Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been talked about before but.....My 06 Dayton brakes screech really really loud, like able to hear over a tv in a third floor apartment loud. It is so embarrassing especially in a parking garage! I had my brakes checked and replaced the front ones, the guy said they were not even that bad, but they still screech. Is there ANYTHING I can do, i really want to be able to put the windows down again!!:bowdown:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Are they brand new brake pads? Sometimes when they are new they will squeak until you break them in. I would try Bedding your brakes, heres the link.... http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Hope this helps you out :beerchug:

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I have had this problem since I got the car and have taken it to the stealership several times & they say there is nothing wrong.... So I am just going to change them to something else.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Let us know who it works out for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
you ever come up with a fix?
my 06 daytona have squeked since day one.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
You can do a couple of things, get organic pads, pads with very little metallic, and most screeching is actually vibrations. You might need to clean and lube your caliper slides.You could also try some anti squeel spray on the back of the pads.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
are your pads metallic or ceramic?

you might just be better off replacing them with something advertised to be quiet (ie the posi-quiets) or something like that. the ceramic pads are generally quieter than the metallic but i believe they have a little less stopping power.

make sure your pads dont have the squealers grinding on the rotors as well, if you get a groove ground into the rotors it can sometimes cause new pads to squeal as well (which is where the rebedding would help):beerchug:

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I have the same problem. I got the front changed the guys gave me the okay the brakes shouldnt be screeching...sure enough i hit the brakes and my ears are bleeding.

To top it off my front ones i notice that there is like this powder on the rims that collect over a few days. :mad:

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I have the same problem. I got the front changed the guys gave me the okay the brakes shouldnt be screeching...sure enough i hit the brakes and my ears are bleeding.

To top it off my front ones i notice that there is like this powder on the rims that collect over a few days. :mad:
brake dust buildup

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
Know how i can stop it ?

Never had an issue before i got the fronts changed.
different pads tend to have more than others, the stock brembos were a brake dust WHORE monster, a friend of mine suggested to me to use spray silicone on the rims after a deep clean. Now i dunno how willing you are to put it on your rims but it works like magic-id get an insane amount of buildup where my rims were black and a garden hose would make em look good as new.

i only did it once b/c the new pads i got hardly have any dust at all

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
different pads tend to have more than others, the stock brembos were a brake dust WHORE monster, a friend of mine suggested to me to use spray silicone on the rims after a deep clean. Now i dunno how willing you are to put it on your rims but it works like magic-id get an insane amount of buildup where my rims were black and a garden hose would make em look good as new.

i only did it once b/c the new pads i got hardly have any dust at all

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
will switching to slotted rotors help ..which ones are the best if they do??:bowdown:
that's all opinionated for which is the best. you have slotted (the / shaped slots in the rotors) drilled (little holes drilled in the rotors to help dissipate heat) and dimpled (same idea as drilled but more structurally sound with sacrifice of less heat dissipation)

I have slotted and dimpled rotors from Brake Performance, i got them from their website because it was the cheapest place i could find and they included pads for free (but i paid a measly $10 more for them to be upgraded to ceramic pads for less noise and less dust). Now i know the cheapest isn't always the best but i went out on a limb with these guys and do not regret it.

I'm not too sure if the slotted/drilled/dimpled parts would help with brake dust but i know they help for stopping power galore. Getting ceramic pads over metallic pads should help though, and also the brand. Brembos and other high performance pads will dust more (correct me if im wrong anyone) because they're made of a softer compound for maximum stopping power (i've used the brembos, stop tech and posi-quiet with the last two being noiseless and hardly any powder)

I would also browse a few of the forum vendor sites for which brands they carry, with a little research you might get your own feeling for what you'd trust over other brands based on looks, price, and other ratings/opinions :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
invictu what do you recommend then because i need new brake pads and rotors i dont care about price or dirt only this i care about is being able to slow down... and also less noise! i drive usually 100-160mph to and from work 25 mi round trip what do you recommend>?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Some WD40 will do the trick , I always use it on my squeaky windshield wipers.

NOT!!!!!! I'm just kidding , could not resist myself to write this ......sorry ..... I thought it was funny ........ well maybe not.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts