Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I think I found my car today at the dealer. It's a 14 Billet silver R/T with 60 miles on it. Everything checked out as I was looking at it, but when I popped the hood and looked at the engine I noticed in the middle there was some rust on it. Is this a problem? Is it just cosmetic and something I should ask the dealer to remove before I buy? Or is it a deeper issue?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Pics of the rust or we can't answer the question.

Reactions: POWERMAN

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man I should have taken pics, but I didn't think quick enough to do it. Without any pics can you tell me anything? Should I try to go back and take some? Thanks for replying

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay I'll have to do that. I'll try to do that tonight if possible. Is there anything you guys think it could be or are there just a million possibilities?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Is there anything you guys think it could be
I wonder if it is just rust proofing liquid spilled over...?

Over here, vehicles ordered with rust proofing from Chrysler Dealerships have a yellowish/brownish appearance in general and are applied before delivery to the customer..

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Okay I'll have to do that. I'll try to do that tonight if possible. Is there anything you guys think it could be or are there just a million possibilities?
It's probably minor and not an issue...but without pics...we can't give you a good answer. ;)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No doubt guys, I really appreciate your quick responses. I'm super excited for this if everything works out. I just called the dealer. I'm getting off work in about an hour and a half and I'm going to go by and snap some pics to post here and have my mechanic buddy look at

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright guys, I got these pictures just now at the dealer, the last one shows the rust pretty well. There's not much of it but let me know what you see and what you think....Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Where is the engine cover? Did you remove it?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
The rust is superficial but I wonder why there is so much oxidation.

Where is this car located? Is it near salt air from the ocean?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where is the engine cover? Did you remove it?
shoot I should have mentioned that I did to inspect the rest of it. yes the engine cover was removed.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No it isn't located near an ocean now, it's in A suburb of Portland, Oregon called Beaverton.My buddy said he can remove it and coat it with rust protector for really cheap

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So is this car okay to purchase in your guys' opinions? My mechanic said it was no big deal like Ddaddy had said, and he will take care of the rust. I think I am going to negotiate the deal and try to get the price down on it.

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
This is what I talk about when I mention filoform corrosion. This is aluminum's attempt at rusting. Remember that aluminum is made from bauxite and it wants to go back to it's original form. Any kind of moisture and you get this kind of corrosion.

This months specials #12

"12) One Quart QuantumBlue Anti-Corrosion Metal Dry Lubricant Spray - $24.29. Designed for the engine compartment to prevent corrosion - which is the white powdery corrosion on heads(V8 and V6) and engine blocks of the (V6). Great anti-conductive spray to keep water, salt and corrosion out of wires. Safe on all plastics. Great to keep all the corrosion off the engine and the wiring during Winter! (Save 8.50)"

I developed this when my SRT8 started to do the same thing. I don't have this problem any longer and neither do my customers that use our anti-corrosion spray!;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Brian,
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I have heard about your producers on here before via the other members. Once the dust settles so speak and I buy the car I will look into your products a little more. But I have heard nothing but good from others. So what you're saying though, is that the rust is not necessarily uncommon?

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Brian,
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I have heard about your producers on here before via the other members. Once the dust settles so speak and I buy the car I will look into your products a little more. But I have heard nothing but good from others. So what you're saying though, is that the rust is not necessarily uncommon?
Glad to hear you have heard good things about our materials! We have over 10,000 customers on the forum now so great!

Yes, this is very common with any unprotected aluminum surface. I would love for Chrysler to have put some form of coating on it but they are just naked. When I first encountered this many years ago I did some testing to find out how to stop it in it's tracks. I came up with an anti-corrosion formula that I put in a vehicle (liquid that allows you to spray it) and tested it. I adjusted the formulate so that it would not only stop the aluminum filoform corrosion but also be safe on plastics and actually "dry out" wires and other components that normally would corrode causing failures or no starts or overheating of components etc.

Using the QuantumBlue Anti-Corrosion Metal Dry Lubricant Spray, it will stop this, stabilize it and keep it from continuing to corrode. Simply take a brush to remove the powder and then spray it. Do this every 6 months to a year and it will never get any worse!:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
which is the white powdery corrosion on heads(V8 and V6) and engine blocks of the (V6).[/url]
The V6 engine blocks are all aluminum while the Hemi is iron.
Didn't think you need to worry about corrosion with an aluminum block.
I do see spots of white on my valve covers and that's about it, much better than rust.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad to hear you have heard good things about our materials! We have over 10,000 customers on the forum now so great!

Yes, this is very common with any unprotected aluminum surface. I would love for Chrysler to have put some form of coating on it but they are just naked. When I first encountered this many years ago I did some testing to find out how to stop it in it's tracks. I came up with an anti-corrosion formula that I put in a vehicle (liquid that allows you to spray it) and tested it. I adjusted the formulate so that it would not only stop the aluminum filoform corrosion but also be safe on plastics and actually "dry out" wires and other components that normally would corrode causing failures or no starts or overheating of components etc.

Using the QuantumBlue Anti-Corrosion Metal Dry Lubricant Spray, it will stop this, stabilize it and keep it from continuing to corrode. Simply take a brush to remove the powder and then spray it. Do this every 6 months to a year and it will never get any worse!:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

Thanks a ton Brian, I'll be looking into your products very soon and I may have done mire questions for you:bigthumb:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have rust in the exact same area and it looks the exact same as the pictures. Car sat on the lot past winter so not sure how it got to that point. I would have to assume it's no big deal though, especially since that car is new and it literally looks the exact same as my engine which is just over a year old.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts