Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK the $50,000 question. I know this will stir debate, but what is the best way to break in the engine without breaking the engine? I have heard the school of "break it in like you will drive it" and there is the "Baby it for the first thousand or you'll pay later" I know there is no one good answer, but I am interested in what the group thinks. Sorry if this turns into the Next Posi Question.

Lammy

·
Banned
27 Posts
Well I have no idea with new cars, but I build hotrods and we always run the engine at idle for 30 minutes after it's in the car, then change the oil, then go drive it like you stole it.

New engines are a totally different breed, so I don't know if our method applies or not. If you want to know what IIII'D do, I'd drive it hard. It's under warranty.

·
Registered
127 Posts
good question

i broke in my Dakota RT "like i would normally drive it" and i felt that in the long run(1-2 yrs. later) i felt that the truck had gotten weaker

now with the Charger, so far, im doing the same thing
only because its hard to baby a HEMI :happy:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Just like the owners manual says for this kid. I'll generally trust the engineers who designed it. No offense, I'm a fairly good wrench myself, but I'm not a loads/mechanical/drivetrain engineer, with the experience of running a bunch of these engines through simulated 200K lifespans, with occasional engine dyno checks.

Of course, part of this depends on what you expect of your car, lifespan wise. Plan on building a new motor before 60K, knock it out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have the baby yet and I was just wondering how mean I can be. I don't have the coin for a new motor in 60K so I guess the book wins. So it is the standard vary the RPM's for the first 1K and not too rough...

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
guyton84 said:
I'd drive it hard. It's under warranty.
thats what I thought back when I had my 94 t-bird... and I blew the tranny.... too bad the tranny went about 3,000 miles AFTER the warrenty ended.... so that cost me a bit.... :whistle:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
guyton84 said:
It's under warranty.
You DO realize what the new warranty is, right? 3 years, 36,000 miles.

Now, I racked up 20K + my first year in the SRT-4.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I drove my like I was running from the srt10.....

·
Registered
331 Posts
From what I have read, these new adaptive transmissions will mold to your driving habits. Because of this, the break-in period may be more important than it used to be. If you baby it too much, your car might not shift in a way that is optimal for quick acceleration. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yes, but that adaptation is a constant thing. A week (or maybe less, I'm not sure) of hitting it hard is enough to get it right. One 300C member mentioned that when he drove his wifes for the first time (they both have one) he was surprised at the shifting difference, hers seemed weak.

After a little while (I can't remember how long) , it adapted and shifted more like his.

So the tranny is no reason not to follow the book. AFTER break in, then hammer time:)

·
Banned
27 Posts
GLHS837 said:
You DO realize what the new warranty is, right? 3 years, 36,000 miles.

Now, I racked up 20K + my first year in the SRT-4.

There are two schools when it comes to high performance. The geezer in the Vette school, and the twenty-something year old with 600 hp school.

If you are looking to putt around in your Hemi V8, then it'll last you. If you want real power under your foot, you WILL break things here and there.

Replacing an engine is not necessary at 60,000 miles. Mostly, if you blow a motor, a rebuild is all you need. While it is expensive, it's not purchasing a new crate motor and having it installed by the manufacturer. If you do THAT, plan on paying blood, sweat, tears, arms, legs, first born sons....

Drive it, break it fix it...

or

baby it forever

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Oddly enough, I'm the geezer (40) with the 600hp car:)

Actually, its only 300+ but it only weighs 3000 lbs (Stage 3 SRT-4, and yes, I installed it all by myself). And she has over 25 strip passes, and has been running Mopar Stage 3 from 45K to 54K. Why I like SRT products, just drive it, if you dont abuse it, it most likely wont break. .

I drive my car hard, no babying here. I broke her in on my way home from Miami where I bought her brand new, to MD, where I live. And shes been driven hard ever since, all 54 thousand miles. If I'm not hitting WOT at least a few times a day, I'm most likey driving the wifes truck:)

My contention is that you can follow the book for the recommended without being the old guy with a Vette that has never been over 85 or hit WOT. And yes I knew a guy like that, sad it was.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The break in period stated in the manual is 300 miles. It also says, high rpm pulls in higher gears are good (it also tells you to stay within the law) and that low gear pulls can hurt the engine. Also, speeds up to 55 mph are preferable.

So mine had some 3rd gear pulls onto freeways, 5th-4th gear passes, and a lot of highway crusing and babying around. Plus a couple 1st gear pulls "just to see" ;) Now I've got over 800 miles and everything still works great :D

:cool:

·
Registered
77 Posts
At Lustine Dodge Where I Bought My Charger The Have A Lifetime Warenty On The Powertrain As Long As U Do All The Recomended Service At The Dealership So I Drive The Car Like My Patrol Car. As Long As I Keep Up With The Service And Something Goes Wrong They Are Going To Fix It

·
Registered
630 Posts
copcharger said:
At Lustine Dodge Where I Bought My Charger The Have A Lifetime Warenty On The Powertrain As Long As U Do All The Recomended Service At The Dealership So I Drive The Car Like My Patrol Car. As Long As I Keep Up With The Service And Something Goes Wrong They Are Going To Fix It
Ok, I'm usually not one to complain about how someone posts, but this is getting hard to read. Is there something you are doing to your posts to make each word capitalized? I would help in readability if you didn't.

Sorry to complain, but I like to be able read people's thoughts and not have to decipher oddly formed sentences.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
If it's set like Ekools other forums, that is a by product of typing all in caps. Lets try, I'll type this next all in caps, lets see how it turns out.

SEE, IF I TYPE ALL IN CAPS IT LOOKS LIKE THIS

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
But If I Type With The Caps Lock On And The Whole Post Is Caps.......

And there you have it, it's an anti-yelling device :happy: (If you edit the post, it stays funky.

·
Registered
630 Posts
GLHS837 said:
If it's set like Ekools other forums, that is a by product of typing all in caps. Lets try, I'll type this next all in caps, lets see how it turns out.

SEE, IF I TYPE ALL IN CAPS IT LOOKS LIKE THIS
Nope came thru in all caps. <shrug>

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got the inferno red R/T and i babied it but at the same time drove it the way i would normally drive a car. I just hit 500 miles and the car feels great.
At times i will go real fast just to ease the engine into my driving habits. This baby is freakin fast and heads turn all day long. Cheers to my fellow Charger owners.

By the weay i was in manhattan NY the other day and a taxi hit me from behind and it pushed me alot, I expected tons of damage and when I tell you not 1 scratch came out of it I mean not a scartch, no dings no nothing.
If I was to say i can see even the smallest scratch or anything I would be lying.
This car is god. You gotta love the interior as well.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts