Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To anyone that will listen--

Please educate me. I took my SRT in to the dealer b/c it was making a tingling sound on the right side. They told me that my rear brakes needed servicing and it would be $400. My question is this--how can the back brakes wear out b/f the front where all the weight of the car is?

If this dealer is being straight with me, is this a reasonable price for servicing both rear brakes?

Thanks to all who find the will to respond!:knockout:

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
You can get the pads for $135/pair.
$100/labor isn't terrible.

They aren't hard to do yourself though. :whistle:

www.highhorseperformance.com has the parts online.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I really needed to know why the dealer recommended servicing only the rear brakes. How could they be worn out b/f the front ones???

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
thats normal-and if your doing power brake burn outs that will help them along also. OUR cars have a balance of 50/50 and with the front brakes being much bigger then the rears its normal to wear the rears out first. check the fronts also they will be close to the same wear. how many miles are on your srt?

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Nah, heres whats most likely going on. See, traction control uses the rear brakes to control wheelspin. If your constantly letting HAL cut your power, hes using the brakes more than you are.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great input. Thanks a bunch. I have 23K on my beast and had the slotted rotors installed at about 8K.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes,the rear brakes will wear out before the fronts. If you are doing any aggressive driving it would be better to turn off your esp.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Hmmm, dunno, rear pads are a lot cheaper than tires. :)

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Hmmm, dunno, rear pads are a lot cheaper than tires. :)
Yeah almost the same situation when I was talking to a guy who had a Manual Trans car, he was telling that he loves to down shift in order to reduce brake wear, that is until I told him that he is working the tranny more it should and will most likely wear out the clutch which would be a harder and more expensive fix.

·
Registered
939 Posts
FYI, for those that don't already know it, the surface area of the rear pads is quite a bit smaller than that of the fronts; in addition, the brand new rear pad has a thickness of about 9 mm while the front pad starts with 12 mm.

Add that to the ESP effect and it adds up to the rears going first.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Not that much - he just spent $400 on rear pads!
Not that much! Thats tooooo much for me, I will end up doing my own brake job thank you very much.:smoke:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yes,the rear brakes will wear out before the fronts. If you are doing any aggressive driving it would be better to turn off your esp.
Not really. Anytime your SRT8 senses one rear wheel spinning faster than the other it will apply the rear brake on that wheel. This cannot be disabled with the push of any buttons.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
btw, just had my brakes checked this morning 12/32 front, 10/32 rears.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I think it might be cheaper to turn it off and go through tires quicker.

You can't compare the total cost of each. You have to compare the change in cost of each.

Let's say that with ESP on your rear pads last 20,000 miles. With it off they last 60,000 miles. It costs $400 per brake job. ESP off saves you $0.02 per mile.

Now let's say that you normally get 30,000 miles on your rear tires and turning ESP off cuts that down to 20,000 miles. Let's guess rear tires are $500. Now you are going to spend an extra $0.01 per mile in tires so overall you save $0.01 per mile.

Now your actual figures will vary of course but that is what you have to look at.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's probably a similar situation to most vehicles. The rear brakes do more of the stopping than the front. That prevents the severe nose-dive of the vehicle and helps maintain control. I had the same thing with my Chevy Avalanche; the rears were grinding on metal and the fronts were only worn a couple of mm (almost like new). The rears were so bad that I had to get my rotors turned.

So yeah, I believe it will usually be the case.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
At what milage have you folks seen the rear brakes going??I have just a hair under 18k and they are squeeling in the back a little.Think this is normal??And yes I do drive the crap out of my car:grin: Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts