Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife took out 06 charger to get a oil change a a dealership that lost it's Dodge contract. She was told that the car had a broken front sway bar. Does the cahrger need a sway bar? It's funny that the car was just inspected 3 months ago and nothing was said about sway bars being bad. Anyone knows if is covered under warrenty and what would cause a broken sway bar in normal driving?

Jim

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just spoke with the mechanic and it the front sway bar links are bad and need replacing. It's covered under the extended warrenty.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I figured it was the links and not the actual bar. Those usually go, along with the bushings.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
As many people here that have installed aftermarket kits -- you can probably post in the parts wanted and get someone local to help you out. Install is a breeze.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Glad to hear it. I'd be scared to find out how to break a sway bar! :eek:

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Go aftermarket... the Chrysler crap is known to be just that... crap. Didn't last more than a year on my car, normal driving, and I think they were always noisy. Replaced them with aftermarket, the car has been riding quieter than ever!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Go aftermarket... the Chrysler crap is known to be just that... crap. Didn't last more than a year on my car, normal driving, and I think they were always noisy. Replaced them with aftermarket, the car has been riding quieter than ever!
Which sway links did you end up using? Bwoody?

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Which sway links did you end up using? Bwoody?
No idea. This was done at an independent shop that I trust when it comes to suspension issues, after umpteen visits to the dealer over 2 years chasing down repetitive noises, pops and clunks up front.

The new ones could have been made of baby poo and I'd still take them over Chrysler replacements. :D

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
No idea. This was done at an independent shop that I trust when it comes to suspension issues, after umpteen visits to the dealer over 2 years chasing down repetitive noises, pops and clunks up front.

The new ones could have been made of baby poo and I'd still take them over Chrysler replacements. :D
Gotcha... I ask because I've got some clunks I'm tracking down in the front end.

A quick check on Rockauto confirms that Moog makes end links for us. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they put in.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I figured they might have used Moog but if I recall correctly, the counter dude told me another name I did not recognize. Usually I'm with any of my cars 100% of the time when they're in for anything, but that time I had a lot of work to do and had to leave them the car.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Besides, Moog is on my "watch" list... 3 years ago I replaced an outer tie rod end on my WS6 for a *tiny* bit of play on the original. It was REALLY loose when I checked last month. I had no choice but to put on another moog but the mileage I got off that unit was earily 1/4 of what I got out of the original unit.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Besides, Moog is on my "watch" list... 3 years ago I replaced an outer tie rod end on my WS6 for a *tiny* bit of play on the original. It was REALLY loose when I checked last month. I had no choice but to put on another moog but the mileage I got off that unit was earily 1/4 of what I got out of the original unit.
Spicer? Does that ring a bell?

Did the failed MOOG have a zerk like every MOOG part I've ever seen?

They have been known to buy and put OEM in their boxes when they can't keep up with demand.

I know guys who have bought MOOG parts and found one MOOG branded in one box and another OEM in the other box. Happened to me when I bought outer tie rods for the Charger.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Spicer? Does that ring a bell?

Did the failed MOOG have a zerk like every MOOG part I've ever seen?

They have been known to buy and put OEM in their boxes when they can't keep up with demand.

I know guys who have bought MOOG parts and found one MOOG branded in one box and another OEM in the other box. Happened to me when I bought outer tie rods for the Charger.
Doesn't ring a bell. I can't swear on it (my mind was overloaded for the past few months) but I'm pretty sure there was a zerk on it... I remember making a note to myself back during installation on the need to lube this new unit versus the sealed OEM kind. I have nothing against OEM when it comes to my WS6... the driver's side is still OEM at 65000 and tight as anything. I probably shouldn't have even been concerned about the small play I found in the passenger's side unit back in 2006 but I was trying to troubleshoot something and was open to any ideas (turned out to be unrelated). The Moog certainly had FAR more play in it last month than the OEM one had back in 2006. Live and learn...

Spicer doesn't ring a bell. I think I asked them to make a note on my invoice since I couldn't recognize then name. I'll check at home and post back if I find it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts