Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I just turned 140 miles and counting. My wife and I took a trip to the shore and I was so happy to do so. I got it with 8 miles on it and got it up to 39 miles since I got it.
So the drive to the shore was great. I didn't use cruise control I varied my speed from a low 55 may up to 68 mph. I didn't hold a speed for a long time or keep the RPM's the same. I tried to keep moving them around to help the break in period go as proper as stated in the manual.
I have not full throttled the car yet as I'm waiting for at least 500 plus miles. I have a 81 ole ride home and I'm gonna feather it home and do basically the same thing. I'll be into the 200's by the time I get home and hopefully I'll hit 500 in the next few weeks.
I always baby my new cars for the first 1000 miles or so. Then I drive them hard on occasion. I'm not hard on my vehicles and spinning tires and being nutty is a thing of the past for me. I actually get annoyed. BUT running the 1/4 and hitting back roads from time to time is very fun.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
He has a scat pack. Had to wrap back to another of his threads.

As far as babying your car during break-in, I think a long as it isnt abused you'll be fine. At some point during the first 200 miles of test drives my car was driven 125 mph per the evic that had not been cleared. It was then driven 380 miles from one dealer to another on interstate highways as a dealer trade where I took delivery of if. Only reason we know the high speed happened before the dealer trade is the guy transfering the scat pack was there old trusted employee.

The 6.4 is pretty robust so don't get worried about going the speed limit on a freeway.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I pretty much followed the break in but the first thing I did when my car came in and with the salesman in the car was a proper test drive and that included a run up to 80 mph on a smooth highway to check for vibration. Also made a few medium slowdowns from speed to check for pull. After the car passed these steps then we went back to the dealership where I could completely inspect the car in the sunshine. Sometimes an over adherence to the break in schedule will end up with you discovering something too late then you have to play dealer games to get them fixed if ever.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
477 Posts
In my opinion engine build tolerances is so precise these days a “break in” is not necessary. That being said, I followed the manufacturer’s recommendation of 500 miles.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I didn't want a whining rear end so aside from that short 80 mph run, I did take it easy on the speed and distance and let the rear cool down a few times. Did the same with my other new Challenger and on both cars the rears were dead quiet.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Good point. Many people think the break-in is only for the engine.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
To be fair, that break in was just for SRT then Hellcat which you figured might see some competition or hard use. Believe there's also a line about no track use until 1500 miles. Won't see that in the R/T manual.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I think Ford has a 1000 mile break-in on the 5.0 engines. No open throttle for the first 100 and then no towing or performance runs until 1000 miles. I don't know many people that observe that. So, the 500 mile break-in for performance Chargers seems reasonable in comparison.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's really hard to control yourself when you have all that power. I've been very good with mine.
It's a Scat Pack.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Valet Mode is your friend.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
My 2 cents if I may. My "new" vehicles are usually well past the 1000 mile mark, but if I should ever own one, I'll likely take it easy for that first 1k. Beyond that though, all bets would be off. If an issue is going to show it's ugly head, I'd prefer it be under warranty, and not on my dime. Remember, that vehicles used in LE and other public services are full throttle right out of the gate once they are marked up, and in service. That includes high speed runs as well as idling at a scene or hours on end.

I'm all for taking good care of any car, but you bought a car that looks damn good, and can get out of it's own way, so when the opportunity presents to safely clean the "carbon off of the valves" (movie reference), I take it if possible. I think my Charger has seen triple digits once or twice since I brought it home in October of '16. I'm more of a 0-60, or 0-80 fan.

Don :0)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I think Ford has a 1000 mile break-in on the 5.0 engines. No open throttle for the first 100 and then no towing or performance runs until 1000 miles. I don't know many people that observe that. So, the 500 mile break-in for performance Chargers seems reasonable in comparison.
Heh...someone should have told me that. :)

I loved the coyote 5.0 paired with the manual trans. Mine spent a LOT of time near the redline almost from the moment I brought it home. Heh...

Best,

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I'm all for taking good care of any car, but you bought a car that looks damn good, and can get out of it's own way, so when the opportunity presents to safely clean the "carbon off of the valves" (movie reference), I take it if possible. I think my Charger has seen triple digits once or twice since I brought it home in October of '16. I'm more of a 0-60, or 0-80 fan.

Don :0)
I'm with you. I like the quick sprint from a dig the best. Here in VA, getting caught doing 20mph over the speed limit or 85+ regardless of the speed limit can get you arrested for reckless driving. It has happened to people I know. A trip to the pokey + astronomical insurance rates for a few years. No thanks.

Best,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts