catch can but I would like to know which mount to go with. i would like to keep my engine cover on and i dont think I would want all the long hoses on for the fender mount, so is the standered mount my only option?

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I had the regular front engine mount on my '14 5.7 and also had the AFE2 CAI. I had no issues with emptying the catch can at each oil change. When I bought my SP, BT advised me to just get the Z bracket and use my current catch can instead of buying a new one.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Here are a couple pics of the catch can I had on my '14. Hope they help.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
No problem.... good luck. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
how beneficial is a oil catch can? Worth the money?
The benefits are that it looks cool and it has a practical purpose if you race your car, increase the HP of your engine, or you like your engine to run efficiently.
The cool factor is subjective and a personal decision (just like racing stripes, sport wheels, etc ...).
If you modify the engine to increase HP, race the car, etc ... then the catch can has a very practical purpose/advantage due to the increase in blow-by or internal pressure in the crankcase.
If you're a average driver with no significant engine modifications but still don't like the idea of oil mist being sucked into the intake manifold, increasing carbon build-up in the cylinders, etc ... then the catch can also has a practical purpose/advantage.
The sole purpose of the oil catch can is to catch the oil that would normally be passed to the intake manifold and burned in the cylinders. The advantage of the catch can is proportional to the amount of oil mist being passed from the crankcase to the PCV valve to the intake manifold. The stock Hemi is operating with 10.5:1 compression ratio. This is enough to create some blow-by the piston rings. Increase the compression ratio and/or operate at higher RPMs and you increase the amount of blow-by. Increased oil mist in the cylinders has the effect of lowering the octane rating of the fuel during ignition/combustion and also increase carbon build-up in the cylinders over time.

The bottom line ...
Are you going to increase the HP of the engine, drive at higher RPMs for extended periods of time, keep the car for a long time, or just like the cool factor in the engine compartment? Get the catch can.
Are you just going to keep the car for a couple of years and drive it as an appliance? You can skip the catch can,

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The benefits are that it looks cool and it has a practical purpose if you race your car, increase the HP of your engine, or you like your engine to run efficiently.
The cool factor is subjective and a personal decision (just like racing stripes, sport wheels, etc ...).
If you modify the engine to increase HP, race the car, etc ... then the catch can has a very practical purpose/advantage due to the increase in blow-by or internal pressure in the crankcase.
If you're a average driver with no significant engine modifications but still don't like the idea of oil mist being sucked into the intake manifold, increasing carbon build-up in the cylinders, etc ... then the catch can also has a practical purpose/advantage.
The sole purpose of the oil catch can is to catch the oil that would normally be passed to the intake manifold and burned in the cylinders. The advantage of the catch can is proportional to the amount of oil mist being passed from the crankcase to the PCV valve to the intake manifold. The stock Hemi is operating with 10.5:1 compression ratio. This is enough to create some blow-by the piston rings. Increase the compression ratio and/or operate at higher RPMs and you increase the amount of blow-by. Increased oil mist in the cylinders has the effect of lowering the octane rating of the fuel during ignition/combustion and also increase carbon build-up in the cylinders over time.

The bottom line ...
Are you going to increase the HP of the engine, drive at higher RPMs for extended periods of time, keep the car for a long time, or just like the cool factor in the engine compartment? Get the catch can.
Are you just going to keep the car for a couple of years and drive it as an appliance? You can skip the catch can,
As someone who regularly tracks their car, I couldn't confirm this above. In fact I consume no oil on a track day in with the 392 at 10.9:1. Compression ratios do not change blow by rates. How tight the motor is, piston speed, head design, wear, oil thickness etc are all factors. By your theory a 12 or 13:1 motor would just regularly consume oil at the track. They don't.

In another car a few holes in the crank case changes the drainage flow eliminating the need for a catch can.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, i think im gonna get a Billet Catch Can just for peace of mind. I will be taking my car to the track this year as well as road trips and like i said before its my daily driver and i do like to have some fun on open roads haha. Does anyone know of any discount codes for Billet Techonolgy?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts