Charger Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Charger is just over 3 months old with 8,500km on it (about 5,300 miles) and the brakes are squeeking already when I apply them!

Sounds like it's coming from the front left wheel.

WTF???

What does this mean? Could I need new brakes already? Anomoly? Should I take it to the dealer or just wait and see if it goes away???

:(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Been having the same problem, which started about the same timing and mileage as you mentioned. It's been over a month now since I noticed it. You have to be driving about 5-10 minutes so the brakes get nice and heated before it will happen.

I took it to the dealer, and of course they drive it around the block for about a minute and say they can't hear anything. Even though I told them it needs to get hot.

I have to go back next week for a check engine light problem, so I will make the service advisor drive with me when I get there and I know it's squeaking. Lately it seems to be getting even louder! WTF? It's ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
11,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WTF? It's ridiculous.
I'm not impressed. At all. Just went for a drive with my 12 year old son, and even he noticed it right away! "Dad, is that your brakes squeaking?"

I used to have a 2000 Malibu. Leased it for 3 years and it had 70,000 km on it (not miles) and we had to do the brakes 3 times during the lease. But 8,500km??? I don't drive it THAT hard!

Let me know how you make out at the dealer. I'll be taking mine in for the 10,000km oil change and tire rotation soon...

Thanks,

FLEX

·
Registered
554 Posts
I took mine in for this issue and they replaced the rear rotors. This did not solve the problem so I took it in again and now they have ordered a "New Type of pad" for the front. Goes back in Friday to have them installed.

According to the service advisor there is a high metal content in the pads that are used on the Charger and other DCX vehicles so this issue is known to them. Some squeeling is normal, but if they deem it "excessive" they will fix it under warranty until 12000 miles.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Welcome to the brake squeeling club. The pads that were choosen are just terrible for our car. The DCX engineers, the bean counters or the pad manufacturer, whos at fault?

Just buy a better aftermarket pad when it's time to replace them.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Welcome to the brake squeeling club. The pads that were choosen are just terrible for our car. The DCX engineers, the bean counters or the pad manufacturer, whos at fault?

Just buy a better aftermarket pad when it's time to replace them.
I hope to become an ex-member of this club come Friday when I get the "new type" of pad. If they work out I can post the part#'s

At least my dealer is acknowledging the problem and not denying it exists like some others have experienced. I am still under warranty so I am not going to let them off the hook yet.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My brakes have been squealing since about a week after I bought the car. Took it back immediately for it to be looked at. They took it for a drive and said everything was fine..... I said well its squealing---very loud and obnoxiously..... He says well the brakes themselves are fine....... I said well clearly they are not if they are squeaking...... He said well theres nothing we can do about it...... I say cant u at least cut my rotors and maybe throw on a different set of pads? (at this point I caught him off guard because he thought I was just some idiot who knew nothing about cars)...... and he goes, well, uhhhhh, if we..... dont...... see anything wrong and all it is is a..... uhhhh..... squeal, then theres nothing we can do about it!

Unreal, but I am gonna try going to a different dealership soon to have it looked it. Its worse now and just beyond annoying. Im at about 6000 miles now so I should try and do it before this 12000 mile thing comes up!

-Pat

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Mine stopped squealing after a while. Not sure why. They've been silent for maybe 10000 km now? (I'm at 49000)

Important thing to note for those who think their brakes don't squeal: Chargers are very well insulated for sound. Try listening for it with the window open! Big difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.