Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my car came out of warranty 2 months ago and this problem just started and is getting worse. When i'm at highway speed 55-65 mph and I brake I get a vibration in the front end. almost like i have warped rotors. I had my tie rods replaced under warranty a few months or so after i got the car. the rotors look ok, it's hard to tell i don't have the means to take the rotors off the car at this time b/c i don't have the tools to do so at my townhouse. i recently had the oil changed and tires rotated and the dealership checked the brakes and said they looked good, plenty of pad no rotor surface problems.

the car isn't making the noise it made or acting like it did when the tie rod needed replaced. the car brakes fine i just get that vibration through the brake pedal and the steering wheel when braking, i don't notice it at low speeds.

i can remember someone saying they had similar problems and it was their tie rods, how can i determine where the problem is coming from, any other ideas??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing, at about the same speeds, but only if I touch the brake pedal lightly, if I brake a little harder it stops. I guess the rotors are a little warped, you can't tell only by looking at them. It could be also the way in which the pads are making contact with the rotors, if I'm not braking hard enough maybe there is room for vibration. Just try to apply little more brake and see if it does the same.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
That's exactly what mine did before I had my rotors replaced (under warranty at 9.5k miles and 9 months). Now I don't feel the steering column shimmy at all.

·
Registered
183 Posts
brake rotors for sure.
Replaced my brakes for the same reason.
When you brake at high speed you create alot of heat that will cause this.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
at highway speeds it does it whether i hit them lightly or with more force. so i'm looking at new set of rotors and pads.... would you guys do the front only or all 4?? maybe time to upgrade brakes get slotted rotors, what size are our front and rear rotors?

·
Registered
183 Posts
at highway speeds it does it whether i hit them lightly or with more force. so i'm looking at new set of rotors and pads.... would you guys do the front only or all 4?? maybe time to upgrade brakes get slotted rotors, what size are our front and rear rotors?
The fronts do the majority of braking force, IIRC its like 85% (or something like that) is done with the fronts. I just upgraded my fronts to slotted 07 SRT rotors as the 06 SRT isnt slotted. Im not sure about your car, I dont know what works best.
Maybe a search would tell you what rotors are best.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts