Charger Forums banner

Brampton shut down

6K views 76 replies 15 participants last post by  Slidd 
#1 ·
#36 ·
I had to drop off an Elantra to the dealership for a recall yesterday so me and the wife swung by the FCA show room on the complex and talked to the salesman I traded my Scat Pack last month. He said it flew off the lot which was no surprise. He said the production line shutdown has really impacted inventory and as soon as they process arriving Charger and Challenger inventory and throw discounts on the window the cars are sold. He said in the past it was easy to do a dealer to dealer transfer to get a customers car, but the lack of inventory has made that more difficult and they are now having to buy the car from another dealer and then send a crew to that location to drive the car and MSO back to their dealership for the customer. And that might be a 200 to 300 mile distance.

He said a few people were interested in my old scat but didn't get financing approval. He said within a few days a guy that bought a new 5.7 2 months earlier dropped by the dealer and traded his 2 month old R/T for the used Scat.

The inventory of Chargers and Challengers on the lot were mostly V6. The few 2019 Charger sxt's I looked at were stickered in the $22k. to 25k range. I think I saw one that was in the very low 30's. But most of the inventory sitting on the lot were Jeep products.

I also read that Ford had to shut its line down for a few days this week due to a few cases of Covid on the line. I imagine this will be a routine cycle for all car manufacturers for a while.

#37 ·
Similar inventory situation in the Phoenix area. Yesterday I did a quick online inventory survey of the 3 largest FCA dealers in the valley. Not one new Charger or Challenger SRT and zero Jeep GC SRT's and Trackhawks. So the plant outages have been great for inventory reduction and you can be sure as new production starts arriving (albeit slowly) that the dealers are going to be very "proud" on their pricing.

#38 ·
With 38million people out of work and 14.7% unemployment rate, not to mention many with cut pay and hours, a glut of used cars from the rental fleets, I don't see a large demand for the rest of the year. Trouble is with low supply of Hemi chargers. Maybe I'll find a used SRT if I wait long enough.

From US News:
Roughly 38.6 million Americans have now sought jobless benefits over the last nine weeks, illustrating the devastating and unprecedented toll the coronavirus has taken on the U.S. economy.

#40 ·
What are your thoughts about the glut of used rental vehicles in rental companies . Do you see rental companies dumping them on the market to reduce inventory? Or do you see rental companies pulling orders for new cars to reduce (or maintain) their inventory and retaining their current fleet for a future surge when travel picks up.

#42 ·
That's correct. Rental companies are cancelling orders and keeping a majority of their fleet which will be both taxable assets for the 2020 tax year and depreciation tax write offs. So I'm not sure how periodicals are coming up with the position rhat program cars are saturating the used car market.

#43 ·
Hertz is in huge trouble right now and if they go under, that's another 500,000 cars on the used market.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#45 ·
Anyone able to place an order?

It's just surprising how different "On Line", "No contact" sales is from one dealer to the next.

The place doing appointments doesn't have any Hemi Chargers to test drive, another you need to buy it and make the deal first, then you can make an appointment to see the car and finalize the sale, and they actually claim they are selling cars this way.

#53 ·
Anyone able to place an order?

It's just surprising how different "On Line", "No contact" sales is from one dealer to the next.

The place doing appointments doesn't have any Hemi Chargers to test drive, another you need to buy it and make the deal first, then you can make an appointment to see the car and finalize the sale, and they actually claim they are selling cars this way.
I placed my order for a 2020 scatpack on 4/22/20 in the middle of the shutdown. It's been about 30 days or so and my order has been stuck in D1 status for 3 weeks. I was given an estimated ship date of 6/8/20 (we'll see). Like you, I couldn't find a scatpack with the color or interior I wanted, so factory order was the way to go. Dealer bought out my lease return in exchange for the factory order last month, no deposit was put down and I was promised $1k below invoice on the order, which is a great starting point.

#46 ·
Yikes...That sure does seem strange...claiming they are selling cars like that...Probably happens by state...but believe my state allows dealers to open soon...in days I believe...Curious what happens if just "looking" ...can admit to show room? Prolly roped off right to salesmen's desk...follow ropes to each other office..captive all the way,..Cars prolly have to be spray disinfected after each customer sits in...I watched them spray liquid into my car when taking in to service dept...Still rubbing it off with other cleaners as it spotted the seats, dash..and windows...No Thnx...
I don;t know how they handle DMV paperwork...Guess ther paper plates are extended use...Have a friend that bought from private seller...car still sitting in his driveway, can't register it...until DMV offices reopen...been over a month...Seems state Gov doesn't care about private buying...would think they should at east pay for your Uber rides...

#48 ·
My dealership remained open. I just had to set up an appointment to make my purchase last month.

Regarding title and registrations. In Texas we go through the tax office to process tags and titles. New car sales saw a delay in filing MSO and info to get plates and registration because they could simply issue temp plates as needed. However, the tag office just opened up this week and they will start processing dealer sales

For private car sales, mail, email, and phone were options while in-person services are unavailable. I'm not sure how many people took advantage of it, but the state of Texas also waived penalties if private transfers were not processed during the office closures and will continue to waive penalties for the next 60 days as things normalize.

Car sales and repairs were considered essential in Texas, so if someone needed a safety inspection or oil change or new tires, there were no serious issues getting things taken care of.

#47 ·
If I was buying a brand new model of some vehicle, I would insist upon a test drive of a similarly equipped used model at minimum. When I bought my '14 R/T, I had already driven one with most of the options I wanted. I made it clear to the folks who so kindly brought it to Toledo, Ohio from their dealership in Dundee, Michigan, that I retained the right to refuse delivery after seeing it if it was not as we had discussed. They had no issue with that. I took it on a short test drive, signed the papers, and drove it home after a pleasant dinner at the Cracker Barrel where they met me.

Don

#49 ·
When I picked up the Tesla, the dealership was arranging for test drives and pick-ups by appointment. I believe my local Dodge dealer is open...at least it appeared to be when I last drove out that way.

It's a buyer's market. If you feel like you want/need a test drive and a dealer won't accommodate you, I'd shop elsewhere. I see so many people that whine about the dealer experience, but keep going right back there to bend over again and again. It's your money, vote with it.

Best,

Reactions: N8ECH and ONEZ ST
#50 ·
I want the Employee pricing and will hold out for it. Pretty sure I will have to order what I want.

I don't think the sales are serious and there's excuse with COVID to not need to work at it As seems they are still getting paid with govt funny money COVID dollars.

Youngest daughter is out of work and with unemployment and fed checks she's paying off all her debt. Granted still living at home but when was the last time you heard someone paying off debt during job loss.

Will hold out until the financial reporting and the realization of real financial losses sets in with closures and unfortunately more job losses. Hertz about to go belly up and there will be no car orders from rental companies for probably at least a year.

#51 ·
Also, some rental agencies run their used car sales with disclaimers on the site like Enterprise that reads: " Used vehicles were previously part of the Enterprise rental fleet and/or an affiliated company’s lease fleet or purchased by Enterprise from sources including auto auctions, customer trade-ins or from other sources, with a possible previous use including rental, lease, transportation network company or other use."

Hertz does the same too. No clue if Avis, Budget, Alamo, etc are the same type of marketers in the used car business. Also makes me wonder and hope when a rental company sells used cars they make it clear what pedigree the car is that someone is buying.

#55 ·
Hertz does the same too. No clue if Avis, Budget, Alamo, etc are the same type of marketers in the used car business. Also makes me wonder and hope when a rental company sells used cars they make it clear what pedigree the car is that someone is buying.
If a company files for bankruptcy, do they still need to pay back their debtors?
Or do they have to get rid of existing inventory to soften the blow?

I thought they were given a clean slate to start over, lol.

#56 ·
BK comes in 2 chapters...if Re-organization is chosen, debt remains...as far as I recall...
Brampton reopens..I 'd be real curious just how aggressive the assembly lines are running....[ perhaps yielding very slow deliveries]...If we get a second wave of C19, and return to major lockdown...I'll bet the 2021 models yr is put on hold, maybe even dropped...for Fiat as well as a few other car Mfrs...

#70 ·
So another idiot gets back to me and says EPP ends today, do you want me to contact you tomorrow with June promotions.

I think I'm done. Can't even get 2 quotes with COVID "internet" sales. I'll wait till the summer is over and the free stimulus money is gone. Just stop in when the places reopen and theirs 10 sales guys sitting outside with masks on holding in the drool when I pull in to the lot.

#74 ·
Being told now EPP only applies to vehicles on the lot, of which they have no Hemis anyway. How long does it take to generate a damn quote for a factory order?
No, he is wrong. Dealers will say anything to sell you a lot car but the truth is, it applies to ordered cars as well.

And it's locked in whenever it arrives, the build sheet will show Sold Order Protected.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#73 ·
No answer on the time for a quote. I've never ordered from the factory.

If a vehicle is not on the local lot I give my specs to the local salesman and have him search in his system becuase the Dodge site only extends 150 miles from your zip code. And so far every time I've done that the dealership is able to locate a car, even if the dealer they need to trade with is 300 or 400 miles away. Whatever rebates and discounts apply at the local dealer, they will apply to the vehicle they claw from another dealership.

#76 ·
Stopped by a dealer that had the doors open. No V8s on the lot but chatted with a sales guy. Said EPP ended but discussed my uncle worked at the Chrysler factory but has since passed away. Said I could get EPP as a family member but need his EP number. Anyone else familiar with this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.