Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching the forums for ideas on upgrading my brakes (basically, just pads for right now), and the consensus seems to be the Centric Posi-Quiets (I probably got that mixed up). However, most everyone agrees that they give a softer pedal, and I don't want that. So my question is:

What pads should I use that have low dust, no noise, better stopping distance, and still have a firm pedal?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I've been searching the forums for ideas on upgrading my brakes (basically, just pads for right now), and the consensus seems to be the Centric Posi-Quiets (I probably got that mixed up). However, most everyone agrees that they give a softer pedal, and I don't want that. So my question is:

What pads should I use that have low dust, no noise, better stopping distance, and still have a firm pedal?
I dont' have a softer pedal feel with my centric posiquiet ceramics. I'm using centric drilled/slotted rotors as well. I prefer them much more performance wise to the stock ones.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
EBC Red Stuffs...Ceramic Pads. I have them on the rears
Here are some pics I took today to show the diff between the stock pads which I still have on the front and the EBC Redstuff rears

Front Stock Pads After a week of driving

Rear EBC's after a week of driving

I feel like the pads are very close to stock as far as performance, and produce much less dust, they are not dust free but the difference is measurable.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
I, too, have the Centric Posiquiets and I don't notice a softer pedal. I did have my brake fluid completely replaced, though, since the pedal had been a bit soft since a track event. The brake fluid replacement took care of that.

I haven't seen any posts about people bleeding their brakes when replacing their pads - perhaps there is a need to do that on these cars when compressing the piston to insert a new pad.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
i dont know about these cars, as i have not noticed what im going to mention.

but a lot of cars have MUCh worse wear and dust on their front brakes over the rears.

like i said, ive noticed pretty even amounts of dust on my fronts and rears when i wash my car, but its just somethign to keep in mind i spose

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mnunes, that's a good point. I have had my car to the track once, and maybe I boiled the brake fluid. I think I'll change it out when I get new pads.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have Centric Posi's and do not feel any difference in my brake pedal. Been very pleased with them overall.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Mnunes, that's a good point. I have had my car to the track once, and maybe I boiled the brake fluid. I think I'll change it out when I get new pads.
Did your brake foot go to the floor whilst you were on the track?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
You can not "boil" brake fluid. It's oil. Also, since the brake fluid is contained within a closed system, there is no way for the burnt oil (if over heated) to get back up to the master cylinder to impede pedal function.

There is no need to "bleed" the system for pad change, as you are not compromising the hydraulic system to allow air intrusion. Now if you rebuild the calipers and change seals, then yes, bleeding is required. Also, because we have ABS modules, the simple press the pedal and crack open the bleed valve, is not sufficient to bleed out the entire system. Best left to the professionals/dealers to change out or flush the system.

If the pedal feel is "soft" your pads have lost gripping ability with the rotor or are glazed.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did your brake foot go to the floor whilst you were on the track?
No, the car did great at the track. I never even felt the brakes fade. I've always felt that the brakes on the Charger were not up to snuff. I know it's a big heavy car, but it seems to have a softer pedal than what I'm used to in my GM or Ford cars. Maybe it's OK and normal, but this being my first Dodge, I don't feel comfortable with it.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
i dont know about these cars, as i have not noticed what im going to mention.

but a lot of cars have MUCh worse wear and dust on their front brakes over the rears.

like isaid, Ive noticed pretty even amounts of dust on my fronts and rears when i wash my car, but its just somethign to keep in mind i spose
My Fronts are always worse as far as dust goes but when I had the stock pads in the rear after a week both wheels were black, now just my fronts are after switching the rears to EBC's, Cant wait to change the fronts now

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered a set of Red Stuffs. I'm going to change out the brake fluid to DOT 4 when I swap the pads, then I should be good to go. I think the feel will be more to my liking then.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts