Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brake squeal (still ) after 6000 mile or so on pads?
I installed new pads and rotors on the front of my car and they still squeal when nearing a complete stop.
You can only notice it really when the windows are open.
I used ceramic pads from NAPA.
The brakes work fine, just want to get rid of this noise.

Any thoughts to how to alleviate this?

·
Registered
440 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Did you properly bed the brakes?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Same problem here. I changed rotors and pads. I used brake quiet and the ceramic brake lube on all the contact points. Guess I'll wait a few more miles and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
You need to bed the brakes in properly and the squeal will go away

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Is it a ceramic brake thing? Same thing is happening to me. No other noise... just light braking causes squealing... harder braking does not... did the brake bedding process as well...
i didnt use the lil grease packet that came with the ceramic pads tho, where do i use that?

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
Is it a ceramic brake thing? Same thing is happening to me. No other noise... just light braking causes squealing... harder braking does not... did the brake bedding process as well...
i didnt use the lil grease packet that came with the ceramic pads tho, where do i use that?
You are supposed to put the anti-squeal grease on the back of the pads where they contact the caliper pistons. It's designed to dampen the vibrations that occur on light braking that result in the high-pitched squeal sound.

Without the grease, the pad floats and vibrates against the piston at a high frequency until more pedal is applied. The bedding process reduces the surface friction between the pad and rotor that contributes to the vibration magnitude and resulting sound...but doesn't eliminate the vibration between the pad and caliper piston.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Ahhh.... okie dokie, there were no instructions with it whatsoever, i thought it was for the guide pins.
the rear brake pads didnt come with it and dont make that noise at all, though they are semi-metallic.
Ive a small project for saturday morning then lol, thanks D

·
Vendor
10,364 Posts
The other thing that has been lost over the years is to burnish the rotors before you put them on. On both sides with 80 grit sand paper. I learned this 34 years ago at Jim and Jay Auto parts in Akron.

Guy finished very fine cutting of my rotor for my 69 Charger. He then took the sandpaper and made a lot of swirl marks all around the disc on both sides. I asked him why he was doing that and he told me that it allows the brakes to break in correctly. Otherwise the very small grooves in the disk after machining will act like phonograph needles on the grooves and squeal!

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts