Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as some of you know, i have a 2007 Dodge Charger R/T AWD, it just turned 800 miles, but im curious about the break in period, yes the dealer told me to take it easy the first 1000 miles, vairy speed between 40-60 on highway, and something similar on street, i have been taking it easy, there were only 2 times i floored it, and the fastest i got was 90, then again that was downhill, and the only time iv modertally punched the gas was from a stopping point to get onto the highway, i hate those types of merges, anyways, in all, is this bad, did i screw up already, im curious.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I did 500 miles..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im sorry but im not understanding what your trying to say

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so, even with that little harsh driving, but rarely, did i do a bad thing yet.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
its broke in after i think 750, (it says in the manual) but your car will be weak until around the 3rd oil change (9000)
for me at 9000 miles my engine woke up

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, i was worried that during the break in the "500" with that LITTLE, u know, would do anything, thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Ok, as some of you know, i have a 2007 Dodge Charger R/T AWD, it just turned 800 miles, but im curious about the break in period, yes the dealer told me to take it easy the first 1000 miles, vairy speed between 40-60 on highway, and something similar on street, i have been taking it easy, there were only 2 times i floored it, and the fastest i got was 90, then again that was downhill, and the only time iv modertally punched the gas was from a stopping point to get onto the highway, i hate those types of merges, anyways, in all, is this bad, did i screw up already, im curious.
No - you didn't screw up. The thing is that there are many non-mechanically-sympathetic and many non-mechanically-minded people who do need guidance on how to treat a new engine. That's why the manufacturer states what should be done during the break-in period, in the cars user manual.

You won't have hurt the engine - it's more likely that continued use of WOT and high speed driving from 0 miles that are going to cause problems down the road. Not the occasional 'blip'.

Just follow what the manual says and you'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
x2.....but when you get a chance enjoy that HEMI !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I treated mine like yours and shes been happy with me :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
You already missed the boat on doing an ideal piston ring seating...the first hundred or so(really 50) miles are critical from what I've read and believe - especially on these newer motors that don't really break in a while lot. The maunal clearly states no WOT starts from a stop, and I believe that's to protect the rear-end internals that like a few heating and cooling cycles to really harden up. At this point, you can't help or hurt it - she'll run great regardless. Enjoy!

Eric

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had basically the same question. 2020 Charger RT. The sales rep told me to open it up. I did 0 to 60 twice. After that, I drove home 60 to 80 mph with a couple of bumps here and there. I was hoping to have my nerves and worries settled from reviewing the conversations here. Car had 21 miles on it when I drove it. I don't know how it was driven before me. Whata you think folks?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
First post I see. Welcome to the forums from Texas.

Of those first 21 miles, 10 are driven at max RPM doing donuts in the assembly plant parking lot followed by 10 miles at wide open throttle. The 21st mile is just the distance driving it from the wash rack to the transporter and off of it at the dealership.

Truthfully that was a lie above. In all honesty 21 miles is nothing on a brand new car. Brand new I presume if it only had 21 original miles. I also wouldn't worry about the 0-60 or bump to 80 a few times on the way home. Not much has changes since this post was created and last posted in 2007. I would open the owners manual to the break-in procedure and simply start following the manufacturers guidelines.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
3 Posts
The maunal clearly states no WOT starts from a stop, and I believe that's to protect the rear-end internals that like a few heating and cooling cycles to really harden up. At this point, you can't help or hurt it - she'll run great regardless. Enjoy!
First post I see. Welcome to the forums from Texas.

Of those first 21 miles, 10 are driven at max RPM doing donuts in the assembly plant parking lot followed by 10 miles at wide open throttle. The 21st mile is just the distance driving it from the wash rack to the transporter and off of it at the dealership.

Truthfully that was a lie above. In all honesty 21 miles is nothing on a brand new car. Brand new I presume if it only had 21 original miles. I also wouldn't worry about the 0-60 or bump to 80 a few times on the way home. Not much has changes since this post was created and last posted in 2007. I would open the owners manual to the break-in procedure and simply start following the manufacturers guidelines.
Thanks for the reponse Onez ST. Like your sense of humor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts