Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well....looks like it was my turn in the I hate Dodge Charger vandals. Overnight, a bundle of newspapers were thrown at my windshield, smashing the entire drivers side. Little bastards.

Anyway, while I am waiting for the glass man to come and replace it, what can I do with all the very small pieces of glass that are stuck to the roof of the car? It seems the fine glass/powder and small bits are stuck...the car was a bit wet last night from the humitiy, and I guess the sunlight this morning made this happen.....or, the glass is just a bit sticky....the car is in the shade now.

Maybe somebody here had a windshield broken with the same issue and can chime in some good advice? I would say warm water maybe, but with the windshield busted, and a new one coming in...I don't know if I can get it wet....

What to do?

- Mark

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Plastic sheets and duct tape all around the outer edge of the windshield, provided there's enough of the windshield edges left to do so. Just not on the paint, obviously. Put another plastic sheet on the dash and try to pucker the edges up so any water that might happen to get past the tape doesn't drop all over the dash and run inside the car. Rinse with a low pressure stream, testing first to make sure you got a decent enough seal.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
I'm reading this as you've got glass debris on the roof itself. It'll be abrasive so you don't want to rub it in. Probably the best thing to do is clear the area immediately around the windowframe with a damp paper towel. Just daub it down and lift it straight back up again without any side-to-side motion. Then wait for the replacement to be installed. Once that's done, wait the required curing time then take the car through a touchless car wash to get a high-pressure water blast.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
What if he used the blue painters tape and laid that across the roof? And then gently lift it off the roof? Would that make the glass stick to it and pull it all off without rubbing the roof with any other methods which could cause micro scratches or maybe larger?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
What if he used the blue painters tape and laid that across the roof? And then gently lift it off the roof? Would that make the glass stick to it and pull it all off without rubbing the roof with any other methods which could cause micro scratches or maybe larger?
Could grind the glass into the clear coat. The human hand isn't steady enough to not move the fractions of a millimeter it would take for that to happen when coupled with enough pressure to get the glass to stick to the tape vs. the roof.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Intead of water, why not use air? Compressed air nozzle and blow the stuff off. Just hold the airgun at a low angle so it lifts the glass pieces and blows them away.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Low pressure water stream first (soak), after the glass has loosened up then higher pressure. If you hit it with high pressure while it's still "Stuck" to your paint you WILL scratch it. If you can wait a day and not drive it till your new window cures, then wash it off, all the better

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks guys................the window man has left the building.

He told me that I could wash down the car, just don't use a steady stream at the seams....so, did the roof, and it looked like I got it all....and the water seemed to go right within the gutters on the side.

I tell you one thing though...if you never watched them put a window in..don't. Though the install was great (so far!), it's painful to watch them rip things off.

If you are unfortunate to have this happen to you, get the glass off the roof first...don't let it sit. Also, the windshield is the cheapest. It costs $225, compared to the rear that is $1000, sides $300.........

I thought I had comp w.glass 500ded...but...it was only comp coverage w/$500ded...lesson learned...now I have the coverage, but it cost me $220.

Not a fun 24 hours.

Thanks again,
- Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts