Charger Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Guys;

I'm on my 3rd pair of pads on rotors on my car. (2014, 3.6L, 8spd)

First pair - OEM, replaced at 80,000 km (49709.695 miles) - High heat caused cracking of the pads

Second Pair - Carbon Ceramic pads & Rotors - Best possible option on the market without upgrading my calipers.

2 months later squeaking started.

Third pair - Same carbon ceramic pads and rotors warranty replacement.

Now two months since then and under light breaking when i first start breaking i get a very soft squeak from the rear. Before it was on the front with the second pair.
I've even changed how i drive for this third pair because i know i drive fast but i do break quite smoothly meaning longer times on my breaks. But let's face it, it's a big girl to try and slow down when she gets going.
I've searched the internet trying to figure out why before i go back and get another warranty covered replacement. They were saying it could possibly be my calipers getting stuck but that def doesn't seem like an issue seeing as the wear and everything is even when last inspected.

So wondering if anyone more knowledgeable could shed some light on what to do.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Adrion:
It could be that one or more of the pads is vibrating under the gentle braking pressure. Does the noise go away if you press harder? I have been successful in such situations using disc quieting spray (Permatex is one brand) that you spray on the back of the pads, and let it get tacky (dry a bit) before installing them.
If you have not tried this, give it a go.

Don

Reactions: Adrian Ion

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, ill give that a try. I got to take off the pads to apply it right? (sorry if its a stupid question)

& Ya once i apply more pressure it's fully gone. or if i release and engage again its gone. its just that initial squeak drives me nuts.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
Adrian:
Correct.
Remove the pads, make sure the back sides are clean of debris, spray the brake quiet on them, allow to get tacky, and reinstall.

Don

Reactions: Adrian Ion

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
Did you put anti-squeal compound on the backs of the pads when you put them on? That stuff helps a lot. CRC Disk Brake Quiet.

Also, those brakes need heat to work their best. Try redoing the bedding procedure: 60 mph to 5 mph several times in a row. That can help stop the squeak for a while. I had to do that occasionally with the EBC Yellowstuff pads on my car.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My rear brakes do it... LOUDLY! Until I apply just a little more brake pedal and the squeal stops. I think the dealership I got my car from swapped in their Chrysler Value Line pads? Because those would be the only pads I know from experience that aren't "tapered" on the leading edge.

The straight sharp edge on the leading side will cause a squeak/squeal everytime you apply easy pedal unless you bevel them first.

Just like everyone here has said, some good disc quiet on the backside of the pads will help. But if the edge of the pads is a sharp 90 degree edge, they're gonna make noise.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya there was quite a bit of compound on them when i got them installed last. I think i'll just apply some myself and i'll check the pads. I may just switch the pads to something else. And i'll see if i can find ones with a curve to them like you said. all some good tips.

I'm also starting to think that since i got rotors and pads that are meant to cool down real fast because the OEM where overheating. Maybe im not getting enough heat in them now since i also changed how i drive.

i'll see if i can get to it this week and post an update

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I had Power Stop Z23 Carbon fiber/ceramic pads on my car for a couple years and grew to despise them..they were fine when hot, but when cold they didn't grab worth a damn and squeaked. I recently replaced the Z23's with Raybestos "Element 3 Enhanced Hybrid Technology" semi-metallic/ceramic pads that grip like crazy cold or hot, and they don't squeak. I use CNC brake pad quiet (the red stuff).

You may wan't to give these pads a try (about $45 for the fronts,$40 for the rear)

Attachments

·
Vendor
10,388 Posts
Hey, Guys;

I'm on my 3rd pair of pads on rotors on my car. (2014, 3.6L, 8spd)

First pair - OEM, replaced at 80,000 km (49709.695 miles) - High heat caused cracking of the pads

Second Pair - Carbon Ceramic pads & Rotors - Best possible option on the market without upgrading my calipers.

2 months later squeaking started.

Third pair - Same carbon ceramic pads and rotors warranty replacement.

Now two months since then and under light breaking when i first start breaking i get a very soft squeak from the rear. Before it was on the front with the second pair.
I've even changed how i drive for this third pair because i know i drive fast but i do break quite smoothly meaning longer times on my breaks. But let's face it, it's a big girl to try and slow down when she gets going.
I've searched the internet trying to figure out why before i go back and get another warranty covered replacement. They were saying it could possibly be my calipers getting stuck but that def doesn't seem like an issue seeing as the wear and everything is even when last inspected.

So wondering if anyone more knowledgeable could shed some light on what to do.
Are there any microgrooves on the rotor surface? Many people do not burnish the surface of the rotor before they put the pads on them and the pads end up acting like phonograph needles and squealing. We always take off the rotor, use 80 grit sand paper to put swirls on the disc and then put the pads back on and the burnishing marks cut down the grooves and the pads quiet down. Most shops and people weren't taught to do this and squealing is the results typically.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
293 Posts
Are there any microgrooves on the rotor surface? Many people do not burnish the surface of the rotor before they put the pads on them and the pads end up acting like phonograph needles and squealing. We always take off the rotor, use 80 grit sand paper to put swirls on the disc and then put the pads back on and the burnishing marks cut down the grooves and the pads quiet down. Most shops and people weren't taught to do this and squealing is the results typically.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

I bought one of these several years ago. Chuck it in a cordless drill and do the very same thing Brian here is talking about. "Deglaze" them? Burnish. Crosshatch. Whatever you wanna call it, this seems to work as well. :)

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
I have one of those hones as well. I probably bought it about 20 years ago. I use it every time I put on a new set of pads.

Best,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.