Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as some of you know, i have a 2007 Dodge Charger R/T AWD, it just turned 800 miles, but im curious about the break in period, yes the dealer told me to take it easy the first 1000 miles, vairy speed between 40-60 on highway, and something similar on street, i have been taking it easy, there were only 2 times i floored it, and the fastest i got was 90, then again that was downhill, and the only time iv modertally punched the gas was from a stopping point to get onto the highway, i hate those types of merges, anyways, in all, is this bad, did i screw up already, im curious.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I did 500 miles..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im sorry but im not understanding what your trying to say

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so, even with that little harsh driving, but rarely, did i do a bad thing yet.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
its broke in after i think 750, (it says in the manual) but your car will be weak until around the 3rd oil change (9000)
for me at 9000 miles my engine woke up

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, i was worried that during the break in the "500" with that LITTLE, u know, would do anything, thanks.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Ok, as some of you know, i have a 2007 Dodge Charger R/T AWD, it just turned 800 miles, but im curious about the break in period, yes the dealer told me to take it easy the first 1000 miles, vairy speed between 40-60 on highway, and something similar on street, i have been taking it easy, there were only 2 times i floored it, and the fastest i got was 90, then again that was downhill, and the only time iv modertally punched the gas was from a stopping point to get onto the highway, i hate those types of merges, anyways, in all, is this bad, did i screw up already, im curious.
No - you didn't screw up. The thing is that there are many non-mechanically-sympathetic and many non-mechanically-minded people who do need guidance on how to treat a new engine. That's why the manufacturer states what should be done during the break-in period, in the cars user manual.

You won't have hurt the engine - it's more likely that continued use of WOT and high speed driving from 0 miles that are going to cause problems down the road. Not the occasional 'blip'.

Just follow what the manual says and you'll be fine. :)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
x2.....but when you get a chance enjoy that HEMI !!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I treated mine like yours and shes been happy with me :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
You already missed the boat on doing an ideal piston ring seating...the first hundred or so(really 50) miles are critical from what I've read and believe - especially on these newer motors that don't really break in a while lot. The maunal clearly states no WOT starts from a stop, and I believe that's to protect the rear-end internals that like a few heating and cooling cycles to really harden up. At this point, you can't help or hurt it - she'll run great regardless. Enjoy!

Eric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts