Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice, I recently bought a used 06 R/T with 20k miles, the brakes squeak and I know its a common thing. When I bought back to the service department the service manager said you should have your rotors cut. The question is, should I insisit on new rotors or let them cut the old ones. I once herd that once they are cut they are never the same.... any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
You can insist on whatever you're willing to pay for. At 23K miles i just swapped my rotors out with new ones. I did the job myself

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I need some advice, I recently bought a used 06 R/T with 20k miles, the brakes squeak and I know its a common thing. When I bought back to the service department the service manager said you should have your rotors cut. The question is, should I insisit on new rotors or let them cut the old ones. I once herd that once they are cut they are never the same.... any help would be appreciated.
cutting the rotors is a normal procedure when replacing brake pads, i dont know who told you they are never the same, but thats what cutting the rotors is...it just takes the surface down a bit to ensure good pad to rotor adhesion, consider upgrading to slotted rotors and the pads to go with them, ive heard a bunch of guys with this same prob with some cars, and they changes to slotted rotors and it was all gooooood:grin:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
and if you have 20's on your car that will cause your brakes to work harder to slow down the wheel meaning more heat and more noise and more brake wear...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very good point.....

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
No - they won't ever be the same in so far as when they cut them, they will be machining off material, which will 1) wear the disc out more quickly (you have artificially lost disc material) and 2) they are now going to be a little lighter.

#2 is an important consideration, as the mass (amount of material) of the braking rotor is important WRT the amount of energy that can be turned from kinetic energy into heat. If you loose mass, you loose some of that capability. In other words, worn out discs, or discs that have had material machined off of them have LESS capability than (for example) new discs with all their material still there.

Now - this does not mean that your brakes will be poor, it just means that they are likely to fade 'a tiny bit' quicker than they would have done before the machining. Now - I can't give you numbers, because I don't know them, but for normal/hard use you'll prolly be fine - and would be hard pressed to tell a difference, however, for extremely hard use, you might.

So - yes - once you machine off material, the brakes will not be the same, they will have lost a little performance, however, the magnitude of the loss will probably be small.

·
Registered
143 Posts
All of the above is correct. In past experience once the rotors are cut it's just a matter of time before they warp. Especially with the weight of the Charger.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys thaks for all you advice I think I am going to insist on new ones and play it safe...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts