Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
We have effectively allowed the media to "bully" the world's largest economy into shutting down. Who is closely aligned with the media? Think about that in November.

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
They are talking about social distancing when they open the plants back up in the U.S. Stating that they would have to re-evaluate the production methods. I wonder if the Brampton plant will do the same.

The 2020 V8's are going fast in my area. Plenty of V6 left but it will take a while before new RT's and Scats are shipped again.

We have effectively allowed the media to "bully" the world's largest economy into shutting down. Who is closely aligned with the media? Think about that in November.
You talking about Trump? He seems to be on TV a lot these days.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Both my wife and I have been in close contact with individuals who've tested positive. My wife was conducting an interview with a woman who tested positive 4 days later. A coworker of mine tested positive 8 days ago.

I take it seriously, wear a mask and gloves in public, but the world didn't stop turning. What drives me nuts is the people who are stuck at home and think the entire planet is stuck in their houses and get butthurt seeing people in public, meanwhile you have most people still working.

Are people going to stop driving cars due to them having a much higher death rate than CV? Are we going to panic next fall when 30 million plus and 30k did from the flu next year?

I'm to the point where I believe the economy needs to open. If you want to go out, do so, and if you don't feel comfortable, then stay home. If you're employer summons you back to work and you dont feel safe, then you're entitled to 12 weeks paid leave.

I'm also not a fan of the government telling us what should be common sense. If you want to be a jackass and go on spring break and get CV and infect all those around You? So be it. You're an idiot, but that's your choice.

It's very serious, however the media meltdown has amplified this into shutting the country down and destroying small businesses when 99% of the country is fine and will recover just like they do when they get the flu.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
A trip to the store reminded me of the decon drills in the military. You stand in line until the decon personnel direct you forward to step into a shuffle box followed by spraying your ass down.

Entering the store is an act in futility. You enter and get greeted by a decon team spraying down your cart in the vestibule area while maintaining a "safe" distance while they avoid eye contact because they don't know if your masked for a robbery or health. Then you get to push your cart through empty aisles.

When you check out you wait in line until the supermarket decon team decontaminates the checkout counter, takes a squirt of sanitizer and wipes the card scanner. Then you can enter the hot zone and look at the cashier ring your groceries up through plexiglass like an inmate shopping at the prison commissary.

And just as things are looking up, the news reports new studies saying that 6 feet distance really isnt sufficient social distancing.

I'm getting old and lazy so I copied and pasted the below numbers in case someone wants another cause for a frenzy

[1. 7,671 a day die from obesity worldwide (2.8 mil annual)

2. Estimates up to 59k this year in the US for influenza.

3. 1,772 die a day from heart disease in the US (647,000 annual).

4. 3,699 die a day worldwide from driving (1.35 mil annual)

5. Over 2 million die yearly worldwide from work related accidents and Illnesses.

6. From 2008-2015, 1,610 people died from animal attacks. Mostly from farm animals and bees/wasps. 86 annually from venomous animals.

7. 67,300 died from drug overdose in the US in 2018.

8. 88,000 died from alcohol abuse in the US annually.

9. 1,300 a day die from tobacco (personal or second hand).]

Oh yeah, let's not forget the 1 that got chopped up and fed to his wife's tiger.

And yes, this a frenzy because the cure is proving to be worse than the disease.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
You talking about Trump? He seems to be on TV a lot these days.
Trump is in the news quite a bit, but I don't think anyone believes the media is his friend. A "crisis" like this is the wet dream of the liberal big government crowd. They never let a "good crisis go to waste." Sigh....a whole country being strangled economically, the economic underclass now reminded of where they are in the pecking order and that they can just sit at home and the government will take care of them, and the economy pumped full of printed money not backed by any real output. A recipe for inflation. Just a few months ago, we had the lowest rate of unemployment ever. Most of the media is eating this up like candy.

Personally, I don't know anyone who is impacted by COVID. There are 5000 confirmed cases in Virginia and there are about 8.5 million residents. I take common sense precautions like I do normally during flu season, but haven't really changed my lifestyle all that much. If I ever needed another reason not to live in some crowded ubran area, I now have it.

Stay safe. Sorry, didn't mean to get all political. Just venting.

Best,

·
Registered
732 Posts
My daughter worked with someone who died from the coronavirus, the young lady was 29 years old.

She has a another friend who's in her early 50s & is recovering from the virus.

And another friend has an aunt who died.

You can believe what you want, but these are first hand experiences from my daughter. This virus is deadly. You can dismiss the seriousness of the situation until it affects you or your family & friends.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
My daughter worked with someone who died from the coronavirus, the young lady was 29 years old.

She has a another friend who's in her early 50s & is recovering from the virus.

And another friend has an aunt who died.

You can believe what you want, but these are first hand experiences from my daughter. This virus is deadly. You can dismiss the seriousness of the situation until it affects you or your family & friends.
I don't think I dismissed anything. Take common sense precautions and live your life. Tanking the global economy is likely to result in more death and suffering than results from the folks that are unfortunate enough to get sick from the disease. I'm fortunate enough to work at a job where I can work remotely pretty much indefinitely. I get to spend more time with my kids, save a ton of money on fuel, tolls, eating out, etc. Sounds great, eh? But there are many millions of people out there who don't have that luxury. They don't work, they don't get paid, they don't pay their bills, etc. Even if they don't get sick, those people are going to be financially crippled for years to come. The same goes for all the small businesses out there that don't have the financial wherewithall to ride this out without any customers.

The media feeding frenzy is totally out of hand. And frankly, so is the growing list of spam in my inbox from companies patting themselves on the backs telling me what they're doing to "help"....mostly shutting down. This too shall pass.

Best,

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Rant on:

No one on the forums is making light of this virus. People are saying to place everything in context and stop the frenzied responses. We all have lost family to one thing or another. My gransdon and his partner were on lockdown pending test results that came back negative. But they never were told what they suffered that put them on there backs for days earlier. Ten years ago I lost a 10 year old grandchild to respiratory failure due to Asthma after a 7 day battle, sitting at her bedside at Cooks Childrens Medical Center comforting her mother, and two sisters who also physically accompanied her on the patient bed into the surgery room where they disconnected life support and then exited the room pending her passing to become a donor. It was not a nice experience, and I know neither is seeing a loved one wheeled in to the hospital that cannot have visitors in today's pandemic.

Resources are finite and you can't shut down the economy for every virus that pops up in this modern time. The models were all incorrect and some attribute social distancing for that. Then yesterday studies show social distancing is not adequate because the virus's zone is larger than 6 feet. So what WTF is it you rocket scientists?.

The treatment plans are in development constantly being revised as they should while overworked medical workers in hardest affected cities are on the verge of physically collapse while other hospitals are not overwhelmed at all and able to contain patient load. Most suprisingly to me is the finding many patients would fair better off ventilators and laying prone face down to take pressure off the lungs from the heart. But no, you have a Gov in NY doing face time screaming about the need for ventilators when a few years ago they auctioned their strategic supply of then that were sitting in warehouses unused and unmaintained. And they were obsolete because the city didn't want to fund upgrades. But someone bought them and today is probably selling them back for use somewhere.

We are slightly over 1 month into tight restrictions affecting mobility, employment, freedom of religion, etc. The outcome is millions of new jobless claims meaning millions of unemployed households affecting millions more of the non working family members that depend on that salary to pay rent, car payments, utilities, food and clothing. Millions of school children are out of school and some of them are unable to continue their education even at home because of conditions despite the tremendous outreach of our educators. 15,000 people in San Antonio alone this week waited in line for food assistance. Many medical appointment are cancelled and many people unable to receive needed cancer treatments. And when this is all done there will be tens of millions, maybe 50 or 60 million living under the poverty level that were not before this began.

Politically speaking, its politicized and no one will turn that around. At least I don't hear Pelosi calling the stimulus crumbs this time.

Trust me, not one person is taking this pandemic lightly.

Rant off:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'm not taking it lightly, it's very serious. I'm taking the proper precautions and staying home other than work. But the flu is also dangerous. Driving my car is more dangerous. Drinking alcohol is dangerous.

The death rate is 4% reported in the US, and is actually probably much lower because most people that get sick don't go to the doctor or seek medical attention. Also reported deaths include elderly who die who had CV but also contracted pneumonia or had other complications.

I think being smart and living your life is the best idea, but if you want to stay home, fine. I just expect the same behavior next flu season from everyone walking around in gloves and masks while mowing their lawn.

The cure so far is worse than the disease. There are many millions more people who are going to lose their homes, investments, jobs and so on because of this than those who have unfortunately lost their lives.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
My Mother-in-law in Boston is now hospitalized and on a ventilator. Two nephews, one in Portland the other in Oakland, both had it and are recovering...its all media frenzy until it's someone you know..
Well, that was really fast, she passed early this morning. Services delayed until Aug-Sept...

·
Premium Member
3,005 Posts
Here in Knox, we have two large manufacturing companies both still paying wages but not requiring workers to come in if they do not want to. Denso is paying those that do come to work double time wages. (Company is paying not union dues) I see where other large companies are just laying off workers and letting the government take care of them. We have a little over 150 cases of the virus with a population over 450,000. Streets are empty except those going to essential jobs and grocery stores. It is amazing how this has played out. I just read that they expect 33% of those that rent have not paid for April. (Results out in May) Many of the people living paycheck to paycheck will not see the light of day for years IMO. When the social distancing is lifted, these same folks are going to owe April, May and June rents. It is going to take weeks if not months for some of these business to reopen to full capacity.

The media has put us in a frenzy but this all could have been avoided IMO. President Bush sounded the alarm back in 2005, creating panels to research what would happen in a pandemic and to put together a Plan-of-Action. It was not used for this emergency. IMO, complacency has put us in this predicament. Once the U.S. got to a certain point with this virus there was no stopping it. IMO if we had stuck to the guidelines put into place back in 2005/2006 most would still be working and the economy would not have taken a nose dive. The government has to be prepared in the coming decades because this will happen again. Maybe worst than this virus with all ages being equally susceptible. In my opinion the government has failed us with the decrease in funding for Medical Research and pandemics.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Well, that was really fast, she passed early this morning. Services delayed until Aug-Sept...
My condolences to you and your family. My wife's 90 year old grandmother has had it for about a week now, although she has been hospitalized for about 2 months prior due to a stroke.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh that is terrible, condolences to you and your entire family. Can't believe we are so powerless to stop this thing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 77 Posts